CFZ The better teams in the NFL are often drafting QBs

morat1959

Reaction score
Here’s a very revealing stat: Since 2000 - the last 24 drafts - the Cowboys have only drafted 6 QBs. Here’s the list:
  • 2001- Quincy Carter round 2
  • 2007- Isiah Stanback- round 4 (never took a snap as a QB because he was converted to WR)
  • 2009- Stephen McGee, round 4 (part of the worst draft in team history)
  • 2016- Dak Prescott, round 4
  • 2018- Mike White, round 6
  • 2020- Ben DiNucci- round 7
That’s it. Six QBs drafted in 24 drafts. We’ve drafted 2 QB in the last 8 drafts and that was 6th rounder Mike White and 7th rounder Ben DiNucci. That’s just crazy.

Looking at the teams in the 21st century with the most success, they draft QBs often. Even if they already have a HOF QB in place. Look at the number of QBs these teams have drafted since 2000:
  • Patriots: 13 (they drafted 12 after getting the GOAT Tom Brady!)
  • Niners: 11 (They drafted Brock Purdy the year after drafting Trey Lance in round 1)
  • Broncos: 11
  • Ravens: 10 (they drafted Lamar Jackson when they already had SB MVP Joe Flacco)
  • Eagles: 10
  • Packers: 8 (they drafted Aaron Rodgers with the 24th pick 3 yrs before Favre left and drafted Jordan Love with the 26th pick when they had Rodgers!)
  • Chiefs: 7 (they moved up in the draft to get Mahomes in 2017 when they already had Alex Smith who had just taken them to the playoffs)
Every single one of those teams have won multiple conference championships and either won or played in multiple SBs since 2000. The Cowboys have drafted 6 QBs in the same time frame and have zero conference championship appearances. That’s not a coincidence. For whatever reason, Jerry has acted like “we’re set at QB“ without any interest in finding a diamond in the rough as so many other teams have.

It’s pretty clear that the better teams the last two decades know how important it is to draft a QB. Even if you already have a QB you like. There’s a fundamental truth at play here: You can’t find a diamond in the rough at QB if you don’t even try.

Late edit: It’s six QBs drafted not five. Missed Mike White in 2018. Thanks
@TheMarathonContinues
Excellent post! I knew we ignored the QB position but this is just another in the long list of failures by this inept front office. I’ve been crying to draft QBs for years. It also wouldn’t hurt to bring in some viable alternatives in free agency. It’s like they’re scared to hurt the starters feelings. Competition only makes you better and the cream will always rise to the top.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys also used a 3rd and 4th round pick on Drew Henson and Trey Lance. By the way Flacco was in decline when the Ravens drafted Jackson and four QBs were drafted ahead of him and three went bust.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought I made it clear, I am not disagreeing with the fact that the Cowboys have not used significant resources, specifically in the draft as mentioned by the OP, to improve the QB position.

Yet the OP also listed the Broncos that have drafted a lot of QBs and have been very successful because of it, when quite the opposite is true. They have SUCKED at drafting QBs.

The only amount of any success the Broncos have had in the 2000's is because totally different team drafted a QB to replace their aging HOF QB, and then was subsequently released.

I'm just not a fan of using bad data to defend or prove a point. And in this case, using Denver to prove drafting QBs = success is flat out false.

Again, for the FOURTH TIME, I don't disagree with the OP's premise.

But lets also acknowledge that Denver drafting a bunch of QB NEVER lead to any of their success in the 2000's (so far), which the OP tried to imply.

If that screams to you "sAcKmAsTeR sUpPoRtS jErRy'S aPpRoAcH tO tHe Qb SiTuAtIoN", then that's a you problem since I said nothing of the sort.
:thumbup:
That’s a fair point.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Here’s a very revealing stat: Since 2000 - the last 24 drafts - the Cowboys have only drafted 6 QBs. Here’s the list:
  • 2007- Isiah Stanback- round 4 (never took a snap as a QB because he was converted to WR)
That’s it. Six QBs drafted in 24 drafts. We’ve drafted 2 QB in the last 8 drafts and that was 6th rounder Mike White and 7th rounder Ben DiNucci. That’s just crazy.

Looking at the teams in the 21st century with the most success, they draft QBs often. Even if they already have a HOF QB in place. Look at the number of QBs these teams have drafted since 2000:
  • Niners: 11 (They drafted Brock Purdy the year after drafting Trey Lance in round 1)
  • Ravens: 10 (they drafted Lamar Jackson when they already had SB MVP Joe Flacco)
  • Packers: 8 (they drafted Aaron Rodgers with the 24th pick 3 yrs before Favre left and drafted Jordan Love with the 26th pick when they had Rodgers!)
  • Chiefs: 7 (they moved up in the draft to get Mahomes in 2017 when they already had Alex Smith who had just taken them to the playoffs)
Every single one of those teams have won multiple conference championships and either won or played in multiple SBs since 2000. The Cowboys have drafted 6 QBs in the same time frame and have zero conference championship appearances. That’s not a coincidence. For whatever reason, Jerry has acted like “we’re set at QB“ without any interest in finding a diamond in the rough as so many other teams have.

