The Athletic suggesting Cowboys will not pick up LVE 5th year option

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I say for once they need to let the player prove hes ready for a long tern, non injury, highly productive season before they shell out money, rather lose the guy then overpay him..he only had one solid year and now is in prove it mode..

if we pick Parsons at 10 LVE might be expendable a reboot etc..

doesnt anyone wonder if Bernard and gifford could add something ? curious how Quinn and the new staff deals with them as opposed to Nolan..

so wait and see is my choice..
I’m hoping parsons makes it to us I’d love him but I think Broncos scoop him. Now regarding lve. If cowboys go linebacker early the writing is on the wall. Lve option for 5th year is believe is may 2 or 3rd If they linebacker early. Like @jazzcat22 said could be 5th. No way they pick up the option.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He looked like he was playing tentatively last year.

Not sure if it was the neck thing or trying to figure out where he was supposed to be in the Nolan scheme.

This guy has a lot to prove in order to get a long term deal IMO.

The fact that they overrate and overpay their own draft picks is no secret, and this isn't a bad place to begin to go the other way.

Creeper

Reaction score
If true, I see this as a positive step in the evolution of Jerry Jones the GM. It shows he is capable of making a rational decision when it comes to the players he drafted. I don't see how any team could pick up the 5th year for a player who has played a little as LVE, and as poorly as he played last season. LVE said at the end of last season he was going to work harder than ever to get healthy and play better in 2021. So it is all on him now. If all his hard work makes him better then he will get signed by Dallas or someone else. But if he comes out and soils the bed or gets injured again, then he will wind up with a JAG contract in 2022 and the label of "Bust".

blueblood70

Reaction score
He looked like he was playing tentatively last year.

Not sure if it was the neck thing or trying to figure out where he was supposed to be in the Nolan scheme.

This guy has a lot to prove in order to get a long term deal IMO.

The fact that they overrate and overpay their own draft picks is no secret, and this isn't a bad place to begin to go the other way.
you can say that about the entire defense last season..not good season to judge go back to 2019 and what not..hes been hurt far too often to make sound judgment that why i say let him okay out his deal, if hes worth signing do it if not time to let players walk not pay them in hopes they become the 19th pick in the draft. People talk trash about JS but at least hes available and is playing but they both have stupid post play antics..

they both need to play up to their dramatic post lay antics..ughh

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think LVE is a heck of a guy, but no, they can't pickup his option and resign to a new contract. He has been pushing it the last year and playing very cautiously. I don't blame him, i would be if i had a neck injury as well, but on the Cowboys' side... NO WAY. We should have signed a FA LB, and then draft another replacement this month. Jaylon also on his way out hopefully.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think it will depend upon on the draft shakes out. If they do not use a top 100 pick on the position, Lve gets his 5th yr option picked.
I think they pick up the option and then sign him to a long term contract that is similar to Jaylon. People hate Jaylon but his contract is team friendly. I can’t imagine with LVE injury history he would not take the guaranteed money. As much as I think LVE is overrated by the fan base (has not played a meaningful down in two years) the Cowboys seem to take care of their own.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think they pick up the option and then sign him to a long term contract that is similar to Jaylon. People hate Jaylon but his contract is team friendly. I can’t imagine with LVE injury history he would not take the guaranteed money. As much as I think LVE is overrated by the fan base (has not played a meaningful down in two years) the Cowboys seem to take care of their own.

Smith’s contract isn’t that team friendly.

The Cowboys would be unwise to pick up LVEs option IMO.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He may get the Sean Lee type of incentive based contract for games played.

coult44

Reaction score
There is no way you should pay a LB big money when he is one hit away from the sideline

We should have cut the ballerina this year too

Every NFL LB is one good hit away from the sideline. Dude. I wouldn’t pay him either, but not with that reasoning

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Smith’s contract isn’t that team friendly.

The Cowboys would be unwise to pick up LVEs option IMO.
They can get out of Smith contract without any issues after this season as long as they don’t extend him. His contract is team friendly like Cooper.

The Cowboys picked up the option for Byron for his 5th year. I think the Cowboys believe in LVE more then they believed in Byron.