CFZ The better teams in the NFL are often drafting QBs

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I wonder how many QBs the Chiefs and Ravens drafted after hitting on Mahomes and Jackson. It seems a lot of those QBs picked in the lower rounds are slated to be backups and some workout beyond that (like Purdy) but it is not he norm.

Jimmy Johnson used the equivalent of two number one picks on QBs (Aikman and Walsh) and ended up getting a 1 and a 3 back for Walsh (I believe) but he wasn't settled on Aikman from the start.

MarkP88

Reaction score
The good teams are also not afraid to move on from a QB they've invested a lot of resources in when it becomes clear that they'll never be able to take the team where they want to go, or are no longer able to. Can you imagine Jerry cutting bait on a QB he'd drafted in the first round as fast as the Eagles or Niners did? Or drafting a first round QB while having a 33 year old who'd won a Super Bowl already on the roster, as the Ravens did?

There's just really no defense for their extreme reluctance/fear/whatever of drafting QBs.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Tom Brady was the worst thing to happen to the AFC East rivals of the Patriots but he also affected this team. Since then, Jerry has been trying to invest minimally at the position with the hopes of finding the next Brady

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The good teams are also not afraid to move on from a QB they've invested a lot of resources in
Myth. Totally made up.

How long was Phillip Rivers in SD? Matt Ryan in Atlanta? Ben Roeth in Pitt?

Teams don't move on from QBs who give them a chance to be good because there are so few of them and there is no solution for replacing them.

Save the stupid "Ben won a Super Bowl" argument. It's not relevant. He was there for another 12 years after his last win.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry used this upcoming draft's 4th round pick to trade for 3rd overall draft pick in Trey Lance. Jerry is obviously listening to y'all. What's all the complaining about?

:huh:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Myth. Totally made up.

How long was Phillip Rivers in SD? Matt Ryan in Atlanta? Ben Roeth in Pitt?

Teams don't move on from QBs who give them a chance to be good because there are so few of them and there is no solution for replacing them.

Save the stupid "Ben won a Super Bowl" argument. It's not relevant. He was there for another 12 years after his last win.
:hammer::clap:

Mikexike

Reaction score
Here’s a very revealing stat: Since 2000 - the last 24 drafts - the Cowboys have only drafted 6 QBs. Here’s the list:
  • 2001- Quincy Carter round 2
  • 2007- Isiah Stanback- round 4 (never took a snap as a QB because he was converted to WR)
  • 2009- Stephen McGee, round 4 (part of the worst draft in team history)
  • 2016- Dak Prescott, round 4
  • 2018- Mike White, round 6
  • 2020- Ben DiNucci- round 7
That’s it. Six QBs drafted in 24 drafts. We’ve drafted 2 QB in the last 8 drafts and that was 6th rounder Mike White and 7th rounder Ben DiNucci. That’s just crazy.

Looking at the teams in the 21st century with the most success, they draft QBs often. Even if they already have a HOF QB in place. Look at the number of QBs these teams have drafted since 2000:
  • Patriots: 13 (they drafted 12 after getting the GOAT Tom Brady!)
  • Niners: 11 (They drafted Brock Purdy the year after drafting Trey Lance in round 1)
  • Broncos: 11
  • Ravens: 10 (they drafted Lamar Jackson when they already had SB MVP Joe Flacco)
  • Eagles: 10
  • Packers: 8 (they drafted Aaron Rodgers with the 24th pick 3 yrs before Favre left and drafted Jordan Love with the 26th pick when they had Rodgers!)
  • Chiefs: 7 (they moved up in the draft to get Mahomes in 2017 when they already had Alex Smith who had just taken them to the playoffs)
Every single one of those teams have won multiple conference championships and either won or played in multiple SBs since 2000. The Cowboys have drafted 6 QBs in the same time frame and have zero conference championship appearances. That’s not a coincidence. For whatever reason, Jerry has acted like “we’re set at QB“ without any interest in finding a diamond in the rough as so many other teams have.

It’s pretty clear that the better teams the last two decades know how important it is to draft a QB. Even if you already have a QB you like. There’s a fundamental truth at play here: You can’t find a diamond in the rough at QB if you don’t even try.

Late edit: It’s six QBs drafted not five. Missed Mike White in 2018. Thanks
@TheMarathonContinues
The Jone boys don't like elite QB play, they are totally fine with mediocre.

SackMaster

Reaction score
So just to get this straight: We draft one #1 pick QB and go to three superbowls. Then for 30 years nothing and we aren't even getting close? I wonder what logic drives Jerry to feel good with what he's doing ever since the new millenium.

Either way, they did two things the Cowboys don't even have in their strategy book anymore.
I thought I made it clear, I am not disagreeing with the fact that the Cowboys have not used significant resources, specifically in the draft as mentioned by the OP, to improve the QB position.

Yet the OP also listed the Broncos that have drafted a lot of QBs and have been very successful because of it, when quite the opposite is true. They have SUCKED at drafting QBs.

The only amount of any success the Broncos have had in the 2000's is because totally different team drafted a QB to replace their aging HOF QB, and then was subsequently released.

I'm just not a fan of using bad data to defend or prove a point. And in this case, using Denver to prove drafting QBs = success is flat out false.

Again, for the FOURTH TIME, I don't disagree with the OP's premise.

But lets also acknowledge that Denver drafting a bunch of QB NEVER lead to any of their success in the 2000's (so far), which the OP tried to imply.

