The argument to keep Jason Garrett for 2020

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I'll be in the huge minority here, but I do believe Garrett will leave a special legacy behind after he's gone; a very positive one at that. He built 2 of the 5 greatest QBs in Cowboys history with his bare hands. I have a feeling Dak won't quite be what you have come to expect once Garrett leaves. He doesn't know winning playoff games, he doesn't seem to have that Parcells/Belichick nasty side where players become too afraid to lose. But what he does have is a special connection to the quarterback position. Andy Reid has it, Frank Reich has it, Doug has it when his confidence is up, Walsh had it.

Not saying Garrett is anywhere as good as those coaches. But he didn't 'accidentally' fall into 2 of the biggest QB steals of the last 20 years. Romo was already good when Garret came in. He was great when he left. Dak has been better than any 4th round pick I can remember since Jared Allen. That doesn't happen in New York, in Arizona, in Denver, in Jacksonville. It happens with Jason Garrett.

Not saying don't fire him. He's earned whatever's coming. But it may irrevocably affect Dak, especially if the next guy is not QB-centric.
Dak is where he is in spite of Garrett not because of him.

Decision wise Garrett is our version of your Chip Kelly only we've kept him longer.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I have to admit, Jason is one heck of a swimmer. I drop him off at the white pool every morning, and there he is the next morning, ready to be dropped off again.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
you're a good poster keep posting. :thumbup:

I also believe going for a college coach with no NFL experience is bad for this veteran roster with high expectations. Jimmy on the 1-15 cowboys, that made sense. Kingsbury to Arizona, Harbaugh to the 49ers. But Riley or Meyer going to a team with an established identity, players with conflicting indoctrinations... I believe a veteran NFL coach who's seen just about everything is ideal for your situation. Could be wrong. Could be not.

kskboys

Reaction score
I also believe going for a college coach with no NFL experience is bad for this veteran roster with high expectations. Jimmy on the 1-15 cowboys, that made sense. Kingsbury to Arizona, Harbaugh to the 49ers. But Riley or Meyer going to a team with an established identity, players with conflicting indoctrinations... I believe a veteran NFL coach who's seen just about everything is ideal for your situation. Could be wrong. Could be not.
We don't have an established identity. Which makes me think the exact opposite of what you're saying is true, this team is ripe for some coach to come in and put their stamp on it.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yep, these pay me players don't care about winning. I'm not sure who or what it will take to turn this crap around. I think it will take a long time and a different mentality to fix this crap.

again keep posting, you're not a homer or an excuse maker.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
We don't have an established identity. Which makes me think the exact opposite of what you're saying is true, this team is ripe for some coach to come in and put their stamp on it.

I think you have more of an established identity than any team in the national football league. The highest paid O-line in the league. 4 1st round talents and an early second rounder, all drafted this decade. The highest paid RB in the league, led the league in yards per game 3 consecutive years. A QB who's efficiency thrives on said run game. Dak is ideally built for the way your offense should work.

Part of your problem this year is an identity crisis, you've forgotten who you are. Bringing in a guy who is alien to that identity isn't going to help

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I think you have more of an established identity than any team in the national football league. The highest paid O-line in the league. 4 1st round talents and an early second rounder, all drafted this decade. The highest paid RB in the league, led the league in yards per game 3 consecutive years. A QB who's efficiency thrives on said run game. Dak is ideally built for the way your offense should work.

Part of your problem this year is an identity crisis, you've forgotten who you are. Bringing in a guy who is alien to that identity isn't going to help
agree we should be working on running the ball. bus driving isn't bad if you know your limits.

kskboys

Reaction score

Disagree. We waver back and forth constantly.

BHendri5

Reaction score
What if keeping Jason Garrett is a better idea?

Truth is.. life with Garrett hasnt been too bad. We have had many 8-8+ seasons, have won division numerous times and Garrett is the mastermind behind our current playoff push. A new coach brings so many unknowns.

My opinion is, resign Garrett for 2020 and give Garrett an ultimatum: Win SB or go home..

Great idea, we had 3, 8-8 seasons while he was rebuilding the Offensive line, and shaping the team in the 90s team mold. They are the same physically , but where this team comes up short compared to the 90s teams is mentally, they are not mentally tough. Irvin, Moose, Nate Newton Emmitt, has said on many occasions that they ran the same 10 plays every game but believe and knew that no one could stop them, they knew what was coming. The Bible says when 2 or more come together on one accord there is nothing that can stand in their way. There is a story in the Bible about a tower, the tower of Babylon, that people of different races got together because they wanted to build a tower to reach heaven, God knew that they would succeed, so he made everyone to speak different languages so that they could not understand each other which ended the construction of the tower, thus stopping them from completing their goal

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the offense can be fixed the defense and special teams cant not with the clown as the head coach

mrmojo

Reaction score
yep, these pay me players don't care about winning. I'm not sure who or what it will take to turn this crap around. I think it will take a long time and a different mentality to fix this crap.

again keep posting, you're not a homer or an excuse maker.
Of course not hes an eagles fan.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
tenor.gif