The Athletic suggesting Cowboys will not pick up LVE 5th year option

conner01

Reaction score
It was easy enough this season too.
Sure, we have to realize his 9.4 pending cap hit earlier, but we also avoid adding 7.2mil more to his cumulative cap hit, and we haven't even shrunk *this* year's cap hit anyway, which has *grown* to 9.8mil.
After this year we actually gain cap space by cutting him because his base escalates a bunch
But jaylons contract is a bad deal that shouldn’t have been done
Jaylon isn’t as bad as some here think but he’s sure not a top 3 LB or even close
But that’s how he’s paid

InTheZone

Reaction score
it should not

in a sense this is his contract year so I fully expect him to play great but this guy is one hit away from the sideline so there is no way we should pay him
more players fail more often than not in their contract year, I wouldn't expect much to change with LVE

Kwyn

Reaction score
After this year we actually gain cap space by cutting him because his base escalates a bunch
But jaylons contract is a bad deal that shouldn’t have been done
Jaylon isn’t as bad as some here think but he’s sure not a top 3 LB or even close
But that’s how he’s paid
He’s actually 8th, but yeah, it’s was a bad signing.

fortunately, the team has an out after this year and he’s only costing 7 which isn’t great but isn’t a total disaster.

Last year was the bad year where he cost 13

cristglo

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if he has a monster year. He's playing for his first big payday, either here or another team. My guess though, if it happens, we'll franchise him before he gets a long-term deal.

Before the beginning of the season we all felt like there would be players rusty and there would be a lot of injuries because of the Covid crisis.
This defense sucked last year and they had No direction and really put in a mutiny because of Nolan. This defense will already be better then last year before they even step on the field. LVE will have a better year and so will Jaylon. Now will he get hurt that I dont know. Next year we will be up against the Cap but can restructure several players so we can pick up a few and keep a few.
If LVE return to his Rookie form he is well worth the 9 mil he will get.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You only pay him and extend him if he is of the Luke Keuchly ilk. HE IS NOT nor will he ever be. We need to trade him prior to the draft and get something in return. Makes no sense to hang onto him and let him walk, thus getting nothing but a comp pick...if that. If this FO extends him with the 5th year option they are hindering the team in so many ways its not even funny.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It makes sense on a certain level. He played poorly last season and his health is always a question mark. On balance, I still like him 10x more than Jaylon but I would understand the team’s reluctance to extend him.
We played thigame with Lee. Never worked out for us. We will fix LBer before the season starts.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If this happens, he's a free agent after this season. In other words, our LBer issue is more serious some believe. Can't imagine not drafting one within the first 3 picks.

19. Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Dallas Cowboys
Cost: $9,145,000

AV Index: 20 Actual | 17.2 Expected | 116% | 14th

YES | NO | OTHER

Vander Esch made a positive impact as a rookie, but injury concerns that followed him from Boise State into the NFL have proved justified. He’s missed 13 games over the past two seasons. Some teams removed Vander Esch from their draft boards over injury concerns. The Cowboys obviously were not one of them. Will they double down on a questionable initial investment?
By mid season we will be playing our safeties as LBers.

We don't need no lBers anyway.

Draft safeties. We need them urgently.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I’m in the minority but without knowing his full medical I pay it or just go ahead and get a long term deal done.
Everyone except Trevon looked like trash last year. Even Trevon took time. I will say exercise it if they cant draft a replacement.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Using the pro bowl as a measuring stick is silly. The pro bowl stop being entertaining, after Chuck Muncie left the league.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Even if LVE has a great year I'd rather let him walk and take the comp pick if someone gave him a big deal.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I wouldn’t. Let him play the year. If he has a monster year the Cowboys get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves. Can probably find an equally talented LB in the 3rd or 4th round.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Sucks because I watched him all throughout his college years and he was a beast at Boise State. We've seen glimpses of what he is capable of even on the NFL level, but, I understand everybody's concern with his injury history. I hate seeing players have to go through that too. Must be maddening to want to be out there making plays and be weighed down by your body not cooperating.

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
If this happens, he's a free agent after this season. In other words, our LBer issue is more serious some believe. Can't imagine not drafting one within the first 3 picks.

19. Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Dallas Cowboys
Cost: $9,145,000

AV Index: 20 Actual | 17.2 Expected | 116% | 14th

YES | NO | OTHER

Vander Esch made a positive impact as a rookie, but injury concerns that followed him from Boise State into the NFL have proved justified. He’s missed 13 games over the past two seasons. Some teams removed Vander Esch from their draft boards over injury concerns. The Cowboys obviously were not one of them. Will they double down on a questionable initial investment?
I am totes down with this. He’s a fragile NFL player and an average LB when not injured.