It’s pretty clear that the better teams the last two decades know how important it is to draft a QB. Even if you already have a QB you like. There’s a fundamental truth at play here: You can’t find a diamond in the rough at QB if you don’t even try.

@TheMarathonContinues[/USER
[/QUOTE]
Very interesting and revealing. I wonder if they’ll draft one this year. I also wonder how many DT’s they’ve drafted since 2000.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Alex Smith was going to be 34 when KC drafted Mahomes. They were looking for Smith’s replacement and saw an opportunity. Smith was basically a stopgap who SF had given up on.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the Dak haters want ANOTHER QB drafted as well. To hell with so many other positions of need.

:facepalm:
AC, I can only speak for myself, but I’m neither a “Dak hater” nor do I think we don’t have lots of positions of need. We certainly do. I’m just saying it’s hard to find a greatQB if you so rarely draft one.

And, I will also say I have supported Dak and I think he is obviously a good NFL QB. But I also think sometimes you have to move on from a guy when you can’t get over the hump. Losing to the packers and the 4 other playoff losses are not all on Dak. Dak did not play that well against the pack but defense was horrible.

Im just trying to clarify that not everything about Dak is all or nothing. And that I also believe this team has a ton of needs that must be addressed in this upcoming draft. I just wanted to show in this thread that many of the best teams in the NFL draft QBs a lot more often than we do.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

@TheMarathonContinues
Great info, thanks Bob.

We find QBs at the dollar store.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
And been rewarded by finding a QB to bring them a championship. Trash Prescott has held this team back! And will continue too until his choking arse is gone.
Yea, all the QBs the Pats drafted really made a difference for them.

What a ridiculous point.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's pointless drafting a top QB if you don't have a top coach to pair with him. If you get a Bill Parcells, you need a Peyton Manning to pair with him, and vice versa.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo and Prescott are partially to blame
Though I would argue even if the FO is happy with their QB, you draft one in the later rounds every couple of years.

But they are why we didnt use a first rounder…..

Hadenough

Reaction score
Romo and Prescott are partially to blame
Though I would argue even if the FO is happy with their QB, you draft one in the later rounds every couple of years.

But they are why we didnt use a first rounder…..
Drafting a QB in the later rounds is pointless. Look at all the 2nd round busts Jerry has drafted that could of just as well been a QB. Jerry loves to just throw darts at those 2nd rounders.

75boyz

Reaction score
Gotta give credit where it's due in GB to go from Favre to Rodgers and now "possibly" Love. Yet to be determined on Love, but the kid's definitely got potential.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Drafting a QB in the later rounds is pointless. Look at all the 2nd round busts Jerry has drafted that could of just as well been a QB. Jerry loves to just throw darts at those 2nd rounders.
What Im saying is IF the front office thinks they have a franchise QB with 5-8 more years left to play, they will not use a 1st rounder on a QB.

Talking from that perspective only

GMO415

Reaction score
Conclusion: we're not one of the better teams in the NFL.
200.gif

MarkP88

Reaction score
Myth. Totally made up.

How long was Phillip Rivers in SD? Matt Ryan in Atlanta? Ben Roeth in Pitt?

Teams don't move on from QBs who give them a chance to be good because there are so few of them and there is no solution for replacing them.

Save the stupid "Ben won a Super Bowl" argument. It's not relevant. He was there for another 12 years after his last win.
Roethlisberger is a first ballot hall of fame who was playing well even in his later years - and Pittsburgh did spend a third-rounder on Rudolph in 2018. I'm sure they wish they'd done more to strengthen that position before then. The Chargers spent a third rounder on a QB two years after they drafted Rivers. The Falcons no doubt regret not spending any halfway significant draft capital on a QB before they finally parted ways with Ryan. Of course, the thing with these guys - especially Big Ben and Ryan - is that they actually made deep playoff runs. Once you have a guy you know can take you where you want to go, you do your best to maximize the number of years you can contend with them (ideally while not abandoning the position in the draft). Then of course you have the Packers, the aforementioned Niners and Eagles. Pretty unbelievable for the Packers to go from Favre to Rogers and now to Love...we could be looking at about 40 years of unbroken QB greatness there if Love keeps improving. All because they weren't afraid to swing and miss on a QB even though they already had a damn good one.

As for us: Dak is not in Ben's/Ryan's/Rivers's class. We have seen nearly a decade of him not being good enough. So the question for the Cowboys is do you keep pouring more and more resources not only into Dak himself, but also the talent he needs to be surrounded by to have any chance at success (and the more you devote to the former, the less you have available for the latter).

This is all academic, because they're not going to draft a QB this year, especially after overpaying when they traded for Lance. So not to worry!