The answer: Yes, we got better

Malhavoc

Reaction score
30 years of failure does not make me tow the line and pretend a draft is good for no other reason than it being the Cowboys draft.

Let them prove it on the field, because whatever you think about them today might turn a complete 180 once they spend some time at the Jones' country club they call a football team.
Take some of your own advice. Crap on the team but wait for these kids to get on the field before burying them.

TheCritic

Reaction score
30 years of failure does not make me tow the line and pretend a draft is good for no other reason than it being the Cowboys draft.

Let them prove it on the field, because whatever you think about them today might turn a complete 180 once they spend some time at the Jones' country club they call a football team.
Well you may be right about the final results. But you are just assuming that the draft was a failure because of your hatred for the Jones family. No logic in that.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Take some of your own advice. Crap on the team but wait for these kids to get on the field before burying them.
Ain't nobody burying them.

The fact is every single one of these picks could work out and it won't equate to team success, because the weaknesses of this team are at the more important positions including HC and Ownership.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Well you may be right about the final results. But you are just assuming that the draft was a failure because of your hatred for the Jones family. No logic in that.
This class can be a monumental success and it won't matter in terms of team success.

The weaknesses of the team (QB, RB, DT, HC, and Ownership) will not be able to be overcome by the positions we chose to focus on this draft.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Other threads will discuss individual draft picks. But here I'll just focus on big picture. We got bigger, tougher and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The switch from Quinn to Zimmer is also a big component, a big reason why the days of teams being able to physically dominate us are over.

Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East. The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.

Looking back to last season, no matter how well Dak played or how many points were scored, those games against the 49ers, Bills and Packers told me everything I needed to know. We were not physical/tough enough and the Quinn defense got exposed, albeit losing key LBers having something to do with it.

Far some satisfied, at least I feel better about the overall direction, even if it doesn't result in a deep playoff run. I won't be surprised if the team gets off to a slow start or even suffer a losing record as they face a brutal schedule. But at least I no longer feel this team is fundamentally flawed. No longer do I feel that the team will be overly dependent on Dak Prescott, whether he gets extended or not. Would love to pick up the next great RB at some point, but as long as the improved OL helps us get those 5-7 yard runs that keeps us in manageable 3rd down situations - that's what I would like to see.

Count me in as a supporter of what the Cowboys have accomplished this offseason so far!
This is laughable.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
32 teams and fan bases all feel they got better this weekend

Every team drafts.

31 teams use free agency.

The Dallas Cowboys have not improved from last years team, or more specifically did not catch up or lessen the gap with the teams that were better than them last year.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Every draft we got better, however, so did every other team who had draft picks and some with higher picks. So it comes down to hitting your draft picks + what you did in FA, and well in FA we sort of just went "all in" but in the L section. Could be a rebuilding year for us.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
This class can be a monumental success and it won't matter in terms of team success.

The weaknesses of the team (QB, RB, DT, HC, and Ownership) will not be able to be overcome by the positions we chose to focus on this draft.
Just because someone thinks the team is better today then it was last week doesn’t mean we expect the team to have more success. Heck I don’t.

TheCritic

Reaction score
It was a good draft but I’ll be positive when this team doesn’t rinse and repeat the same story different year.

This team doesn’t even deserve our time to be honest.
That's fair. But for whatever reason even the most disheartened Cowboys fan couldn't help but giving some attention to the draft. It took me several weeks after the Packers loss to even want to think about the Cowboys. At the time it felt like I was the closest I had ever been to being done with being a Cowboys fan.
But again just within the context of the draft and forgetting about everything else flawed with the team, I just thought they had a good draft and even if the picks don't pan out, at least the team is finally addressing the trenches.

McMicah

Reaction score
I think this is extremely premature. There’s a massive amount of boom or bust in this years draft. Let’s go position by position:

QB: Same
HB: Much worse
FB: Same
WR: maybe slightly better
TE: Same
LT: Worse. No way Guyton is better than Tyron year 1
LG: Same
C: Better if Beebe, worse if Hoffman
RG: slightly worse. Zack’s declining
RT: Same

DT: Worse w/o Hankins
DE: Same (Kneeland isn’t better than what we lost in year 1)
LB: Better (maybe)
CB: Slightly worse without Gilmore
S: Same/Worse

TheCritic

Reaction score
Just because someone thinks the team is better today then it was last week doesn’t mean we expect the team to have more success. Heck I don’t.
Exactly! I tend to believe that whatever positive steps the Cowboys took this weekend will likely get overshadowed by what the other NFC East teams did. We just didn't have the draft capital.

TheCritic

Reaction score
I think this is extremely premature. There’s a massive amount of boom or bust in this years draft. Let’s go position by position:

QB: Same
HB: Much worse
FB: Same
WR: maybe slightly better
TE: Same
LT: Worse. No way Guyton is better than Tyron year 1
LG: Same
C: Better if Beebe, worse if Hoffman
RG: slightly worse. Zack’s declining
RT: Same

DT: Worse w/o Hankins
DE: Same (Kneeland isn’t better than what we lost in year 1)
LB: Better (maybe)
CB: Slightly worse without Gilmore
S: Same/Worse
The Cowboys were not in a position to do "all of the above". Besides resigning the older vets would be progress stoppers. Better to take the lumps now and get it over with.

The Natural

Reaction score
Rookies on average don't move the needle that much in the "got better" conversation. You need free agent acquisitions and/or trades as well, if they got better its marginal.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
No doubt that the Cowboys were not going to fix all of their problems this draft weekend. Anyone who thought otherwise would have been delusional.
You are correct the cowboys were not going to fix all their issues just with this draft, but they could have gone a lot farther if they had done anything in free agency.

If you look what the rest of the NFC east did in the draft and free agency we did not even come close to keeping up, be lucky if we even sniff the playoffs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Other threads will discuss individual draft picks. But here I'll just focus on big picture. We got bigger, tougher and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The switch from Quinn to Zimmer is also a big component, a big reason why the days of teams being able to physically dominate us are over.

Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East. The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.

Looking back to last season, no matter how well Dak played or how many points were scored, those games against the 49ers, Bills and Packers told me everything I needed to know. We were not physical/tough enough and the Quinn defense got exposed, albeit losing key LBers having something to do with it.

Far some satisfied, at least I feel better about the overall direction, even if it doesn't result in a deep playoff run. I won't be surprised if the team gets off to a slow start or even suffer a losing record as they face a brutal schedule. But at least I no longer feel this team is fundamentally flawed. No longer do I feel that the team will be overly dependent on Dak Prescott, whether he gets extended or not. Would love to pick up the next great RB at some point, but as long as the improved OL helps us get those 5-7 yard runs that keeps us in manageable 3rd down situations - that's what I would like to see.

Count me in as a supporter of what the Cowboys have accomplished this offseason so far!

Of course you get better after spending a draft class.