The Annual “Let’s tank for Draft Position” VS. “Let’s Win” Debate

Cebrin

Reaction score
Don't worry, they'll tank by just sucking this year. We're safe.

Alweezy

Reaction score
Seeing the success The Chiefs had with upgrading Smith to Mahomes, it's very tempting to wonder if Lawrence has that type of turn the franchise around overnight capability.

It's worth a consideration.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Seeing the success The Chiefs had with upgrading Smith to Mahomes, it's very tempting to wonder if Lawrence has that type of turn the franchise around overnight capability.

It's worth a consideration.
Give Dak an adequate defense and the team would be fine. Also the Chiefs have 3 Olympic style sprinters at WR. Dallas does not have those athletes. They have more well rounded football players but not backyard ballers like the Chiefs

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are always lots of fans who prefer losing and a better draft position unless a Super Bowl contender.
Yes, the NFC East is currently an embarrassment with three teams under new coaches, along with lots of injuries. Still, I’ll go on record now.

Even at 6-8, 7-9, 8-8, I’d rather finish as NFC East Champions with a home field playoff game than be one of the trash teams that couldn’t win in a weak division.
I think the Eagles turn it around enough in the second half of the season to win the division. I think we might be a 4 win team this year

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why? There is absolutely nothing humanly possible that you can do to effect anything that team does. I have been a fan for 50 years and I do understand getting emotional while watching games, but after that I go on with my life as that’s what’s serious, not football.
You couldn’t be more wrong. I train with the two time Super Bowl running back. You don’t know me or anything about me. It’s all about locker room culture make no mistake about that. I take my football seriously .Even a fan , Can motivate a football player. I’ve done it with Drew Bledsoe. Just simple words. So again I’m sorry you’re totally wrong my cowboy brother. Words mean something

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
You couldn’t be more wrong. I train with the two time Super Bowl running back. You don’t know me or anything about me. It’s all about locker room culture make no mistake about that. I take my football seriously .Even a fan , Can motivate a football player. I’ve done it with Drew Bledsoe. Just simple words. So again I’m sorry you’re totally wrong my cowboy brother. Words mean something

Well I wish you the best!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

if you do, in fact, train with a 2 time SB RB and have somehow motivated Bledsoe in the past, that's an extreme rarity and does not represent Cowboy fans. Almost every other fan has no direct effect on the players and team other than to watch the games and maybe buy a ticket or merchandise occasionally to help fund the team and league. I was disappointed last night, and still am, and I even yelled at the team and players through the TV, as many of us do, but I'm not going to stew over it today or the rest of the week or let it affect other aspects of my life that are more important. And you know what - that does not in any way affect what the Cowboys will do this coming Sunday.

Croomraider

Reaction score
I'm all in for lose and better the pick. Run a bunch, run the clock, keep guys healthy and move on to the next game with a loss.
If Tyron Smith, Collins, Dak, weren't season ending then I might want to win the division. However, those are too important of positions to play backups all season. Even if Dallas wins the east, you're telling me the Cowboys are going to beat Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Jared Goff? Dallas would highly disappoint in the playoffs, therefore, let's tank.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SO hard to tank in the NFL.

This isn't the NBA, with only 5 starters.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
if you do, in fact, train with a 2 time SB RB and have somehow motivated Bledsoe in the past, that's an extreme rarity and does not represent Cowboy fans. Almost every other fan has no direct effect on the players and team other than to watch the games and maybe buy a ticket or merchandise occasionally to help fund the team and league. I was disappointed last night, and still am, and I even yelled at the team and players through the TV, as many of us do, but I'm not going to stew over it today or the rest of the week or let it affect other aspects of my life that are more important. And you know what - that does not in any way affect what the Cowboys will do this coming Sunday.
Again you’re wrong. Fans can influence the outcome of the game. College studies show this. Positive attitude show for better outcome. Fans definitely have an impact

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
SO hard to tank in the NFL.

This isn't the NBA, with only 5 starters.
Tanking. There’s nothing positive about it. It shows for a negative culture in the locker room. And that’s not something to grow on

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again you’re wrong. Fans can influence the outcome of the game. College studies show this. Positive attitude show for better outcome. Fans definitely have an impact
lol - so, after the game is already over, and I go about my business without letting it ruin my week, that somehow means the team didn't actually lose? Or are you saying that if I let the loss ruin my day and week that a magic genie will take the team back in time and let it win.

I'm at home watching on TV. The team has zero sense of how I reacted. Is that really even questionable?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
lol - so, after the game is already over, and I go about my business without letting it ruin my week, that somehow means the team didn't actually lose? Or are you saying that if I let the loss ruin my day and week that a magic genie will take the team back in time and let it win.

I'm at home watching on TV. The team has zero sense of how I reacted. Is that really even questionable?
That’s ridiculous. But if you don’t think you can’t motivate a team or a player by kind word or motivational words then you’re totally wrong and that’s the point

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The bottom line is this. Prescott gets so much undeserved bashing. And Dalton gets praise before he even throws his first pass for the Cowboys. And you people want some kind of respect . you have some sort of integrity when it comes to evaluating a quarterback. Critiquing and hating a two different things. Some try. Others are Just out right I don’t even know what the word is . But the disrespect he gets his fans is totally unjustified

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Why do you always have to be over the top. Can you have a normal conversation.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No need to tank because tge talent, coaches and culture will get us top 5 pick

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s ridiculous. But if you don’t think you can’t motivate a team or a player by kind word or motivational words then you’re totally wrong and that’s the point
A kind word? From my living room? Or during the week in my car or office? Maybe while I'm in the bathroom? Are you really under the impression most Cowboy fans have direct contact with the players, or that that players directly see and know how a fan who watches a game on TV reacts, or goes about his life after the game is over?

Understand the context … you were disagreeing with a fan who said after a game he goes on with life because, in his words, "that's what's serious".

Now, in that context, please explain (1) how Zach Martin or Amari Cooper know what that fan does after the game, and how that affects their play, and (2) how can anyone argue that a fan's family, friends, job and daily life shouldn't be more serious to them than the Cowboys.

Jake0

Reaction score
Tanking. There’s nothing positive about it. It shows for a negative culture in the locker room. And that’s not something to grow on

This team is gonna tank and it really can't help itself this year, too many critical players out for the entire year.

The positive you get out of it is you get to play your young guys, give them real game reps and film to study, and see if any of them can develop into solid contributors in the future. The McGoverns, Donovan Wilsons, Gallimores, etc.

You can bounce back strong in 1 year, the NFL is full of parity. Cowboys go 4-12 then back in the running with Dak & Zeke the next season.