If that screams to you "sAcKmAsTeR sUpPoRtS jErRy'S aPpRoAcH tO tHe Qb SiTuAtIoN", then that's a you problem since I said nothing of the sort.
:thumbup:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
To be fair, the Cowboys have certainly been one of the better teams in the overall drafting of talent the last two decades. But it makes the lack of even trying to draft a qb even more mystifying.
They think they did strike gold with Dak

Mobinvans

Reaction score
It reveals a fundamental flaw in our team’s drafting philosophy. Somehow our GM has believed a false narrative that if you think you are “set” at QB, there’s no need to draft another one. It’s fundamentally flawed thinking as evidenced by the teams that continue to fish for a good QB even if they already have a great one.
You’re right man

Tom Brady had QBs drafted while he was winning superbowl

SackMaster

Reaction score
Jerry used this upcoming draft's 4th round pick to trade for 3rd overall draft pick in Trey Lance. Jerry is obviously listening to y'all. What's all the complaining about?

:huh:
3rd Overall pick that SF gave up THREE 1st Round, and a 3rd Round, picks to move up and get Lance:
  • 2021 3rd Overall for the selection
  • 2021 12th Overall to move up (ended up being the Parsons pick for the Cowboys)
  • 2022 29th Overall to move up
  • 2022 102nd Overall to move up
  • 2023 29th Overall to move up
  • 2024 124th Overall in the Trade to Dallas
I mean ... that's a LOT of Draft capital for a single player:

Here's an article that discusses how much draft capitol was used for the Lance Draft pick.
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-draft-trey-lance-trade-picks/

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
3rd Overall pick that SF gave up THREE 1st Round, and a 3rd Round, picks to move up and get Lance:
  • 2021 12th Overall to move up (ended up being the Parsons pick for the Cowboys)

Here's an article that discusses how much draft capitol was used for the Lance Draft pick.

It's pretty wild that Lynch survived that big of a swing and a miss. It's a testament to just how strong of a roster they built outside of that.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Tom Brady was the worst thing to happen to the AFC East rivals of the Patriots but he also affected this team. Since then, Jerry has been trying to invest minimally at the position with the hopes of finding the next Brady
um..... jones has a lot of faults, to be sure. but invest minimally in qb? how much is dak making now and how much will he be making after his unfortunate extension he's about to get? i'd not call that minimal.

now does he bring in a lot of crap that never has a chance? yep. but all teams do that.

if you mean invest draft pics i more understand your point.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re right man

Tom Brady had QBs drafted while he was winning superbowl
A few of those guys the pats drafted after Brady either turned into good QBs with some trade value or were pretty good backups. Guys like Matt Cassel (who won 11 games as a starter for the pats the year Brady hurt his knee), Jacoby Brissett (who is still a backup in this league), and of course Jimmy Garropolo(NE got great trade value for him) helped the niners get to a SB.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Here’s a very revealing stat: Since 2000 - the last 24 drafts - the Cowboys have only drafted 6 QBs. Here’s the list:
  • 2001- Quincy Carter round 2
  • 2007- Isiah Stanback- round 4 (never took a snap as a QB because he was converted to WR)
  • 2009- Stephen McGee, round 4 (part of the worst draft in team history)
  • 2016- Dak Prescott, round 4
  • 2018- Mike White, round 6
  • 2020- Ben DiNucci- round 7
That’s it. Six QBs drafted in 24 drafts. We’ve drafted 2 QB in the last 8 drafts and that was 6th rounder Mike White and 7th rounder Ben DiNucci. That’s just crazy.

Looking at the teams in the 21st century with the most success, they draft QBs often. Even if they already have a HOF QB in place. Look at the number of QBs these teams have drafted since 2000:
  • Niners: 11 (They drafted Brock Purdy the year after drafting Trey Lance in round 1)
  • Ravens: 10 (they drafted Lamar Jackson when they already had SB MVP Joe Flacco)
  • Packers: 8 (they drafted Aaron Rodgers with the 24th pick 3 yrs before Favre left and drafted Jordan Love with the 26th pick when they had Rodgers!)
  • Chiefs: 7 (they moved up in the draft to get Mahomes in 2017 when they already had Alex Smith who had just taken them to the playoffs)
Every single one of those teams have won multiple conference championships and either won or played in multiple SBs since 2000. The Cowboys have drafted 6 QBs in the same time frame and have zero conference championship appearances. That’s not a coincidence. For whatever reason, Jerry has acted like “we’re set at QB“ without any interest in finding a diamond in the rough as so many other teams have.

It’s pretty clear that the better teams the last two decades know how important it is to draft a QB. Even if you already have a QB you like. There’s a fundamental truth at play here: You can’t find a diamond in the rough at QB if you don’t even try.

Late edit: It’s six QBs drafted not five. Missed Mike White in 2018. Thanks
@TheMarathonContinues
They've also "drafted" one in 2024, using their 4th round pick on Trey Lance. That's why I scoff at suggestions they'll take another this draft. They already did.

quickccc

Reaction score

Late edit: It’s six QBs drafted not five. Missed Mike White in 2018. Thanks @TheMarathonContinues

- Packers drafted a rookie Rodgers in 1st rd. when they knew they had an very aging Brett Favre
- and it did not help matters that Favre had the team on a " Yo-Yo," ... with " I want to still play or I might retire.
So of course GB decided to make the major decision for themselves.

- De ja vue with an aging, difficult Rodgers going Yo- Yo with the Packers team with .. " I'll still play,, retire or
trade me ,,, so yet again GB team was forced to make a big move decision with in with the new QB, out
with the aging' old one.

- And when the Ravens drafted Lamar Jackson in the 1st rd, ., the other Ravens QB was already on a major quickly declining downside, thus the need to replace him,

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

But the Dak haters want ANOTHER QB drafted as well. To hell with so many other positions of need.

:facepalm: