The Best Dog You've Ever Been Around

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
CowboyMike;4187532 said:
This is what you do...

You go to the animal shelter/humane society/non-profit rescue organization, and you walk through the dogs that have been taken in without a home.

Then you wait for the one that gives you "that look" and your gut tells you is the one.

And that's the best dog you'll ever have.

Excellent advice, Mike... it's never let me down...

With my current mutt Aly (short for Alyeska), she was a little snowball of a puppy, pure white... just as cute as she could be... problem is, she also had a sister, just as cute...

So I solved the problem by having the girl on duty let me into the cage... I sat down in a corner, and waited until one of them came up to me... that was my Aly, and the rest is history...

Like I said, I let her pick me... it's an excellent approach, IMO...

silverbear

Reaction score
Sarge;4187653 said:
:signmast: - save a life and make yours better all in one.

Exactly... pound dogs need love, too, and they have a lot of it to give...

silverbear

Reaction score
Faerluna;4187817 said:
Obviously, I'm on board with a shelter dog, too.

There are a lot of highly intelligent people with big hearts on this board...

The hardest part about getting a dog from the animal shelter is all the dogs you have to leave there when you make your choice...

silverbear

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4188518 said:
Been around two of the greatest dogs I can think of.

My sister got a Belgium Shepard from the Pound and named her Salem...That dog was so smart and so much fun to be around...she was fantastic.

And my parents bought a Cairn Terrior when I was 14 and named him Freeway after the dog on Hart to Hart and he was just an incredible dog...he was 15 when we had to put him to sleep and I was there holding him and talking to him...One of the worst days of my life...I'm crying right now typing this thinking about it.

I had to do that with my first dog, Thunder... it hurt like hell, but I wasn't gonna let him take his last breath surrounded by strangers... so I was scratching his ears, telling him what a good boy he was, when the lights went out... never let him see the tears, or my heartbreak, that came after...

Then I went and got Bear, and lost myself in integrating him into the household... that doesn't mean I forgot Thunder, I still remember that rascal... I swear, the way he could jump, he must have been part kangaroo; I remember this one time when I was laying on the sofa watching TV, when he got the notion that he wanted some attention... so he took a flying leap over the back of the sofa, cleared it easily, and came down square on the family jewels... ooof...

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
silverbear;4191472 said:
I had to do that with my first dog, Thunder... it hurt like hell, but I wasn't gonna let him take his last breath surrounded by strangers... so I was scratching his ears, telling him what a good boy he was, when the lights went out... never let him see the tears, or my heartbreak, that came after...

I'm so glad that I was there...I don't regret it for one second.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ConcordCowboy;4191524 said:
I'm so glad that I was there...I don't regret it for one second.

All my dogs have died in my arms. It is sad beyond words but they pass on right where they are suppose to, in their best friends arms. Months later, you will have no regrets.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
silverbear;4191460 said:
Excellent advice, Mike... it's never let me down...

With my current mutt Aly (short for Alyeska), she was a little snowball of a puppy, pure white... just as cute as she could be... problem is, she also had a sister, just as cute...

So I solved the problem by having the girl on duty let me into the cage... I sat down in a corner, and waited until one of them came up to me... that was my Aly, and the rest is history...

Like I said, I let her pick me... it's an excellent approach, IMO...

That's how I basically got my Husky (sky) short for Skylar.. I went to the breeders house I was put in a room and waited till one of the puppies chose me. 11 years later I am so blessed she did. People say she needs all this exercise but she will disagree. She loves the boat and loves to swim with me. When I lose her I am not sure how I will ever get over it. She is my world and has been since she was 6 weeks old. We are inseparable.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
silverbear;4191472 said:

Then I went and got Bear, and lost myself in integrating him into the household... that doesn't mean I forgot Thunder, I still remember that rascal... I swear, the way he could jump, he must have been part kangaroo; I remember this one time when I was laying on the sofa watching TV, when he got the notion that he wanted some attention... so he took a flying leap over the back of the sofa, cleared it easily, and came down square on the family jewels... ooof...

My heart just sank...

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Got the perfect dog for you Hos ----wished you lived a little closer...We call her Sugar --cause you know

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
justbob;4191617 said:
Got the perfect dog for you Hos ----wished you lived a little closer...We call her Sugar --cause you know
Tell me about her.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Hostile;4191658 said:
Tell me about her.

Sent you a pm -not sure if it went thru ---go to working aussie source. there is an ad with two of my dogs....Will be listed as H Cross aussies

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Me and Freeway used to play this game.

Can I in any way sneak up to my bedroom with a bag of Doritos with out Freeway knowing about it and scratching at my door.

He always won.

He loved Doritos as much as I did.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4192059 said:

Can I in any way sneak up to my bedroom with a bag of Doritos with out Freeway knowing about it and scratching at my door.

He always won.

I like that story too.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score

He always won.

I had a cat like that, except it was ice cream instead of Doritos. I swear that cat could tell when I opened the freezer and took out the carton from all the way in the other room.

:D

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Faerluna;4192770 said:
I had a cat like that, except it was ice cream instead of Doritos. I swear that cat could tell when I opened the freezer and took out the carton from all the way in the other room.

:D

Wait... what? Who brought up cats? ;)

silverbear

Reaction score
CowboyStar88;4191605 said:
My heart just sank...

It's a sad thing to have to do, but I owed it to him... you have no idea how hard it was to stay calm and reassuring to him while they were getting him ready for the needle...

And man, was my house EMPTY when I got home... that's when my heart told me I had to go get another dog, no matter how much it hurts to lose them...

silverbear

Reaction score

He always won.

My nephew started a game with Aly that still cracks us up... at first, we tried tossing food to her for her to catch, and she'd just watch it bounce off her nose, then look at us like we were crazy...

But eventually, she caught on to the fact that she was supposed to catch what we threw at her, and got pretty good at it... so one evening, my nephew was eating some cashews, and from time to time throwing one her way... but one time, he threw it at her while her attention was directed my way, and it bounced off of her and into her water dish... well, she dove right in after it, and came up with her muzzle dripping, tail wagging happily... so Michael (that's my nephew) started dropping them into her bowl, just to watch her get wet all over again... then the sadist in him took over, and he picked up her water dish and replaced with an old cast iron Dutch oven we had, one of the really deep ones... filled it with water, and tossed a cashew in, and sure enough, she went after it... she came up soaked up to her ears, just as happy as she could be...

And we're on the floor laughing at her... damn fool mutt...