The answer: Yes, we got better

McMicah

Reaction score
The Cowboys were not in a position to do "all of the above". Besides resigning the older vets would be progress stoppers. Better to take the lumps now and get it over with.
Taking the lumps now isn’t what they are doing. They are dragging mediocrity across time. If they wanted to take lumps, they should yard sale veterans for capital and start fresh like the Commanders just did. THATS taking lumps. At least the Commanders will be interesting to watch. We know exactly what we are getting in 2024. A team that might get lucky and eek out a wildcard and lose in the first round

gtb1943

Reaction score
well of COURSE we got better over the team we had one day before the draft

We are not as good as the team that started the season last year

Siroky

Reaction score
Youre assuming all our top 3 picks will be productive, but our history says otherwise. I think people are gonna be extremely disappointed in Kneeland.

Also Quinn was/ is one of the best DCs in the league, and we had horrible defenses before him and he turned them into a turnover machine. Quinn is better than Zimmer
Is Quinn better than Zimmer? Or did Quin Luck into the Parsons pick, which made him and the whole defense better? He also wouldn’t make halftime adjustments and regularly got run over by teams that didn’t fall behind and were forced into passing instead of running?

jwitten82

Reaction score
Is Quinn better than Zimmer? Or did Quin Luck into the Parsons pick, which made him and the whole defense better? He also wouldn’t make halftime adjustments and regularly got run over by teams that didn’t fall behind and were forced into passing instead of running?
Legion of doom ring a bell. If you dont remember Zimmer has been a dc here before. The results weren't that good

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Other threads will discuss individual draft picks. But here I'll just focus on big picture. We got bigger, tougher and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The switch from Quinn to Zimmer is also a big component, a big reason why the days of teams being able to physically dominate us are over.
Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East.
The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.
That's why we have to play the games every year. That's where the debate is settled.
But in the meantime, you're right! We DID get bigger and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball! We're moving in the right direction. And like you, I believe the switch from Quinn to Zimmer was another good switch in the right direction.
Whether we did enough to keep up in the NFC East remains to be seen, but whichever way it goes, we're gonna give 'em hell in the trenches anyway. ;)

Staubacher

Reaction score
32 teams and fan bases all feel they got better this weekend

Every team drafts.

31 teams use free agency.

The Dallas Cowboys have not improved from last years team, or more specifically did not catch up or lessen the gap with the teams that were better than them last year.
Every time I think Jerry and Steven are dumb I read the comments on the site and realize they know exactly how to play the majority of the fan base.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Ultimately time will tell, but I vote for Zimmer and his introduction of the big boys in the trenches....For a welcomed change!

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Fans like this is what gets Stephen saying things like "we won the off-season" after being the first team ever to lose to a 7th seed.

Don't forget to buy all the draft picks jerseys, OP.
It's a given that 2024 is a REBUILDING YEAR. Does this make you feel better?

wick

Reaction score
Other threads will discuss individual draft picks. But here I'll just focus on big picture. We got bigger, tougher and stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The switch from Quinn to Zimmer is also a big component, a big reason why the days of teams being able to physically dominate us are over.

Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East. The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.

Looking back to last season, no matter how well Dak played or how many points were scored, those games against the 49ers, Bills and Packers told me everything I needed to know. We were not physical/tough enough and the Quinn defense got exposed, albeit losing key LBers having something to do with it.

Far some satisfied, at least I feel better about the overall direction, even if it doesn't result in a deep playoff run. I won't be surprised if the team gets off to a slow start or even suffer a losing record as they face a brutal schedule. But at least I no longer feel this team is fundamentally flawed. No longer do I feel that the team will be overly dependent on Dak Prescott, whether he gets extended or not. Would love to pick up the next great RB at some point, but as long as the improved OL helps us get those 5-7 yard runs that keeps us in manageable 3rd down situations - that's what I would like to see.

