The Bad and the Good....

Vman

Reaction score
The offensive line did not show up tonight. Bill has an ever increasing problem at RT.

Marty R

Reaction score
V
Henson was surrounded by 'dung-heaps' all night. If you'll recall, when Witten left the game so did Romo's ability

3 holding penalties and 2 runs for loss are Romo's fault?
I ain't buying, Romo was moving the team against the cards when Tucker got all handsy and that isn't his fault, penalties (by others) killed any chance Romo had of showing anything. 4th and 50...wow

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Marty R said:
3 holding penalties and 2 runs for loss are Romo's fault?
I ain't buying, Romo was moving the team against the cards when Tucker got all handsy and that isn't his fault, penalties (by others) killed any chance Romo had of showing anything. 4th and 50...wow

On Romos first drive he threw for 50 yards 47 of those yards were to Witten.

His next 2 drives he completed 3 passes for 21 yards without Witten

Like the guy said when Witten left so did Romos game

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Good: The defense was okay to good. Barber showed something after his early (I assume) nerves. We blocked a punt!

Bad: The O-line looked like the ragtag 2002 bunch... And Bledsoe looked like he was 100 years old. Parcells said he'll surprise you with how fast he is, but apparently Big Bill forgot to time him on his drops. They took ALL DAY. And he looked like the Tin Man planting and throwing. I didn't expect much, but Bledsoe somehow managed to fall short of my already low expectations. It's sad when two maligned backups make you look like a candidate for the glue factory, Drew. :(

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Good: The defense was okay to good. Barber showed something after his early (I assume) nerves. We blocked a punt!

Bad: The O-line looked like the ragtag 2002 bunch... And Bledsoe looked like he was 100 years old. Parcells said he'll surprise you with how fast he is, but apparently Big Bill forgot to time him on his drops. They took ALL DAY. And he looked like the Tin Man planting and throwing. I didn't expect much, but Bledsoe somehow managed to fall short of my already low expectations. It's sad when two maligned backups make you look like a candidate for the glue factory, Drew. :(

Uncertain if you are a veteran Cowboys fan, but vet fans realize that pre-season serves multiple purposes. One of those objectives is to get timimg together with your RBs and O-lineman. I didn't see the Cowboys game, but judging from what you've described, you're being far too super-critical on Bledsoe.

Bledsoe probably is faster. But as a vet QB I'm sure he's probably moving in sync with his offensive -- trying to establish a rythm together. Gradually bringing his Offense along to the point where they will all move swiftly ...together. Now that's just one perspective, but it's one that's not being over critical against a good QB (IMO). His speed will increase without any problem -- it must if he doesn;t want to get abused during the regular season. Otherwise, you'd better start looking at Henson/Romo for the answers.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
A few quick thoughts....

Henson strikes me as the more talented player, but Romo seems to have a better sense -- and cleverness -- in moving the football. Not so much tonight even, but just in general IMO. He's not a super-talented guy in my mind, but a crafty player with a good mind for the game.

Our right tackle situation is pitiful.

No one on offense really looked good from the first team other than Witten. We saw what Bledsoe looks like when he isn't protected well. And we saw our top three running backs entirely taken out of the game.

Oh, and our right tackle situation is pretty pitiful.

No idea how Burnett develops as a player, but I love the energy he brings to the sideline.

Vman

Reaction score
Dale said:

Did Rogers really only come in for only 2 plays? I read that somewhere. Hurt his knee, I believe?

<< Had to do something unusual for my 100th - only took 16 months. >>

blindzebra

Reaction score
Dale said:
A few quick thoughts....

Henson strikes me as the more talented player, but Romo seems to have a better sense -- and cleverness -- in moving the football. Not so much tonight even, but just in general IMO. He's not a super-talented guy in my mind, but a crafty player with a good mind for the game.

No one on offense really looked good from the first team other than Witten. We saw what Bledsoe looks like when he isn't protected well. And we saw our top three running backs entirely taken out of the game.

No idea how Burnett develops as a player, but I love the energy he brings to the sideline.

From seeing them in person I really question Romo's arm strength.

We were sitting pretty close during the warm up drills when each QB was making the same throw one after the other and you could hear the thump when the ball was caught whenever Henson threw it, but not so with Romo.

Tony seemed to make the correct read and get the ball out quickly, but there is no margin for error. You could see it on the deep pass to Crayton and the near INT.

While he did not put up the same numbers, Henson had several WOW throws, and the protection was not even close, and Tony had Witten against their 2nd string.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
That is false Romos was in against 2nd teamers the whole way. His first pass to Witten was defended By The cards backup SS.

