The Best Player Available Myth

cowboyec

Reaction score
they have gotten the WR spot right more often than not over the years.
thats one area they seem to get it right.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lamb was a luxury pick. One we couldn’t afford after paying our WR and RB while letting several defensive starters walk .

Are we a better team as a result ?

We are over invested on offense and it’s not paying dividends.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lamb was a luxury pick. One we couldn’t afford after paying our WR and RB while letting several defensive starters walk .

Are we a better team as a result ?

We are over invested on offense and it’s not paying dividends.

And BPA in Cap era has changed. It’s meaning is now pertaining to positions of need. Cap era doesn’t allow teams to stockpile on positions. Slot receiver was not a major position of need.

We had several receivers returning back from injury like Wilson and could have used a later pick to shore up. Just a waste of valuable assets unless the offense is enough to carry a bottom feeder defense which it obviously isn’t .

Lamb is a great pick if we hadn’t resigned Cooper using that Cap money to sign Jones , Heath or Collins
Why do you guys keep acting like a 1st round pick makes or breaks a teams season. What player at that pick would make us a better team right now?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And BPA in Cap era has changed. It’s meaning is now pertaining to positions of need. Cap era doesn’t allow teams to stockpile on positions. Slot receiver was not a major position of need.

We had several receivers returning back from injury like Wilson and could have used a later pick to shore up like we did previous year. Just a waste of valuable assets unless the offense is enough to carry a bottom feeder defense which it obviously isn’t .

Lamb is a great pick if we hadn’t resigned Cooper using that Cap money to sign Jones , Heath or Collins

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why do you guys keep acting like a 1st round pick makes or breaks a teams season. What player at that pick would make us a better team right now?
You’re missing the overall point not just for this year but our history in recent drafts and Mgmt of the Cap with not enough emphasis on defense and weaknesses.

WR wasn’t a weakness that needed addressing in 1st round.

There were 3 CB , 3 LB and an edge rusher taken in 1st round after our selection . And if we didn’t like any of them we could have traded down and added a pick to shore up the defense or other weaknesses.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/4/23/21228654/nfl-draft-results-2020-picks-first-round-order

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Jury is still out on our more recent picks though. Biadasz looks like the real deal though

Williams I think is never going to be more than serviceable at guard.. Just not strong enough. Biadasz has been pretty good especially for a rookie.. I know neither was actually drafted but both Steele and Knight show promise. Neither is ready to be a full time starter in the league yet but I'm intrigued.. Probably the best line in team history featured to UDFAs in Newton and Tuinei.. so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they blossom down the line. It would not hurt my feelings if in two years we see those two on the ends, Collins back at LG where he absolutely mashed people, Biadasz at Center, Martin at RG and Williams as the swinger.. Assuming Tyron's neck issue is NOT resolved by the surgery of course. If it is, you roll Smith, Williams, Biadasz, Martin and Collins out on opening day 2021 and you're back to a top 5 offensive line.

Shane612

Reaction score
What team can truly take the highest ranked player on their draft board regardless of needs?

The Dallas Cowboys had the #1 offense and #2 passing offense in 2019 and didn't lose a WR in FA. Add to this they used the #1 pick on a WR in 2019. And they renewed him for a top 5 WR contract.

This is not against CeeDee Lamb, he's a fine player and a find at 17 but why didn't he get picked earlier? Some teams had him as the #1 WR in that draft, ahead of Jeudy and Ruggs. Why didn't they take him?

The Cowboys lose their best DB and DL and have an injury prone LB and another with a neck issue, not a good issue for a LB.

Some wonder why this team continues to struggle but consider the % of the cap that goes to the offense, they spent the 1st pick on a WR, they hired an offensive HC who made a questionable DC hire. Would you feel 2nd class to be on this defense?

Management continues to treat the defense like a red headed stepchild and then wonders why it is such a problem.

The answer to the question I pose is none. No team can afford to ignore needs and all teams have more than one draft board and few use the main board.

Now, had you been constructing the needs position board for the Cowboys in this last draft, where would WR have fallen? Was that position even on your needs list going in? It wasn't on mine.

Bottom line is, brand new flashy players make Jerry money. Big fat defensive linemen don't.
:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we followed your advice, we'd have Chaisson.

Do you really wanna trade 1 sack and 8 tackles for CeeDee?

