Twitter: The 2019 Draft Class

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Makes me think of the special teams draft.
There's some comparisons......traded for Roy Williams....traded for Amari Cooper.......I didn't see any potential in that draft. I think Pollard, McGovern and Wilson have potential at least. And even though fans seem to hate him.....there's potential with Hill too. But there defiantly is some similarities.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
lets come to conclusion half way through the first year they are in the league, because God knows if by now they are not producing, they are all busts
Okay. I will play.

Name the last time when a draft class (not one player) just suddenly rebounded in order to look good?

I guess that is what people like you are wishing for.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Okay. I will play.

Name the last time when a draft class (not one player) just suddenly rebounded in order to look good?

I guess that is what people like you are wishing for.
Half of the guys are hurt and the other guys aren't better than what's in front of them.

Take 2016 for instance. If we don't have a 1st round pick and Romo never gets hurt.......our 2nd round pick didn't play....Charles Tapper didn't play and neither did Rico. So basically it would've been Anthony Brown and Maliek Collins........two guys who started for us at times that year but my point is....this year isn't really that different from other years. Not nearly as good as 2016......But with Hill, Wilson and McGovern that's two potential future starters with Pollard. Not nearly as bad as you guys are making it.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
you mean the contributions from rookies through 7 games which stared with a 2nd round pick as the top talent? Yeah I’m not worried about that.
cut it whatever you want , look around the league. Teams expect contributions from rookies. We have been very good in recent years but this one looks poor, it's ok to admit it and still be a fan...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Half of the guys are hurt and the other guys aren't better than what's in front of them.

Take 2016 for instance. If we don't have a 1st round pick and Romo never gets hurt.......our 2nd round pick didn't play....Charles Tapper didn't play and neither did Rico. So basically it would've been Anthony Brown and Maliek Collins........two guys who started for us at times that year but my point is....this year isn't really that different from other years. Not nearly as good as 2016......But with Hill, Wilson and McGovern that's two potential future starters with Pollard. Not nearly as bad as you guys are making it.
So tell me what makes Wilson and McGovern starters again? Because we hope they will be?

And by all means ignore Hill, whose output puts a foul stench on the picks below, to the point we have to hope they make it to at least claim some portion of pride.

HungryLion

Reaction score
First let me say that I am not and was not happy with them drafting Trysten Hill over Juan Thornhill.

Thornhill was the better prospect who also played at a position of major need.

The cowboys reached on a project defensive tackle who should have been taken a round later.

That being said.

You have to factor in that they got Amari Cooper with the first rounder. You have to.

I am biased as a pen state alumnus. But I do honestly think McGovern is going to be a quality starting guard in the NFL.

They got their primary back up RB in the 4th round. That’s solid for a 4th round pick.

Anything beyond the 4th round is always just rolling the dice anyway. If Donovan Wilson can be a decent player. That would be a win.

So even if they bust out on Hill. But McGovern ends up being a starter in the league. Getting Amari Cooper and McGovern is very good for the first 3 rounds.

Getting a primary back up RB and special teamer in the 4th round and a back up safety in the 6th isn’t bad either.

Point is. The draft overall looks like it will be an above average NFL draft.

If they had taken Thornhill like they should have, it would be a home run. To be honest.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’m going to throw in this thought too:

Any lack of production by Pollard thus far, isn’t an indictment on drafting. It’s an indictment on our coaches that have repeatedly proven they are incapable of being creative and maximizing production out of receiving type running backs.

Pollard has clearly shown IMO that he can be a contributor on offense. Which is all you can ask of from a 4th rounder. Failure to use him falls on Garret and the offensive coaching staff.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Too early. If we get at least one starter and a couple of contributors out of a class that didn't have a first-round pick, we're doing about the norm. A couple of players turn out to be starters and we're above the norm.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So tell me what makes Wilson and McGovern starters again? Because we hope they will be?

And by all means ignore Hill, whose output puts a foul stench on the picks below, to the point we have to hope they make it to at least claim some portion of pride.

Did I say POTENTIAL starters? They could also go on to be cut and never play again in this league. Its all too early to tell. I think Wilson showed enough in the preseason to at least say he can compete with Heath at some point and take his spot. McGovern has a nice ceiling. That of a starter at guard. See no reason why he can't compete for a starting job once he gets healthy and a offseason under his belt. Pollard will never start over Zeke......but thus far he's proven to fill in formidable for him. I personally think at some point he's going to be more than what he is. I think he's going to get a lot more looks in the slot in the future. Hill's ceiling should be as a starter. I honestly don't know much about him to say what it is. I'm not sure if its a matter of youth and strength or if he simply can't play. His problems seem to be different from Taco's though.

adamknite

Reaction score
To be fair Pollard has looked good when he has gotten touches, he's shown flashes and the two on IR looked solid as well. Donovan Wilson I'm surprised isn't getting some play time and Hill we knew was going to be a project and I'm not calling it a wasted pick YET but I really wanted Thornhill in that spot like I really wanted Watts over Taco so.... I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't concerned even when telling myself I shouldn't be YET.

Hardline

Reaction score
So two years from now will we still be counting Cooper like we are grading on some curve so the slow kids feel better about themselves?

Eliminate Cooper from it. He was a sunk cost. Grade the draft on its individual merit.

We had a two. We blew it. Start from there.
Sure....In two years

Doomsay

Reaction score
Amari Cooper: Top 3 player on the team.

Trysten Hill: Not ready

Connor McGovern:
  • Coaches were impressed before he got injured.
  • Based on OTAs they expected him to be a contributor this season.
  • That is why they didn't put on on PUP to start camp.
  • They wanted him to be able to participate in walk-thru practices.
  • Unfortunately he had a setback (re-injured his original injury).

Tony Pollard: Offensive Star of the preseason and has played more than most fans would expect for a 4th round rookie RB with Zeke as the starter.

Michael Jackson: Good enough that another team used a spot on their 53 to sign him.

Joe Jackson: Has been active more often than not. Rookie 5th round picks on DL rarely get playing time if they even make the team.

Donovan Wilson: Defensive Star of the Preseason games.

Mike Weber: Where else would a 7th round rookie RB on a team with the highest paid starter and burgeoning star as a backup be stashed unless he was a special teams star?

Jalen Jelks: They found a way to retain him. They give scrubs that get injured in the preseason an injury settlement. They don't them on IR.
Cooper is irrelevant to the conversation.