The 2009 NBA Finals Thread...Lakers win series (4-1)

Nav22

Reaction score
Is there any way the Magic can win?
Absolutely.

I'm picking the Lakers, but I wouldn't be shocked if Orlando won it.

I was shocked when they overcame Big Baby's game-winner and the Howard-Van Gundy turmoil to beat Boston...

Then I was shocked when they overcame LeBron's game-winner and knocked off the #1 seed and everyone's Finals pick...

So I'm done being shocked by anything Orlando does. They swept the Lakers in the regular season and Dwight Howard is playing as well as he's ever played. He even made 70% of his FTs in the Cleveland series.

Bynum has been a no-show for the most part this postseason, and Gasol was punked by the Boston bigs in last year's Finals. If Howard can dominate the paint AND stay out of foul trouble, Orlando has a great chance.

That's a big "if" though... Gasol is no slouch, and the Lakers' slashers will be tough to contain.

Lewis and Turkoglu basically cancel out Odom and Ariza.

The PG matchup is fairly even as well... Alston is better than Fisher, but the Lakers' depth at the position (Shannon Brown, Jordan Farmar) is more impressive than Orlando's (Anthony Johnson).

Kobe should be able to tear it up, which I think will ultimately be the difference. Orlando will have to jack up 3s to try and keep up, and they'll win a few games because of it.

But I don't think they'll win 4 games vs. the Lakers that way... the Lakers are too potent offensively and won't go through the dry spells that LeBron's not-so-supporting cast went through.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Nav22;2794198 said:
Absolutely.

I'm picking the Lakers, but I wouldn't be shocked if Orlando won it.

I was shocked when they overcame Big Baby's game-winner and the Howard-Van Gundy turmoil to beat Boston...

Then I was shocked when they overcame LeBron's game-winner and knocked off the #1 seed and everyone's Finals pick...

So I'm done being shocked by anything Orlando does. They swept the Lakers in the regular season and Dwight Howard is playing as well as he's ever played. He even made 70% of his FTs in the Cleveland series.

Bynum has been a no-show for the most part this postseason, and Gasol was punked by the Boston bigs in last year's Finals. If Howard can dominate the paint AND stay out of foul trouble, Orlando has a great chance.

That's a big "if" though... Gasol is no slouch, and the Lakers' slashers will be tough to contain.

Lewis and Turkoglu basically cancel out Odom and Ariza.

The PG matchup is fairly even as well... Alston is better than Fisher, but the Lakers' depth at the position (Shannon Brown, Jordan Farmar) is more impressive than Orlando's (Anthony Johnson).

Kobe should be able to tear it up, which I think will ultimately be the difference. Orlando will have to jack up 3s to try and keep up, and they'll win a few games because of it.

But I don't think they'll win 4 games vs. the Lakers that way... the Lakers are too potent offensively and won't go through the dry spells that LeBron's not-so-supporting cast went through.

Touche

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
It should be a good series. I honestly can see it going either way. Kobe so badly wants to win w/o Shaq. Phil Jackson wants that one more title to break tie with Red Auerbach. If Lakers win, it would not suprise me to see Jackson retire...then coach Lebron in 2 years. :)

The Magic had a very good year. They were under the radar even with 59 wins because of Cavs, Celtics and Lakers getting all the hype. Their outside shooting has been unreal, plus Howard has really shown he can be dominant.

I just hope it goes 7.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
:lmao2: :lmao: Lebron went mute on us. NICEEEEEEEE

Just as I had assumed over in the FZ Slate... You're Anti-Lakers. You & everyone else are going to be upset when the Lakers take it in 5. ;)

Is Lebron officially a member of the WPP?

2412501wpp.jpg

adamknite

Reaction score
I'm pulling for Stan Van Gundy, so I hope the Magic win. I think the Lakers will though, and I like the Lakers so I wouldn't feel too bad if they did win. It's going to be fun watching it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2793684 said:
PG - Push, Both Alston and Fisher are similar players, who can stretch the floor, yet are not looked on to score very often. Fisher has the experience here, so maybe a slight nod to LA

SG - Def. advantage to the Lakers. Lee/Peitrius will not be able to control Kobe in the Finals, as they are going to have to change how they are playing defense. Kobe is completely different than Lebron as far as his offense goes, as Kobe is alot smarter and relies less on physical ability.

SF - Push, Hedo and Lamar Odom are similar style players, as they are a point guard trapped in a big's body. Ariza may be matched up against Lewis at the 4, as he is quicker and a better defender, so the 3 and 4 positions can be swapped depending on who is on the floor.

PF - Lakers. They will try to create a mismatch by getting Gasol into space on Lewis, but I expect Ariza or Odom to be guarding him often. Either way, the Lakers have an advantage here down low on both offense and defense, and with the Lakers having flexibility with Lamar Odom outside.

C - Def advantage Magic. However, Gasol/Bynum are MUCH better matchups than what the Magic just faced on both the offensive and defensive side. Yeah Varajo is a energy player, but Gasol/Bynum are more talented, and can move alot better than Big Z. That being said, Howard is the best big man in the game.

A big thing for me is Kobe has been here before, but more importantly the Lakers are by far the most talented team in the league. Everyone can get theirs, but more importantly everyone is athletic enough to stay with the flexible offensive threats of the Magic either outside or inside. Their bigs can shoot AND move their feet down low, and Kobe is the best closer in the game.

My prediction is Lakers in 6.

*Edit* Oh I just want to add, I'm definitely rooting for the Magic, but I think LA will win it.

How is PG a push? Fisher has been terrible.

I'm not betting against Kobe, that's for damn sure.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Lakers.......Kobe.......Phil..........POLARIZING.

You love 'em or you hate 'em. A lot like a certain NFL franchise we all know about.

