The 2009 NBA Finals Thread...Lakers win series (4-1)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;2795141 said:
Yes I did and I will go further and say that most of the outside shooting did not come off of transition. I mean, if that's what you saw, OK, but that's not what I saw. I guess we'll see what happens. I don't know how you can say that the Lakers defense is not sound. I guess I would ask you why you believe this?
It's sound when they want it to be. The Lakers defensively have been very inconsistent this postseason. Sometimes they go out and can roll over a team and then others they play slow-footed and soft.

Just inconsistent from game to game. Never know which Lakers defense is going to show up.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2795191 said:
If Howard completely dominates Gasol, which I don't believe will happen, then I think Orlando has an excellent chance of winning. JMO

:lmao: :lmao: You don't think Howard will dominate Gasol? Please give me whatever your smoking please. Gasol is one of the worst defenders in the league. He is so soft it's comical. Dwights strength will toss him around like a little ragdoll. Remember Louis Scola? hahaha that was just a clinic.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2795197 said:
And if you want to let Gasol shoot 10-15 foot shots as Howard stays under the rim, its going to be a short series..

I know!! Exactly!! Magic in 5.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2795197 said:
I know you dont need it, but I feel obliged to give it.

Now, the Magic also had Jameer Nelson for those two wins in the regular season. Notice how it is REGULAR SEASON. This is now the finals where almost the entire Lakers team has been. No one on the Magic has been there, except Tyronn Lue, and he doesnt count because he is the 12th man.

And if you want to let Gasol shoot 10-15 foot shots as Howard stays under the rim, its going to be a short series. The Lakers match up extremely well against Orlando.

Next Generation is right. In both of those games, Nelson used dribble penetration to break down the Laker defense and cause problems. I think that's key in this series. I don't think you can look at what happened in the regular season and count on that in the finals. Not saying Orlando can't win but I am saying that you can't think your going to get that kind of defensive breakdown from the Lakers on you jump shooters because you don't have the guy to force it anymore.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2795199 said:
It's sound when they want it to be. The Lakers defensively have been very inconsistent this postseason. Sometimes they go out and can roll over a team and then others they play slow-footed and soft.

Just inconsistent from game to game. Never know which Lakers defense is going to show up.

I don't really agree with this. The Lakers lost when they didn't rebound and when they didn't make free throws. There defense IMO, was not the main reason. JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2795200 said:
:lmao: :lmao: You don't think Howard will dominate Gasol? Please give me whatever your smoking please. Gasol is one of the worst defenders in the league. He is so soft it's comical. Dwights strength will toss him around like a little ragdoll. Remember Louis Scola? hahaha that was just a clinic.

I recall telling you that Cleveland could get beaten by the Magic. I also remember telling you that L.A. would beat Denver. Your 0-2 so far as I can tell.

There are two parts to the game of Basketball. One is offense, the other defense. If we are going to say that Howard will dominate Gasol, that has to be on both ends of the court and I don't see that happening.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2795212 said:
I recall telling you that Cleveland could get beaten by the Magic. I also remember telling you that L.A. would beat Denver. Your 0-2 so far as I can tell.

There are two parts to the game of Basketball. One is offense, the other defense. If we are going to say that Howard will dominate Gasol, that has to be on both ends of the court and I don't see that happening.

Well just call me Romo because I'm 0-2:rolleyes:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;2795208 said:
I don't really agree with this. The Lakers lost when they didn't rebound and when they didn't make free throws. There defense IMO, was not the main reason. JMO
Rebounding is part of defense, though. It's all heart and hustle and want to. Lakers haven't consistently shown that.

When they're on, they're really on. When they're not, well you get took to 7 games by teams you should've rolled on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2795215 said:
Well just call me Romo because I'm 0-2:rolleyes:

Quincy was also 0-2. Would you like to be called Quincy instead?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2795180 said:
I'm sorry but I take anything you say basketball related with a grain of salt.