Count me in as a supporter of what the Cowboys have accomplished this offseason so far!
Better than Thursday? Sure. Better than the end of the season?

LOL.

This team isn’t making the playoffs next season.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Every time I think Jerry and Steven are dumb I read the comments on the site and realize they know exactly how to play the majority of the fan base.
Exactly right, you know how may teams have less playoff wins over the last 20 years then us? Only 3 and we are supposed to be the Dallas Cowboys. If the measure of a good franchise is winning in the playoffs as opposed to selling merchandise, then we are one of the worst franchises is the NFL. But give Jerry his salesman credit he is able to convince most fans every year we are on the right track.

Those 3 franchises are the Bears, Titans and Commanders, you know how may GM's they have gone through to try and make it better? While we are stuck with the Jones boys. All 3 of those franchises got better this year. Soon we will be at the very bottom.

He is truly the man in “The Emperor's New Clothes”,

Last edited:

ICP

Reaction score
Better than last year or better than what they were before the draft? If it's the latter then that isn't too difficult to achieve

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
No doubt that the Cowboys were not going to fix all of their problems this draft weekend. Anyone who thought otherwise would have been delusional.
Which unfortunately renders the draft moot, even if one of these picks turns out to be a stud.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

Having said that, I give credit to other NFC teams, especially in the NFC East. The debate should be whether the Cowboys did enough to keep up in the NFC arms race, not whether the Cowboys took steps in the right direction.

Looking back to last season, no matter how well Dak played or how many points were scored, those games against the 49ers, Bills and Packers told me everything I needed to know. We were not physical/tough enough and the Quinn defense got exposed, albeit losing key LBers having something to do with it.

Far some satisfied, at least I feel better about the overall direction, even if it doesn't result in a deep playoff run. I won't be surprised if the team gets off to a slow start or even suffer a losing record as they face a brutal schedule. But at least I no longer feel this team is fundamentally flawed. No longer do I feel that the team will be overly dependent on Dak Prescott, whether he gets extended or not. Would love to pick up the next great RB at some point, but as long as the improved OL helps us get those 5-7 yard runs that keeps us in manageable 3rd down situations - that's what I would like to see.

Count me in as a supporter of what the Cowboys have accomplished this offseason so far!
Better than they were January 15 or better than they were April 24?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Taking the lumps now isn’t what they are doing. They are dragging mediocrity across time. If they wanted to take lumps, they should yard sale veterans for capital and start fresh like the Commanders just did. THATS taking lumps. At least the Commanders will be interesting to watch. We know exactly what we are getting in 2024. A team that might get lucky and eek out a wildcard and lose in the first round
I don't even think we'll get that far next year. The only thing we have going in our favor is the status of the NFCE.

starfan1

Reaction score
It was a good draft but I’ll be positive when this team doesn’t rinse and repeat the same story different year.

This team doesn’t even deserve our time to be honest.
For a team that doesn’t deserve your time you are here and I bet you’ll be here through camp and preseason and season.

And you will possibly get rinse and repeat it that’s part of fandom nothing is guaranteed

As long the jones family is guiding this ship and there’s no accountability you run the rinse and repeat possibility

Anyway this fan will tune in with optimism despite past failures cause they are my team

plymkr

Reaction score
No doubt that the Cowboys were not going to fix all of their problems this draft weekend. Anyone who thought otherwise would have been delusional.
We are a better team than we were Wednesday. I’m usually the first to bash Jerry and DNA boy for anything but this was a solid draft. We got some nastiness in the trenches and I really like Carson on the CB position.

Looking big picture this was a good foundation draft. We are a better team since the draft but we’re not a perfect team. But anyone thinking we could solve every problem this weekend is, like you said, delusional.

I’m usually pretty pessimistic and down about the Cowboys but this was an encouraging weekend for us. We’re laying a good foundation for the future and that’s all we can ask for right now considering 2024 is turning into a throw away year. This draft makes me more excited about 2025.