The Athletic suggesting Cowboys will not pick up LVE 5th year option

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He may get the Sean Lee type of incentive based contract for games played.
You said it right in an earlier post. Who do the Cowboys draft will tell us what they think of LVE. Dane really kept pushing on the draft show that the Cowboys consider Zaven Collins a first round draft choice.

Motorola

Reaction score
They have to decide this year, before mid May.
I think May 5th, or somewhere there about.
You have to decide on the option before the 4th season.

That article is from last year
Just viewed a site named 'NFL Front Office'. It stated per the new CBA that May 3 is the deadline this league year - three weeks from tomorrow.

visionary

Reaction score
Every NFL LB is one good hit away from the sideline. Dude. I wouldn’t pay him either, but not with that reasoning

yes with that reasoning

he had medical red flags before the draft and has missed time due to neck injury

he is one hit away more than most LBs

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Good. He's a waste of time & money. Nice kid/good player but his health issues will cost him his career.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Interestingly he ended the season by saying he'll be a man on a mission this offseason. He will start the 2021 season in the best shape of his career.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The goal is to find linebackers who are great in space and he is great in space and he’s 25 years old.
if by space you mean lying on the rehab table, operating table, sofa, and bench,,sure hes space eating maniac..lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Every NFL LB is one good hit away from the sideline. Dude. I wouldn’t pay him either, but not with that reasoning
Every NFL PLAYER is one good hit away from the sideline. Dude. I wouldn’t pay him either, but not with that reasoning

fixed it for you

however yes it is reason if you cant find consistent time on the field, no matter how good you are, you cant pay the guy 9mil to have test year..

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The FO should nip the LBer issue in the bud this draft regardless of LVE.

Beaker42

Reaction score
If this happens, he's a free agent after this season. In other words, our LBer issue is more serious some believe. Can't imagine not drafting one within the first 3 picks.

19. Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Dallas Cowboys
Cost: $9,145,000

AV Index: 20 Actual | 17.2 Expected | 116% | 14th

YES | NO | OTHER

Vander Esch made a positive impact as a rookie, but injury concerns that followed him from Boise State into the NFL have proved justified. He’s missed 13 games over the past two seasons. Some teams removed Vander Esch from their draft boards over injury concerns. The Cowboys obviously were not one of them. Will they double down on a questionable initial investment?
Good - he sucks and is hurt too much. Other than those issues he’s not bad. Time for him to GTFOOD.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can get out of Smith contract without any issues after this season as long as they don’t extend him. His contract is team friendly like Cooper.

The Cowboys picked up the option for Byron for his 5th year. I think the Cowboys believe in LVE more then they believed in Byron.

I don’t. Not with LVE’s clear injury history. He’s a well-documented health risk. Other teams knew that pre-draft. Now we do too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interestingly he ended the season by saying he'll be a man on a mission this offseason. He will start the 2021 season in the best shape of his career.

We’ve heard that before. Just like when he said the neck was a non issue.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The 9 million option is a big price tag based on his injury history, but would be a reasonable deal if he can contribute like his rookie year. It's a tough decision in some respects if you're holding on to what it looked like we had 2 years ago and believe he may finally have his neck issue sorted out. Personally, I would decline the option and inquire on what an extension would cost to keep him around for a few more years for significantly less. If it was 4-5 million a season with an out after 2 years I would take that gamble.

reddyuta

Reaction score
that's dumb.if they think he can play then they should absolutely pick up the 5th year option.

rambo2

Reaction score
They certainly shouldn't use his option. I don't think that he will make it through this season and it is a major issue for this team. You can't play linebacker and make tackles with the injuries that he has had. He probably only makes it through a few games and gets injured again and his career is pretty much over.

rambo2

Reaction score
If this happens, he's a free agent after this season. In other words, our LBer issue is more serious some believe. Can't imagine not drafting one within the first 3 picks.

19. Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Dallas Cowboys
Cost: $9,145,000

AV Index: 20 Actual | 17.2 Expected | 116% | 14th

YES | NO | OTHER

Vander Esch made a positive impact as a rookie, but injury concerns that followed him from Boise State into the NFL have proved justified. He’s missed 13 games over the past two seasons. Some teams removed Vander Esch from their draft boards over injury concerns. The Cowboys obviously were not one of them. Will they double down on a questionable initial investment?
The linebacker issue is very serious.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The goal is to find linebackers who are great in space and he is great in space and he’s 25 years old.

Its like you make up in your head what is the most off the wall, completely wrong thing and then post it. Lets just take a look at your reasoning here:

1. I have no idea about his health issues
2. Lets sign him long term

Nothing about your reasoning or conclusion makes any sense. But laughably, I am not surprised by your stance. Its AGAIN the complete opposite of what we should do.

The proper approach since "we have no idea about his health issues" is to NOT reup for his 5th year option and NOT commit to paying 9 million. See how he does this year and see how his health holds up. If he has a good year we can resign him. If not, we have not committed anything to him.