What game were you watching? If you have it taped, watch it again. He was going against starters. Even the commentators mentioned it.

I think having a pro bowl TE against Cards second team may have helped him

Again, he faced STARTERS on his first series. Go ahead and have your agendas, but at least get your facts straight.

It wasn't just RT. Rivera got thrown around, and so did both our Centers. Flozell also gave up a sack (kind of Bledsack's fault though). Larry Allen must have been the only one that didn't flat out suck cuz his name wasn't called. lol

and the protection was not even close, and Tony had Witten against their 2nd string.

[broken record] Romo faced the cards starters on his first drive. [/end broken record]

Like I said, even the CARDS announcers commented that our 2nd Off was facing the Cards 1st team defense. And those Cards announcers were basically blowing the Cards the whole first half (had cowboys announcers in the second half).

Vman

Reaction score
Rack said:
Again, he faced STARTERS on his first series. Go ahead and have your agendas, but at least get your facts straight.

Well, you might be right about that to some degree but I certainly don't believe they were ALL in there with 7 minutes to go in the second quarter.

I don't think even we did that.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
We didn't do that. They may have taken some starters out, but I noticed most (possibly all) of their starters stayed in the game. Our only starter was Witten, and technically he wasn't a "Starter" since Campbell started the game ( I believe). I'm pretty sure he faced at least some of their starters on his second series as well.

All of it is irrelevant though cuz both QBs played good and that makes me happy. Is it a bad thing Romo threw the ball to our best reciever? I would hope all our QBs would be trying to get him the ball. Bledsoe? You reading this?

Vman

Reaction score
Rack said:
Is it a bad thing Romo threw the ball to our best reciever? I would hope all our QBs would be trying to get him the ball. Bledsoe? You reading this?

I think this is where we're diverging on this back-up QB issue. It's not a bad thing. It's a great thing. Romo did well. I only ever said that I just want to see Henson with the same weapons.

Based on how Henson did with the 'Yuck Bunch', I'm expecting good results.

lspain1

Reaction score
I would add Crowder to the "good" list. He looked awesome on special teams.

lspain1

Reaction score
Rack said:
And those Cards announcers were basically blowing the Cards the whole first half (had cowboys announcers in the second half).

Rack, you are exactly correct. Those guys had "homerism" so bad it was hard to follow the game.

theWave21

Reaction score
This game obviously meant more to the Cardinals' coaches and players than the Cowboys. The Cards were sending the ranch on every play and our lazy, unmotivated line did nothing to even slow them down. Also, all 3 of our quarterbacks looked slow in getting the snap from center and dropping back. I don't know if it's the center's fault, but the Cardinal's defensive ends seemed to have two steps across the line of scrimmage before our Qb's even had the ball from center.

I also believe the Boys coaches didn't want to show anything on defense. They pretty much played straight up and didn't blitz much. I would hope to see a lot of blitzing and our corners jamming at the line of scrimmage once the regular season starts.

I'm not real worried yet, but if the O-Line looks this bad in the next 2 pre-season games, it's time to make some moves.

Vman

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Rack, you are exactly correct. Those guys had "homerism" so bad it was hard to follow the game.

Yeah, they really did. So much so, the announcer (as they went to commercial at the end of the first half) said emphatically 'Cardinals 10 Cowboys Nothing'.

It was 10-3, of course.

Smith22

Reaction score
Rack said:
What game were you watching? If you have it taped, watch it again. He was going against starters. Even the commentators mentioned it.

Not that I really care, but go look at the play by play. It is obvious that at least 50% of the starters were gone when Romo came in. All the guys making tackles from the 1st quarter suddenly disappeared. I also remember the announcers saying all 2nd teamers are in, then they said oh wait, Witten isn't a 2nd teamer.

1st team for Cards had Macklin, Wilson, Berry, Dockett, Okeafor, etc....

theWave21

Reaction score
I think the second team defensive line looked better than the first team. The clock is ticking on Greg Ellis and company.

Smith22

Reaction score
theWave21 said:
I think the second team defensive line looked better than the first team. The clock is ticking on Greg Ellis and company.

Say What??? Don't think so. Ferguson, Spears and Ellis play plenty assuming Spears gets healthy, with a nice mix of Glover on passing downs.

theWave21

Reaction score
Obviously Ferguson and Spears are first teamers. Ellis just doesn't get the pass rush the cowboys need. Glover will make a nice platoon with Ferguson.