You give Gasol space on 10-15 footers and the Lakers sweep the series. Thats a main part of his game is his midrange jumper.

Do you watch basketball?

Ownage in progress.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2795185 said:
:laugh2: Sorry I don't need your opinion.

Magic=2-0 against the Lakers in regular season. They know how to beat them and it was because they let Gasol shoot. It's mismatch city and BYEnum is just trash and will be a non-factor this series other than doing a "hack-a-dwight" all series. Kobe will get his, just like LeBron got his.

:lmao:

Everyone knows you step it up in the playoffs. You will see the Purp & Gold hoisting the trophy very soon!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2795199 said:

The right Laker defense will show up at least 4 times. :D

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2795202 said:
I know!! Exactly!! Magic in 5.

There's that little x factor by the name of Black Mamba. Just thought I would refresh your memory... Who is going to put the lock on him? :)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2795224 said:
Rebounding is part of defense, though. It's all heart and hustle and want to. Lakers haven't consistently shown that.

When they're on, they're really on. When they're not, well you get took to 7 games by teams you should've rolled on.

The Lakers probably should have rolled over Houston but they didn't. If you look at the 3 games the Lakers lost, here is what you see.

Houston only scored 100 one time. The rest of the games, LA held Houston to under 100 (98, 94, 99, 78, 95 and 70). I don't think it was there best series by any stretch but I don't think they were horrible defensively. I just don't think they rebounded very well and I don't think they shot FTs very well.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bleu Star;2795252 said:
The right Laker defense will show up at least 4 times. :D
You better hope so.

I think they'll take the series, but they can't be playing Jekyll and Hyde on the court.

ABQCOWBOY;2795255 said:
The Lakers probably should have rolled over Houston but they didn't. If you look at the 3 games the Lakers lost, here is what you see.

Houston only scored 100 one time. The rest of the games, LA held Houston to under 100 (98, 94, 99, 78, 95 and 70). I don't think it was there best series by any stretch but I don't think they were horrible defensively. I just don't think they rebounded very well and I don't think they shot FTs very well.
Giving up 90+ to an undersized Houston team is bad. No matter how you look at it. I love the Rockets, but after Yao went out, they should've steamrolled them...and didn't.

Like I said, their rebounding is all part and parcel of their inconsistent defensive intensity. You can focus on free throws, I prefer to focus on their inconsistency on the defensive end.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2795271 said:
You better hope so.

I think they'll take the series, but they can't be playing Jekyll and Hyde on the court.

Giving up 90+ to an undersized Houston team is bad. No matter how you look at it. I love the Rockets, but after Yao went out, they should've steamrolled them...and didn't.

Like I said, their rebounding is all part and parcel of their inconsistent defensive intensity. You can focus on free throws, I prefer to focus on their inconsistency on the defensive end.

If that is what you choose to do, that's fine with me.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2795254 said:
There's that little x factor by the name of Black Mamba. Just thought I would refresh your memory... Who is going to put the lock on him? :)

No one..The Black Gardner Snake will get his..there's no doubt. But Byebye Gasol. Byebye Ariza.ByeBye BYEnum.Buhbye Odom. If the Magic swept them I wouldn't be surprised. Lakers D is inconsistant and is way to soft.

Man I can't wait to see Gasol get abused on both ends!!!!!!!!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2795314 said:
No one..The Black Gardner Snake will get his..there's no doubt. But Byebye Gasol. Byebye Ariza.ByeBye BYEnum.Buhbye Odom. If the Magic swept them I wouldn't be surprised. Lakers D is inconsistant and is way to soft.

Man I can't wait to see Gasol get abused on both ends!!!!!!!!

You mean the way the Cav's did? :laugh2:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I think the Lakers win cause the Magic have no one to guard Kobe.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Rampage;2795366 said:
I think the Lakers win cause the Magic have no one to guard Kobe.

Dont underestimate Michael Peitrius on the defensive end. He's no slouch.

That being said, no one can guard Kobe. He's the best in the game