CFZ The big gamble this organization continues to make

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately our fanbase has allowed it to continue with our addiction along with those continuing to buy into the hype.

Such a shame we never forced the issue. And to his credit he’s made the most of it. He’s living the dream all on our agony.
There are possible methods in which the fanbase could help get the point across to Jones he should hire another GM and get out of the way. From past mutual discussions, I think we both agree in disagreeing what are the realistic strategies for coercing him into doing what he does not wish to do.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In an interview with Jethro by Dale Hansen years ago the question was pursued “ was he doing everything within his power to win”which Dale called out by not willing to hire a GM.

Jethro replied if you can guarantee he’d win a SB, he’d step aside. But added you can’t.

Fans have been debating this for decades but the evidence couldn’t be clearer beginning with split up with Jimmy as winning championships wasn’t enough unless he received his share of credit and celebrity status.

It’s never going to be enough winning championships unless he’s the man. Jimmy became the man and he had to go.
Bold> :hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bold> I almost completely agree but would interject Jones' super-wealth has grown steadily through the years. What he is worth now is markedly more than what he used to be worth.

There was a slow decline from Super Bowl XXX to the end of the Campo 5-11 regular season trifecta. Jones' GM job performance mandated a change in position. He refused. He was rich then too but far less than he is now.

Jones' inflexibility is the hallmark of a narcissist. It has always been in him to prove to the world just how irreplaceable he is in managing his franchise to Super Bowls championships. In short, he has and will continue doing so or die trying.
Yep

And all of the revolutionary revenue streams he spearheaded during that time after SB 30 which earned him HOF induction for those contributions along with lawsuit for stadium rights which culminated in new stadium permeated that revenue streams would be secured regardless results on the field.

His master and brilliant plan was to secure revenue so his narcissistic ways and egotistical ambitions to be a football celebrity wouldn’t impact financially enough to force him to change or remove himself.

Tex told him that consistent success on the field drove the revenue and popularity . To Jethro’s credit he took maintaining success on the field out of the equation. Instead remaining relevant is enough to hype . Tex , a master promoter himself , might have done the same thing if he thought was possible.

Last edited:

Gambit

Reaction score
The last time a superbowl winner had a running game that you went into the matchup strategically worried about was over a decade ago.

The data is overwhelming and irrefutable at this point: Rushing success has almost no correlation with team across across time and hasn’t in nearly 20 years.
I'm not sure I'd fully agree with this.

But, I'd say measuring run game success is vastly different than just Yards per attempt or carries.

Can the run game be counted on to pick up short yardage 3rd downs and goal line situations would be a better place to start looking at success.

Gambit

Reaction score
I also think free agency is made for DT. Why wait 3 years for a DT to reach his potential when you can sign one in free agency after some other team developed him? Rookies can contribute at most positions but DT is one that takes time.
This is something I agree with. Problem is with Dallas, they don't want to pay IDL.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know most teams in today’s cap era NFL that build serious contenders for playoff success use a three pronged approach to improving their rosters from year to year. It requires several key components:
  • Savvy scouting, drafting and developing young players to become your primary pipeline of talent.
  • A few key free agent or trade acquisitions that provide an immediate upgrade at certain positions. (Sometimes you can’t wait for all the young talent you drafted to develop. Otherwise you lose whole seasons)
  • Free agent moves are only a serious option when your front office has meticulously managed the salary cap so you have the flexibility to make the FA moves you need after you have signed some of your cornerstone pieces.
Our front office gets at least 1/3 of the above parts done pretty well. The Cowboys are in the top third of the league when it comes to drafting talent to build around. Unfortunately when it comes to the free agency and cap management parts of team building, our FO is ham fisted.

So in essence, our FO chooses to place all its chips on one of the three parts of team building: The draft and development piece. It’s good that we are fairly good at that. But it’s not enough if you’re serious about competing for a championship NOW. To put it even simpler, our front office gambles every year on the hope that our drafts and development of players will be enough to beat all the good teams using free agency and trades too.

Not surprisingly it’s a gamble only those executives with lifetime contracts regardless of results can afford to make. And it’s a gamble they created because they are so poor at managing the cap, making acquisitions of some key free agents not a realistic option.

So as we go into 2024, our FO has placed all their chips on guys we HOPE will develop - Sam Williams, Jalen Tolbert, Damone Clark, Mazi Smith, Luke Schoonmaker, DeMarvion Overshown, Tyler Guyton, Marshawn Kneeland, and Cooper Bebee, and some other youngsters.

Don‘t get me wrong, I like those players. I believe in drafting and developing players. But that’s a big gamble that all those guys are going to be able to carry a ton of responsibility this upcoming season if we expect to be another playoff contender in 2024.

It’s a gamble. But it won’t matter if it doesn’t work because the only people held accountable for the results didn't make those decisions.
So, what your point? Complain and then say, don't get me wrong? Seriously, what is your point, in a nut shell and not a dissertation.

Redline360

Reaction score
I agree except for one statement- “Jimmy got the whole America’s team rolling.”

