The answer: non exclusive franchise tag

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Captain43Crash, Feb 28, 2021.

1. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

13,092 Messages
    19,086 Likes Received
    I dont consider getting 2 1st a risk. The poison pill doesn't hurt us. What would hurt is letting Dak walk and only getting a comp pick.

hittheskids likes this.
  2. hittheskids

hittheskids Well-Known Member

1,372 Messages
    2,261 Likes Received
    I don't disagree that paying Dak will have consequences. Betting that Dalton can get us 9-11 at half the price means nothing. yes, Jerry has messed up the whole Dak negotiation. So lets go with an immobile 34 year old QB at the end of his career, that wouldn't be a mistake now, would it?

3. ChronicCowboy

ChronicCowboy Well-Known Member

3,083 Messages
    5,716 Likes Received
    I get your point but it’s a major risk if the team is relying on Dak as our starter in 2021. I don’t think Jerry is willing to let him go this offseason, even for two firsts.

CowboysWillRise likes this.
  4. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

10,868 Messages
    14,915 Likes Received
    I'm not saying sign Dalton. I'm saying it makes more sense than signing Dak since the results aren't dramatically different. If I were pushing things I could say Dalton gives us a better chance to improve b/c he's cheaper and gives us the cap flexibility we need to fix the defense.

5. Colombiacowboy

Colombiacowboy Well-Known Member

1,253 Messages
    1,290 Likes Received
    One thing I am absolutely sure of is that Dak is not a dumb person. He knows exactly what he is doing.

6. tunahelper

tunahelper Well-Known Member

4,348 Messages
    626 Likes Received
    I think this is the answer. Dak needs to see for himself what his value really can bring him. If someone takes him we have plenty of ammo to move up in the draft and grab our QB.

Captain43Crash likes this.
  7. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Zone Supporter

7,000 Messages
    7,916 Likes Received
    Is it really two first round picks? Wow. IMO that would make it worth it. It's what I would want in a trade.

8. gjkoeppen

gjkoeppen Well-Known Member

7,558 Messages
    3,238 Likes Received

Here's the problem with that. When teams uses the non-exclusive tag what they are really telling the player that they are really putting him up for trade for 2 first round draft picks. Now the offer that he submits to the Cowboys to match has to be higher than the highest offer made to him by his team. With a smaller cap and with so many teams having to cut players to get under that cap number, the chances are that teams won't be able to offer more than what Cowboys offered but Prescott will then think the Cowboys were just trying to trade him so now there will be friction between him and the Cowboys. In a normal year with an increase in the cap, using the non-exclusive tag would probably get some offers, but not that's not the case for 2021. Also along with all the needs on defense the Cowboys will also have a gigantic need at QB if some team actually offers a legit offer.

9. Swagger

Swagger Well-Known Member

3,083 Messages
    3,238 Likes Received
    Are you really Todd France - the former placekicker in the AFL?
    :laugh:

10. ondaedg

ondaedg Well-Known Member

2,145 Messages
    2,256 Likes Received
    Truth! And Dak had the worst defense in Cowboys history covering his six. Truth.

jterrell likes this.
  11. Captain43Crash

Captain43Crash Well-Known Member

4,692 Messages
    4,833 Likes Received
    Yes!

12. Captain43Crash

Captain43Crash Well-Known Member

4,692 Messages
    4,833 Likes Received
    Thank you.

Typhus likes this.
  13. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

8,760 Messages
    8,932 Likes Received
    Thats exactly the point, time for Jerry to change the leverage to the Cowboys instead of Dak and his boy.
    Problem is Jerry is such a player loyalist and not a hard nosed GM.
    Jerry could gain a lot of the fan base respect back, with a bold move like this,, its not just bold, its actually the best move,,, Stephen should be talking to daddy.

14. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

8,760 Messages
    8,932 Likes Received
    The "exclusive franchise tag" is reserved for the league's best players and isn't used that often. A non-exclusive franchise tag allows players to negotiate with other teams, and if the original team decides not to match an offer from another team, they will receive two first-round picks from the signing team.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five cap hits at the player's position for the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

15. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

25,090 Messages
    18,069 Likes Received
    Stats = Individual accomplishment

Wins = Team accomplishment

Fans = Disconnect

16. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

8,760 Messages
    8,932 Likes Received
    and part of the leverage gained when the market sets Daks value.

17. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

8,760 Messages
    8,932 Likes Received
    Bingo

CowboysWillRise likes this.
  18. DandyDon52

DandyDon52 Well-Known Member

13,853 Messages
    9,031 Likes Received
    For these reasons, each opponent is different, do you think dak throws for 500 against wash defense or Pitt?
    Also daks team mates did not play as hard for the bkups as they do for dak.
    And also dak is probably better, and has way more time spent playing with this team.
    Dalton was new, and gilbert, that was his first nfl start.

Throwing for 500 yds is not a good thing if your losing the games.

19. Section446

Section446 Well-Known Member

10,443 Messages
    8,807 Likes Received
    He's not a guy who makes special plays, guys like that (Mahomes) are worth the money, he's just a dude.

20. ondaedg

ondaedg Well-Known Member

2,145 Messages
    2,256 Likes Received
    uhm maybe we lost because we fielded the worst defense in Cowboys history?

:muttley: