The Best Dog You've Ever Been Around

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Growing up we had a cocker spaniel named Shelby. We got her when I was 4 in 1989 and she lived until her kidneys shut down and we had to put her down two years ago. It's weird looking back on it, but she was the only real constant in my life from the time I can remember anything until I was in my mid-20s. Damn I loved that dog, still miss her sometimes. I've never met a more enthusiastic animal.

arglebargle

Reaction score
I want to put a good word in for the Sighthounds here. My old vet, who I knew socially, raised sighthounds, so I got to meet all sorts of greyhounds, salukis, afgan hounds, borzois, and their mixes. I really enjoyed knowing them: they were pretty sweet, smart, interesting dogs. Well, scratch that smart for the afgans and borzois.

They are also serious athletes. If you get a 'Recycled Racer' off the tracks, there's actually a period where you have to go exercise them like crazy, they are so used to high level athletics. After a few months they taper down to a more normal coach style lollygagging. Being that Greyhounds are still bred for a task, they have less screwed up bloodlines than some other dogs. Also, the breed has an ancient lineage: you can go back and find ancient Egyption and Middle Eastern art that has the identifiable sighthound characteristics.

A neighbor of mine got a retired racer, a fine black greyhound named Jesse. He earned a couple of sacks of treats from me for his bravery under...fire...sorta. The neighborhood had a pair of predatory skunks that came around all the time, messing up the trash and stinking up things. Most dogs on the block were incapacitated by their particular brand of chemical warfare. Jesse, being a sight hunter, was not. He just got angry instead, and in one week he caught and killed both skunks!

That is one issue with them; if you have cats you have to monitor the dogs' behavior. Especially the retired racers, as they have been taught to chase small (real or faux) critters.

Warick

Reaction score
I had a few dogs as a kid, but my favorite was a black lab named Diego. Haven't had a dog since then, but one of the dogs I would like if I ever get one is a Doberman.

[youtube]M7bdpta6YYE[/youtube]
[youtube]ZRrfmpyWb6w&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
[youtube]Ebf-9a9qhZ0[/youtube]
[youtube]OFeJSd6_vyc&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
My chihuahuha "Miley Dancer"...AKA "squirrely girl" is the most LOYAL animal I have ever owned. She sleeps under the covers with me every night. If it's in the middle of the day, and I decide to take a nap, she'll curl up with me and go to sleep. I tell her all my secrets.
http://i459.***BLOCKED***/albums/qq317/RynieRynie/miley.jpg

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
arglebargle;4189942 said:
I want to put a good word in for the Sighthounds here. My old vet, who I knew socially, raised sighthounds, so I got to meet all sorts of greyhounds, salukis, afgan hounds, borzois, and their mixes. I really enjoyed knowing them: they were pretty sweet, smart, interesting dogs. Well, scratch that smart for the afgans and borzois.

They are also serious athletes. If you get a 'Recycled Racer' off the tracks, there's actually a period where you have to go exercise them like crazy, they are so used to high level athletics. After a few months they taper down to a more normal coach style lollygagging. Being that Greyhounds are still bred for a task, they have less screwed up bloodlines than some other dogs. Also, the breed has an ancient lineage: you can go back and find ancient Egyption and Middle Eastern art that has the identifiable sighthound characteristics.

A neighbor of mine got a retired racer, a fine black greyhound named Jesse. He earned a couple of sacks of treats from me for his bravery under...fire...sorta. The neighborhood had a pair of predatory skunks that came around all the time, messing up the trash and stinking up things. Most dogs on the block were incapacitated by their particular brand of chemical warfare. Jesse, being a sight hunter, was not. He just got angry instead, and in one week he caught and killed both skunks!

That is one issue with them; if you have cats you have to monitor the dogs' behavior. Especially the retired racers, as they have been taught to chase small (real or faux) critters.

I concur that they are GREAT dogs... had several friends with them...

On the other hand, they are VERY bizarre looking... extremely narrow hips... skinny like a piece of paper... huge chest... no belly...

Not knocking them as a family member, they just look weird, but great dogs... and you are right... VERY athletic and fast... this is a dog that will run you to DEATH...

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well.....whatever dog you do end up with, you just got yourself a new best friend....good luck with him/her.

jcollins28

Reaction score
CowboyStar88;4187655 said:
Hos although it is going to be to hot in AZ I would highly suggest a loyal smart husky I have had one for 11 years now and every day I am amazed at how smart and calm she is. She has the best demenor of any dog I have ever been around and she is a big hit with all the kids by our house. They just can't wait to see her every day shoot me a PM and ill get you some pics. The breeder I got her from breeds his dogs for the movies and racing in the idiron sp?

I have two Husky's and they are awesome dogs! They like to be active though so if you don't normally go for runs, bike rides or long walks I would not suggest getting a Husky. These dogs are athletes and they need exercise.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Hostile;4189316 said:
I am going to rescue a dog from the shelter.

...you for your decision. The good lord is going to reward you for your kindness and generosity.

Your dog will return untold benefits to you in the coming years.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Rynie;4189958 said:
My chihuahuha "Miley Dancer"...AKA "squirrely girl" is the most LOYAL animal I have ever owned. She sleeps under the covers with me every night. If it's in the middle of the day, and I decide to take a nap, she'll curl up with me and go to sleep. I tell her all my secrets.
http://i459.***BLOCKED***/albums/qq317/RynieRynie/miley.jpg

I'm Anti-Chihuahua. As a matter a fact, I'm Anti-Pomeranian too. Those are punting dogs. ;)

[youtube]MgqJrdi7cII[/youtube]

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4190734 said:
I'm Anti-Chihuahua. As a matter a fact, I'm Anti-Pomeranian too. Those are punting dogs. ;)

Ah man. You suck. What a heartless ******* you are!! *smiley face

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Rynie;4190738 said:
Ah man. You suck. What a heartless ******* you are!! *smiley face

I just don't like high strung dogs. ...just like I don't like high strung people. :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I love dogs but not as much as bunny's

[Youtube]pq4zY7a8dWU&feature[/youtube]

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4190749 said:
I just don't like high strung dogs. ...just like I don't like high strung people. :)

That's completely understandable.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4190749 said:

While I generally agree with you (though they are refered to around here as 'drop kick dogs'), I think the stereotype is partly from the type of people that get the dogs. High strung person --> high strung dog.

I recently met a really cool (said through gritted teeth) chihuahuha. And it was teacup no less. But I could not in good conscience say it wasn't a great pup.

And most terriers are honorary 'Big Dogs'.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
CowboyMike;4187532 said:
This is what you do...

You go to the animal shelter/humane society/non-profit rescue organization, and you walk through the dogs that have been taken in without a home.

Then you wait for the one that gives you "that look" and your gut tells you is the one.

And that's the best dog you'll ever have.

this one there are so many breeds and everyone is going to tell you something special about each breed. but the only you want is the one that gets ur gut feeling.

1fisher

Reaction score
I have the best Jack Russell money can buy. She is the best dog I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of them. Her best friend, a Jack Russell, was killed a couple of years ago.

The experts tell you they are not lap dogs and they are hyper. They have a lot of energy but I don't consider them hyper. And she will relax in my lap as long as I allow it. She loves my three daughters and they feel the same about her.

Great little dog!

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile;4187115 said:
I am seriously considering getting a dog after the day we had yesterday. As I have been looking at dogs in the classifieds and other places and thinking about what breed I would like to get it got me to thinking about a thread about the dogs you have been around that you really liked.

What made that dog special?

My brother-in-law is a magician in the Phoenix area. Several years ago a couple that he knew decided to go spend a couple of months in Europe and asked his family to care for their dog. They ended up deciding to stay there and the dog became part of the family.

He was a part Chow, part Husky mix that was all red and they called him Chewy, short for Chewbaca. I have never been around a dog like him ever and I have been around a few good ones.

He didn't jump on people. He didn't lick. He didn't bark at nothing. If he barked, there was a reason.

One time we had a party at his house and they were rebuilding the fence around the back yard. So the whole back yard was exposed to the driveway on the side of the house and therefore the street in front of the house. Chewy never left the property. He didn't need a chain or a fence. He stayed where he belonged. I never once saw him go inside their house and the back door was always open.

At the party we had 7 really small kids all playing in the yard. No adult watched those kids. Chewy did. If they started going towards the driveway he herded them back to the safe area.

One night my daughters and his wanted to sleep on the trampoline outside. This is in a rather large city mind you. The trampoline had a net around the outside. My brother-in-law assured us all that the kids would be safe with Chewy in the back yard. The kids got their sleeping bags on the trampoline and Chewy slept at the foot of the stairs that led to the one opening. No one could have touched those kids.

One other night I fell asleep in the hammock in the back yard. I woke up in the middle of the night and there was Chewy at the base of the hammock watching me.

He remembered people. I had a job to inspect in Phoenix one very early day so I called to stay at his house so I didn't have to drive so early. They left the back door unlocked for me. When I came in the back yard Chewy was on guard. I called his name, let him smell me, and he let me in. A magician friend of my brother-in-law's was not so lucky. Chewy did not know him and he cornered him in the kid's tree house. He called my brother-in-law on his cell phone and my brother-in-law told him to hold the phone down where Chewy could hear it. Over the phone he told Chewy it was okay and to stand down and the dog did. The next time that other magician came to the house Chewy knew him and let him in just like he did me.

About three years ago he got cancer and had to be put down. I still look for him every time I go to their house, hoping to see him.

He didn't do a lot of tricks, in fact just one. He would fetch a tennis ball, but then you had to catch him to get it back. He was just a great watch dog, that seemed to understand without being told.

No worries, Hos, any dog you get you'll love...

When I lose a dog, I go right down to the pound the next day, and I basically let a dog choose me... it's worked really well for me, I've been blessed to have 3 great dogs in my adult life...

My only advice would be not to get an adult dog, get a puppy... I say that because dogs live a short enough life span as it is, and it hurts when one you love dies... so maximize the time you'll have together...

Besides, you don't want to miss the fun (and yeah, the aggravation) of the puppy phase...