The Bad and the Good....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theWave21 said:
I think the second team defensive line looked better than the first team. The clock is ticking on Greg Ellis and company.

On paper, we should have been able to generate more push against their offensive line.

Everyone wants to talk backups when dismissing the play of Romo and Henson, but when you face an offensive line that is missing it's starting RT and C, with what amounts to your first string DL minus your nose, you should do better.

Vman

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
It is obvious that at least 50% of the starters were gone when Romo came in. All the guys making tackles from the 1st quarter suddenly disappeared. I also remember the announcers saying all 2nd teamers are in, then they said oh wait, Witten isn't a 2nd teamer.

I just ran the tivo up to where Romo comes in (between 1:13 - 1:18 time frame on your Tivo bar).

The Arizona announcers clearly state that both teams have their '2s' playing.

Then Witten makes a catch just moments later and the announcer says 'Well, Witten isn't a 2'.

You can clearly see that the Arizona first team DL is not on the field.

As far as other defensive players, its hard to say.

Although, Antrell Rolle makes a tackle on the very next play (or two plays) after Witten's catch and they comment that he is in for the first time.

Not to say that he doesn't have first team abilities...just that he's a 2nd teamer at the moment.

Ken

Reaction score
Dale said:
A few quick thoughts....

Henson strikes me as the more talented player, but Romo seems to have a better sense -- and cleverness -- in moving the football. Not so much tonight even, but just in general IMO. He's not a super-talented guy in my mind, but a crafty player with a good mind for the game.

Our right tackle situation is pitiful.

No one on offense really looked good from the first team other than Witten. We saw what Bledsoe looks like when he isn't protected well. And we saw our top three running backs entirely taken out of the game.

Oh, and our right tackle situation is pretty pitiful.

No idea how Burnett develops as a player, but I love the energy he brings to the sideline.

I think you summed up Henson and the right tackle position perfectly.

I also like Burnett. He seemed to be around the ball alot. Didn't see the sideline demeaner, but you were there. That is good to hear.

I really liked the rooks overall. Ware seemed a little unsure of himself at times. I think he will play even faster when he gets comfortable. I know he blasted Warner at least twice, just missing sacks. The Cards did a good job of gettting rid of the ball quickly on O. That was a big reason for a lack of rush. Let's also not forget that Ware was going against Leonard Davis. Not a bad player at all.

Canty was impressive. Very athletic, Powerful, and fluid for a man his size. He really is going to be a great player. So good at the point of attack, has the ability to get seperation with his arms and toss the blocker off with ease.

Ratliff looks like he is going to stick. The kid has a motor and some ability. He will be a great rotation guy.

Right tackle, man, just horrid. I thought Petiti played the best out of all three. He got beat by Chiki on the first drive. Kinda settled in a played solidly. For his first time out, not bad.

I think we really have to give the Cards Defense some credit here. They are a damn good unit, IMO. I was impressed. Berry and Dockett are big time players. Okeafor is a nice complement to those guys. Adrian Wilson is damn good. When they move Rolle up to first team, they are going to be elite.

Facing their defense first game could be the best thing that happens to this team, in all honesty. It lets everyone know they are not there yet and they have to work that much harder. It also showed us how improtant it is to protect Bledsoe. We have to get better.

Ken

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Rack, you are exactly correct. Those guys had "homerism" so bad it was hard to follow the game.
In all honesty, when the switched to Dallas announcers, it must have been even worse for cards fans. I mean, the halftime highlights were all of the cowboys, how could that have been when the first team had 20 yards of offense?

:)

Ken

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
I would add Crowder to the "good" list. He looked awesome on special teams.
NO doubt, the guy looks to be a special teams demon.

That blocked punt may have been the best one I have ever seen.

I just don't know if that is enough to warrant a roster spot. He has to be able to add something at WR to stick.

It will be a tough decision.

lspain1

Reaction score
Ken said:
In all honesty, when the switched to Dallas announcers, it must have been even worse for cards fans. I mean, the halftime highlights were all of the cowboys, how could that have been when the first team had 20 yards of offense?

:)

Hmmm, you might have something there. :rolleyes: From the comments we were getting in the second half from "our guys," you could tell they were not seeing a whole lot to write home about from the team. However, there were some individual performances that showed promise.

I got the impression that the Cowboys showed a bit more depth than the Cards overall (outside of the OL). Did anyone else see this, or am I being overly optimistic....again?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Ken said:
NO doubt, the guy looks to be a special teams demon.

That blocked punt may have been the best one I have ever seen.

I just don't know if that is enough to warrant a roster spot. He has to be able to add something at WR to stick.

It will be a tough decision.

But it was rather funny when he was looking all around for the ball after he tipped it.

Ken

Reaction score
Alexander said:
But it was rather funny when he was looking all around for the ball after he tipped it.

That was. He definitely is trying his damdest to make this squad. You could see the want to on that play, with him looking around wildly, and the kickoff coverage where he was the fist man down and made the tackle, while being illegally blocked in the back!

:bow: Crowders special teams...

Ken

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Hmmm, you might have something there. :rolleyes: From the comments we were getting in the second half from "our guys," you could tell they were not seeing a whole lot to write home about from the team. However, there were some individual performances that showed promise.

I got the impression that the Cowboys showed a bit more depth than the Cards overall (outside of the OL). Did anyone else see this, or am being overly optimistic....again?

I mean, look no further than the player of the game, 6 carries, 10 yards for further proof. :)

I also sensed that we had more depth. I mean, they had no one, other than maybe Pace, who could touch Thompson, Henson, Canty, Ratliff, Johnson, - on third teams.

I liked that about the game.