First off, fans in Cleveland are left with nothing whatsoever. Not only did their dream end, but who do they root for now? Certainly not Orlando. And this whole thing was supposed to be all about LeBron vs. Kobe, so they've been pre-hating on LA for a month now in preparation for "the showdown". It wasn't to be. Might as well set your sights on the Injuns or the Browns now, because they have nothing...........

Now, without having a crystal ball, all you have to go on is Championship experience and the coach, players and franchise who'se been there and knows how to close this thing down. That would be LA. I like Orlando, their game and their coach. But at this point, I can't see it.

All you Kobe and LA haters are in for a long summer. There'll be a lot of hand-wringing and "paper champs" stuff because KG got hurt. You're gonna' hear a lot of sour grapes about "how LeBron would've schooled Kobe", blah, blah, blah.................They'll compare how weak this Laker team is compared to former Laker iconic teams, and you'll hear all about parity and how that afforded an average team a trophy. But when it's all said and done, their gonna' be the champs w/o any asterisks.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Dash28;2794333 said:
First off Slate Bynum would never be assigned Lewis. Lakers in 6.

Where would he be assiged to then? Rashard? :lmao2: Oh man...Rashard will beat Bynum off the dribble or pull up for a J..the defense has to collapse on Lewis and all it takes is a little pass over to Turk,Alston or Peitrus for 3. Just call Rashard Lewis "the kitchen cabinet" because he's full of dishes!!!

RESIN8

Reaction score
Wierd thing about this series is that both supporting towns are amazingly similar. This series is for the "Plastic People".

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
RESIN8;2794872 said:
Wierd thing about this series is that both supporting towns are amazingly similar. This series is for the "Plastic People".

Not really. That's more Miami. Orlando is more family vacationing and suburbs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2794530 said:
Where would he be assiged to then? Rashard? :lmao2: Oh man...Rashard will beat Bynum off the dribble or pull up for a J..the defense has to collapse on Lewis and all it takes is a little pass over to Turk,Alston or Peitrus for 3. Just call Rashard Lewis "the kitchen cabinet" because he's full of dishes!!!

Bynam will likely not start. He will play off the bench and be used to foul Howard. I believe the starting lineup will be Fisher, Bryant, Ariza, Odom and Gasol.

I believe that the lakers will allow Howard to get his but they will shut down that 3 point game the Magic depend on. I don't believe that the Magic have anybody who can break L.A. down off the dribble. If they can't do this, then they probably can't get open looks like they did with Cleveland. The 3 pt shots will be contested. The Lakers are too big to shoot over. Ariza is a very athletic 6-8, Odom is 6-10 and also athletic. Kobe is one of the best defenders in the NBA. If he's playing a guard, there is no way any guard in the league can consistently score on him IMO. Howard can not play with his back to the basket IMO. He faces up and takes you to the hole or he tries to take you above the rim. Gasol, on the other hand, can take Howard away from the basket. Gasol can shoot the jumper and he can play with his back to the basket. I believe that Howard is going to have his hands full defending Gasol. That will definatly take away from his offensive game IMO. I guess we'll see.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2794986 said:
I don't believe that the Magic have anybody who can break L.A. down off the dribble.

Ever heard of Skip To My Lou? ;)

Lord knows Fisher won't be a problem for him to dribble circles around.

Also Gasol can hit the jumper occasionally but he's not a jump shooter by any stretch, most of his offense comes from posting up. I don't think there's a way to neutralize Howard defensively, Illguskas took a bunch of shots away from the basket and wasn't able to do it but overall, the Lakers are certainly better defensively than the Cavs and unlike the Cavs that have run their entire offense through Lebron, Phil doesn't allow the Lakers to just give the ball to Kobe and stand at the corners, watching him work.

And Slate, why aren't you rocking your sig? Not going to honor your word now that you've witnessed the horror?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2794986 said:
Bynam will likely not start. He will play off the bench and be used to foul Howard. I believe the starting lineup will be Fisher, Bryant, Ariza, Odom and Gasol.

I believe that the lakers will allow Howard to get his but they will shut down that 3 point game the Magic depend on. I don't believe that the Magic have anybody who can break L.A. down off the dribble. If they can't do this, then they probably can't get open looks like they did with Cleveland. The 3 pt shots will be contested. The Lakers are too big to shoot over. Ariza is a very athletic 6-8, Odom is 6-10 and also athletic. Kobe is one of the best defenders in the NBA. If he's playing a guard, there is no way any guard in the league can consistently score on him IMO. Howard can not play with his back to the basket IMO. He faces up and takes you to the hole or he tries to take you above the rim. Gasol, on the other hand, can take Howard away from the basket. Gasol can shoot the jumper and he can play with his back to the basket. I believe that Howard is going to have his hands full defending Gasol. That will definatly take away from his offensive game IMO. I guess we'll see.

So Bynum is just going to be a foul machine? lol wow so he's completely out of the game plans I guess. Odom is a terrible defender. He's soft and can easily get beaten off the dribble. The Magic cause you to scramble on defense and their ball movement kills you.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2794996 said:
Ever heard of Skip To My Lou? ;)

Lord knows Fisher won't be a problem for him to dribble circles around.

Also Gasol can hit the jumper occasionally but he's not a jump shooter by any stretch, most of his offense comes from posting up. I don't think there's a way to neutralize Howard defensively, Illguskas took a bunch of shots away from the basket and wasn't able to do it but overall, the Lakers are certainly better defensively than the Cavs and unlike the Cavs that have run their entire offense through Lebron, Phil doesn't allow the Lakers to just give the ball to Kobe and stand at the corners, watching him work.

And Slate, why aren't you rocking your sig? Not going to honor your word now that you've witnessed the horror?

Is it week 1 yet?:rolleyes: