The Athletic suggesting Cowboys will not pick up LVE 5th year option

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
If this happens, he's a free agent after this season. In other words, our LBer issue is more serious some believe. Can't imagine not drafting one within the first 3 picks.

19. Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Dallas Cowboys
Cost: $9,145,000

AV Index: 20 Actual | 17.2 Expected | 116% | 14th

YES | NO | OTHER

Vander Esch made a positive impact as a rookie, but injury concerns that followed him from Boise State into the NFL have proved justified. He’s missed 13 games over the past two seasons. Some teams removed Vander Esch from their draft boards over injury concerns. The Cowboys obviously were not one of them. Will they double down on a questionable initial investment?
Time to cut bait

Kwyn

Reaction score
If this happens, he's a free agent after this season. In other words, our LBer issue is more serious some believe. Can't imagine not drafting one within the first 3 picks.

YES | NO | OTHER

Vander Esch made a positive impact as a rookie, but injury concerns that followed him from Boise State into the NFL have proved justified. He’s missed 13 games over the past two seasons. Some teams removed Vander Esch from their draft boards over injury concerns. The Cowboys obviously were not one of them. Will they double down on a questionable initial investment?
Unless he totally balls out, this is good news

I was afraid, and frankly I still am, that we’d find ourselves repeating our past mistakes and saddling ourselves with a sub or and injury prone player who had a handful of good games and then disappears

Kwyn

Reaction score
I’m in the minority but without knowing his full medical I pay it or just go ahead and get a long term deal done.
Sure, good money after bad. It’s the way this team has done things for some time now.

A LVE option would be the essence of the “We like our guys” meme that so many posters repeat

Kwyn

Reaction score
They can get out of Smith contract without any issues after this season as long as they don’t extend him. His contract is team friendly like Cooper.

The Cowboys picked up the option for Byron for his 5th year. I think the Cowboys believe in LVE more then they believed in Byron.
Byron was a quality starter who contributed and was available

there is nothing similar about the two except that they both came to the decision making point about a fifth year option

FVSTONE

Reaction score

YES | NO | OTHER

Cut Bait and run!!!!!!!!!!! Can't keep signing players who don't deserve a long term contract, it's a terrible business practice that keeps biting JJ in the ***! Not only is LVE always hurt, but when he does return the field he's always a step or two behind because he has no business being a STARTER.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone knows
But we can get out of jaylons terrible contract after this year
Replacing both in one year is a huge challenge
We don’t have to decide on LVE till after the draft
If we draft a good LB prospect then you don’t risk having to replace both next year
But I don’t know you get the confidence you’ve got a starter quality player if you wait too late to get one

If we had dropped Jaylon this year, we wouldn't be worrying about replacing both this next year, and we would have been opening up a roster spot and development snaps to a backup who might be able to take over another starting spot next year.
Expensive progress stopper. Ugh.

conner01

Reaction score
If we had dropped Jaylon this year, we wouldn't be worrying about replacing both this next year, and we would have been opening up a roster spot and development snaps to a backup who might be able to take over another starting spot next year.
Expensive progress stopper. Ugh.
There is a built in out in most contracts
A time designed to be affordable
Jaylons has a really easy out after this season that

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sure, good money after bad. It’s the way this team has done things for some time now.

A LVE option would be the essence of the “We like our guys” meme that so many posters repeat

Man I get it.

You guys are probably right about the option.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Byron was a quality starter who contributed and was available

there is nothing similar about the two except that they both came to the decision making point about a fifth year option
Byron did nothing his first 3 years. There is a reason why they didn’t resign him.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Byron did nothing his first 3 years. There is a reason why they didn’t resign him.
Huh?

He played in 79 of 90 games and started 73 of them. His first three years he was playing safety. Year four, they moved him to CB and he made the pro bowl.

He wasn’t all-pro and I was cool with them letting him go but comparing him to a guy like LVE and somehow finding Jones losing the comparison is silly.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Did the article have more than what is in the OP? Because this
Will they double down on a questionable initial investment?

isn't really suggesting they won't pick it up. It's just asking the question.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Injury prone LBs are probably a particularly bad bet. Have to routinely take on olinemen 80lbs heavier than they are in close quarters. And with neck issues?

LVE is very disappointing. He looked like a real up and coming star in 2018.

College players with limited experience have the upside of limited mileage. The other side of that pancake is that they haven't proven they could stand up to full time football for too many years either. That's a big deal. Much of the NFL is just being sturdy enough to show up consistently. I doubt most even athletic bodies can handle. Those who can't get largely weeded out by failing the test in college.

he broke his collar bone.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He’s going to be given a second contract.

He’s a 1st round pro bowl LB.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Huh?

He played in 79 of 90 games and started 73 of them. His first three years he was playing safety. Year four, they moved him to CB and he made the pro bowl.

He wasn’t all-pro and I was cool with them letting him go but comparing him to a guy like LVE and somehow finding Jones losing the comparison is silly.
LVE was all pro as a rookie. We will see.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There is a built in out in most contracts
A time designed to be affordable
Jaylons has a really easy out after this season that

It was easy enough this season too.
Sure, we have to realize his 9.4 pending cap hit earlier, but we also avoid adding 7.2mil more to his cumulative cap hit, and we haven't even shrunk *this* year's cap hit anyway, which has *grown* to 9.8mil.