The altitude in September is daunting

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Sep 12, 2017.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

18,060 Messages
    21,104 Likes Received
    Road teams tend to wilt up there in the second half. There's definitely something to it because this is a 17-year sample Bob mentioned.

I love playing golf up there. You feel like Superman off the tees.

2. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

2,951 Messages
    2,399 Likes Received
    But they still would need need time to acclimate to the altitude, which the NBA schedule does not allow for ( teams fly in the night before and may be playing on the second night of a back-to-back). Just by the nature of the sport, altitude would be more impactful to basketball players due to the constant running and more limited substitutions.

bodi likes this.
  3. bodi

bodi Well-Known Member

3,114 Messages
    1,195 Likes Received
    well they thing that we have going for us is that most of the team are young guys in shaoe

I used to live at in Leadville when I was just out of college 10,152 feet and I would run all over the mountains

mrtxstar likes this.
  4. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

20,453 Messages
    12,956 Likes Received
    Altitude won't help Seimian when he is laying on his back quite often....:laugh:

mrtxstar likes this.
  5. mrtxstar

mrtxstar Well-Known Member

8,673 Messages
    5,915 Likes Received
    It makes complete sense to think that but basketball players are in such good cardiovascular shape that they adapt quickly.

bodi likes this.
  6. JJHLH1

JJHLH1 Well-Known Member

1,682 Messages
    3,292 Likes Received
    No. The game is on FOX and it's their Game of the Week so Troy and Joe Buck should be the announcers.

CATCH17 likes this.
  7. eyedoc

eyedoc Active Member

142 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    I went on a mission trip to a village in the mountains of Guatemala. It was about 3600 feet altitude. The church we were partnering with was about 700 yards up a thirty degree incline. The first morning I walked to the church I had to stop four times to catch my breath. I am not out of shape but I live at sea level. By the third I could walk to the church without stopping. It took that long for my body to adjust to altitude. Denver is a mile above sea level. It would take several days at that altitude to adjust. It's a huge advantage for the Broncos especially in the second half. Go Cowboys

Idgit and MrMom like this.
  8. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

20,453 Messages
    12,956 Likes Received
    Yes they are listed on the TV map index site to call the game. The actual map is not up yet. It should be later today, but they have the announcers listed.

9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

38,163 Messages
    16,992 Likes Received
    Chidobe should have a good game haha.

10. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

6,070 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Didn't we just see a team from San Diego dominate them in the 4th quarter and almost complete the comeback? I think it's overblown. How many of those week 1-2 wins were upsets? If they were consistently beating much better teams, then I'd buy into it. They have been a solid to very good team much of that time so I suspect most of those wins were probably expected anyway.

shaketiller and MrMom like this.
  11. rat2k8

rat2k8 Well-Known Member

5,030 Messages
    4,874 Likes Received
    Opps forgot one

Steelers at Heinz Field............ Check

So the streak at Denver is coming to an end this weekend!!!

12. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

1,709 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    They are conditioned athletes whom are conditioned to grind out teams. We will be fine. The altitude affects the less physical teams the most up here(I live there).

Zimmy Lives likes this.
  13. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

8,126 Messages
    3,109 Likes Received
    It is forecasted to be in the upper 70's. So at least the Boys catch a break there

14. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

8,745 Messages
    3,995 Likes Received
    The air is the air; what can be done.

[Shamelessly taken from Star Trek, "Amok Time."]

15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

29,332 Messages
    22,476 Likes Received
    Have you been skiing often? It's a full body workout especially if you ski black diamond runs and ski as aggressively as I do.

16. alicetooljam

alicetooljam Well-Known Member

1,191 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    The only Cowboys games set to be on CBS are the Chiefs and Chargers, I believe. If he calls one, it will be one of them.

17. TheHerd

TheHerd Well-Known Member

2,384 Messages
    2,760 Likes Received
    He didn't scare me either, but he looked damn good Monday night.

18. shaketiller

shaketiller Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

915 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    This is an awfully good point. The Chargers didn't wilt. The Broncos' record at home in September does suggest there is some impact from the altitude. Anyone who's spent time in that area probably would agree the altitude has some impact on breathing and stamina. But the Broncos have also been (mostly) good. That has an impact as well. But the stats would be more illuminating if scoring was broken down by quarter.

19. erod

erod Well-Known Member

18,060 Messages
    21,104 Likes Received
    Understand, I believe the Cowboys have a decided advantage on Sunday. The Broncos offense isn't that much better than the Giants, and their defense is similar. I think the Cowboys win.

I do agree with Sturm that the altitude plays a role.

20. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,310 Messages
    303 Likes Received
    the NFL should let visitors blood dope when playing in Denver--or make the Broncos wear altitude simulation masks---but the NFL is too busy harassing Zeke