/thread
I wouldn't have necessarily picked him but I saw Lamb as a luxury pick and the problem is the defense, are we any better on the defense?

How many good teams do you think would spend 2 1sts on WR's in back to back drafts?

Lamb was passed on by 16 other teams that addressed needs but this GM is all about flash and splash and that's why he's a Cowboy.

JBS

Reaction score
Dallas should have drafted defense!!!!! Klavon chaisson was sitting in their laps!!!!!

Oh wait..he sucks..

Close thread

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Remember when people were happy that we took Zeke at #4 overall? The consensus on here was that he was the BPA. Even though Zeke has mostly lived up to the hype, it’s still ridiculous to spend a top 5 pick on any RB. Same way you probably don’t spend a 1st round pick on a WR when you already have two really good WRs.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Williams I think is never going to be more than serviceable at guard.. Just not strong enough. Biadasz has been pretty good especially for a rookie.. I know neither was actually drafted but both Steele and Knight show promise. Neither is ready to be a full time starter in the league yet but I'm intrigued.. Probably the best line in team history featured to UDFAs in Newton and Tuinei.. so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they blossom down the line. It would not hurt my feelings if in two years we see those two on the ends, Collins back at LG where he absolutely mashed people, Biadasz at Center, Martin at RG and Williams as the swinger.. Assuming Tyron's neck issue is NOT resolved by the surgery of course. If it is, you roll Smith, Williams, Biadasz, Martin and Collins out on opening day 2021 and you're back to a top 5 offensive line.
Steele is going to be an interesting guy to watch in the future. He is not a good OT right now, but you cant expect from a rookie UDFA. Knight has a little more NFL time under his belt. From what I have seen so far, I dont know if has the ability to be a plus starter, but I think he could he a Cam Fleming level backup OT.

We will get a good look at McGovern this week, and probably next week as well

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Steele is going to be an interesting guy to watch in the future. He is not a good OT right now, but you cant expect from a rookie UDFA. Knight has a little more NFL time under his belt. From what I have seen so far, I dont know if has the ability to be a plus starter, but I think he could he a Cam Fleming level backup OT.

We will get a good look at McGovern this week, and probably next week as well

Yeah younger fans won't remember that Tuinei made his first pro bowl in his 11th year. Nate was in his 7th. Even highly drafted linemen typically take a year or two to step up the the NFL level. It's silly to think that Knight and Steele should be read to go from day one. Neither is ready to be a full time starter at this point but this is what we're left with. That's where the coaches have to be smart. No more asking these kids to go one on one with all pro DEs. That's begging for a strip sack to happen.. or to get your QB blown up. If they don't adjust we're even more screwed than we thought.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah younger fans won't remember that Tuinei made his first pro bowl in his 11th year. Nate was in his 7th. Even highly drafted linemen typically take a year or two to step up the the NFL level. It's silly to think that Knight and Steele should be read to go from day one. Neither is ready to be a full time starter at this point but this is what we're left with. That's where the coaches have to be smart. No more asking these kids to go one on one with all pro DEs. That's begging for a strip sack to happen.. or to get your QB blown up. If they don't adjust we're even more screwed than we thought.
Problem is, we don't have enough extra guys to help every OL on every play, which isn't too far from the reality of what might be necessary against a D-line like Washington's.

Big_D

Reaction score
BPA, no gambles, no injuries, no trade ups, no drug addicts, no headaches, no stupid decisions like a RB 4th overall and don't trade your top tier draft picks. Here's your guidelines. Follow that and BPA would be just fine. In the day and age of 4 year deals all those things are setting you back. And it's not like Jerry sprinkles one of those in on occasion. He does them all. Look no further in case anyone is wondering why this team is pure crap right now. Sure they're injured, but zero depth and a roster that is always devoid of talent for the most part. Jerry believes in his superstars while he lets the rest of the team go to crap. His usual recipe that never works.

** never mind the coaching decisions. But this is the snowball effect on one pick. Imagine a day when you can rip the Lamb pick? lol Only Jerry can pull that off and here are all your reasons why!

Last edited:

kevm3

Reaction score
CeeDee was the right choice. We had a middle of the road pick and an elite player fell to us and we took him. Reaching would have given us another Taco Charlton. How about we actually try to do something in free agency other than sign project players and 'bargains'?