The answer: Yes, we got better

TheCritic

Reaction score
Other threads will discuss individual draft picks. But here I'll just focus on big picture. We got bigger, tougher and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The switch from Quinn to Zimmer is also a big component, a big reason why the days of teams being able to physically dominate us are over.

Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East. The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.

Looking back to last season, no matter how well Dak played or how many points were scored, those games against the 49ers, Bills and Packers told me everything I needed to know. We were not physical/tough enough and the Quinn defense got exposed, albeit losing key LBers having something to do with it.

Far some satisfied, at least I feel better about the overall direction, even if it doesn't result in a deep playoff run. I won't be surprised if the team gets off to a slow start or even suffer a losing record as they face a brutal schedule. But at least I no longer feel this team is fundamentally flawed. No longer do I feel that the team will be overly dependent on Dak Prescott, whether he gets extended or not. Would love to pick up the next great RB at some point, but as long as the improved OL helps us get those 5-7 yard runs that keeps us in manageable 3rd down situations - that's what I would like to see.

Count me in as a supporter of what the Cowboys have accomplished this offseason so far!

starfan1

Reaction score
Other threads will discuss individual draft picks. But here I'll just focus on big picture. We got bigger, tougher and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The switch from Quinn to Zimmer is also a big component, a big reason why the days of teams being able to physically dominate us are over.

Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East. The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.

Looking back to last season, no matter how well Dak played or how many points were scored, those games against the 49ers, Bills and Packers told me everything I needed to know. We were not physical/tough enough and the Quinn defense got exposed, albeit losing key LBers having something to do with it.

Far some satisfied, at least I feel better about the overall direction, even if it doesn't result in a deep playoff run. I won't be surprised if the team gets off to a slow start or even suffer a losing record as they face a brutal schedule. But at least I no longer feel this team is fundamentally flawed. No longer do I feel that the team will be overly dependent on Dak Prescott, whether he gets extended or not. Would love to pick up the next great RB at some point, but as long as the improved OL helps us get those 5-7 yard runs that keeps us in manageable 3rd down situations - that's what I would like to see.

Count me in as a supporter of what the Cowboys have accomplished this offseason so far!
Your not allowed to be positive in here but good write up

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
This is the best you can have felt about the OL since pre Guillan Bare for Frederick. Potentially 5 pro bowlers if Steele is healthy and Guyton comes along like other recent first round OL picks.

Now there is no quality depth at WR, S, DT CB, or RB. One injury and you could have a skill position of:

Cooks/Tolbert out wide with Malik Davis as the Bell Cow.

So will this team beat the Eagles? Probably not. But there is at least a path going forward in 2025. Especially if they go with a Shanahan disciple for the run game.

Next years draft should be heavy focused on skill positions.

WR, RB, CB (not mentioning QB for now)

FanofJerry

Reaction score

Dak + Jerry + recent SUPER Bowl wins = fails

Its a losing mechanism. Nothing can put lipstick on this pig. Accept...lies for cheap labor. You gotta lie and take advantage of the young.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
We got a couple picks I liked, but overall I'm not content. I don't feel as good as I felt with some of our other drafts. Looking around the league I thought Detroit had an excellent draft that made their team better. I think Philadelphia had an excellent draft that made their team better. Giants, I don't think it was real good, and Washington? For having so many top quality pics I wasn't blown away with their choices either.

I preface this by saying I'm not a scout, in fact I know nothing about player evaluating. They could all be All-Pro. I am just giving my opinion.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

EVERY NFL team got better.

That's the draft.

Now, let's talk free agency.

Sigh.....

Malhavoc

Reaction score

Solid post. Understand that nothing this team did in the last few days was going to change the opinions of the usual suspects.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Fans like this is what gets Stephen saying things like "we won the off-season" after being the first team ever to lose to a 7th seed.

Don't forget to buy all the draft picks jerseys, OP.
Why get personal? I've read a few of your over the top rants and what's funny is that I have also expressed doubts about Dak and him being the answer at QB. But my main beef with him is the size of his contract. If he got paid less and we could afford to surround him with more talent and beef up the running game, I wouldn't have a problem with him. But since that isn't the case, I would rather move on and not resign him.
I have also expressed my hate about the Jones family and the way they run things. I'm also on record as stating that Jerry Jones has a drinking problem. But I will give them credit for having a good draft. It doesn't mean that I feel like they did enough this offseason especially when you look at other NFC East teams did this offseason.

There nothing wrong with having a balanced perspective. You should try it!

jwitten82

Reaction score

Youre assuming all our top 3 picks will be productive, but our history says otherwise. I think people are gonna be extremely disappointed in Kneeland.

Also Quinn was/ is one of the best DCs in the league, and we had horrible defenses before him and he turned them into a turnover machine. Quinn is better than Zimmer

Wilson

Reaction score
I don’t know if we got better but we replaced some of what we lost with players with as much if not more potential, younger and cheaper
This right here. ^

We still need to replace some of what was lost. Establishing a consistent running attack and stopping the run is crucial to being better this year. We addressed some of that with the OL, DE, and LB but where are our RB and big-bodied DT? Sure it was unrealistic that we could accomplish all of that in the draft.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Why get personal? I've read a few of your over the top rants and what's funny is that I have also expressed doubts about Dak and him being the answer at QB. But my main beef with him is the size of his contract. If he got paid less and we could afford to surround him with more talent and beef up the running game, I wouldn't have a problem with him. But since that isn't the case, I would rather move on and not resign him.
I have also expressed my hate about the Jones family and the way they run things. I'm also on record as stating that Jerry Jones has a drinking problem. But I will give them credit for having a good draft. It doesn't mean that I feel like they did enough this offseason especially when you look at other NFC East teams did this offseason.

There nothing wrong with having a balanced perspective. You should try it!
30 years of failure does not make me tow the line and pretend a draft is good for no other reason than it being the Cowboys draft.

Let them prove it on the field, because whatever you think about them today might turn a complete 180 once they spend some time at the Jones' country club they call a football team.