Actually the 70s Cowboys, who won 14 playoff games in a decade was what actually started the whole”America’s Team” thing. I believe it officially started in 1977 or ‘78 with former GM Tex Schramm using it in the team’s official video. Jimmy certainly rekindled the America’s Team thing but it was started years before Jerry ever bought the team.
Fair enough

Chasing6

Reaction score
We all know most teams in today’s cap era NFL that build serious contenders for playoff success use a three pronged approach to improving their rosters from year to year. It requires several key components:
  • Savvy scouting, drafting and developing young players to become your primary pipeline of talent.
  • A few key free agent or trade acquisitions that provide an immediate upgrade at certain positions. (Sometimes you can’t wait for all the young talent you drafted to develop. Otherwise you lose whole seasons)
  • Free agent moves are only a serious option when your front office has meticulously managed the salary cap so you have the flexibility to make the FA moves you need after you have signed some of your cornerstone pieces.
Our front office gets at least 1/3 of the above parts done pretty well. The Cowboys are in the top third of the league when it comes to drafting talent to build around. Unfortunately when it comes to the free agency and cap management parts of team building, our FO is ham fisted.

So in essence, our FO chooses to place all its chips on one of the three parts of team building: The draft and development piece. It’s good that we are fairly good at that. But it’s not enough if you’re serious about competing for a championship NOW. To put it even simpler, our front office gambles every year on the hope that our drafts and development of players will be enough to beat all the good teams using free agency and trades too.

Not surprisingly it’s a gamble only those executives with lifetime contracts regardless of results can afford to make. And it’s a gamble they created because they are so poor at managing the cap, making acquisitions of some key free agents not a realistic option.

So as we go into 2024, our FO has placed all their chips on guys we HOPE will develop - Sam Williams, Jalen Tolbert, Damone Clark, Mazi Smith, Luke Schoonmaker, DeMarvion Overshown, Tyler Guyton, Marshawn Kneeland, and Cooper Bebee, and some other youngsters.

Don‘t get me wrong, I like those players. I believe in drafting and developing players. But that’s a big gamble that all those guys are going to be able to carry a ton of responsibility this upcoming season if we expect to be another playoff contender in 2024.

It’s a gamble. But it won’t matter if it doesn’t work because the only people held accountable for the results didn't make those decisions.
You left out GM Jethro's comp picks.

MikeT22

Reaction score
The last time a superbowl winner had a running game that you went into the matchup strategically worried about was over a decade ago.

The data is overwhelming and irrefutable at this point: Rushing success has almost no correlation with team across across time and hasn’t in nearly 20 years.
Yet our main problem on defense is we can’t stop the run. But we don’t need a strong run game to do the same to other teams. Makes sense.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, what your point? Complain and then say, don't get me wrong? Seriously, what is your point, in a nut shell and not a dissertation.
My point, if you chose not to read the OP is really simple. Here it is:
  1. It takes a three pronged approach to build a championship roster that wins playoff games- (1) Draft and develop talent (which I made clear in the OP we are good at) (2) Add a few impactful FAs or trades ready to fill a roster hole NOW and (3) Manage the cap well enough to give you flexibility to do the FA thing.
  2. This FO has gambled for years by putting all their chips on draft and develop because their management of the cap has been bad enough they don’t have much flexibility. It’s a risk. (I do give them credit for the Cooks and Gilmore trades last year, but it’s a rare thing)
So there’s my reader’s digest version. You are welcome to disagree.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Gonna have to disagree withcha Two on this and here’s why- Multiple SB winners and conference champions the last decade had good to great running games. Some evidence:
  • These SB champs the last decade had excellent running games:
    • 2013 Seahawks were 3rd in rushing the season they won the SB. They were #1 in rushing 2014 but lost to NE when Wilson threw that pic at the one .
      2017 e-girls finished 3rd in rushing yds per game in 2017.
    • 2018 pats finished 5th in yards rushing per game in 2018.
  • Multiple conference champions or teams in the championship recently had great running games.
    • Last NFC champ SF had the 3rd best running game in the league. When they made the SB in 2019 they had the #2 rushing offense in the league.
    • Last year Balt and Det were in the conference championship with the #1 and #6 rushing offenses.
    • In 2022 NFC champion eagles were 4th in the league in rushing.
Bottom line : It appears to me unless you had Brady or Mahomes or Joe Burrow you needed a good running game to make it to a conference championship and it certainly helped several times in winning SBs or even getting to one the last decade.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
i didn't read it but is this another, "I hate Jerry threads"? dang, not another I hate Jerry thread? get you some gear too.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
So you’re saying you disagree with something you haven’t read….ok.
It's probably just another I hate Jerry thread. Why can't we get an I hate Jerry forum? You guys could jazz it up and make it fun too.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point, if you chose not to read the OP is really simple. Here it is:
  1. It takes a three pronged approach to build a championship roster that wins playoff games- (1) Draft and develop talent (which I made clear in the OP we are good at) (2) Add a few impactful FAs or trades ready to fill a roster hole NOW and (3) Manage the cap well enough to give you flexibility to do the FA thing.
  2. This FO has gambled for years by putting all their chips on draft and develop because their management of the cap has been bad enough they don’t have much flexibility. It’s a risk. (I do give them credit for the Cooks and Gilmore trades last year, but it’s a rare thing)
So there’s my reader’s digest version. You are welcome to disagree.
Don't disagree....just a lot to read....lol

TWOK11

Reaction score
There are only 4 other teams besides the Cowboys who have yet to appear in a conference title game THIS CENTURY.

You can conjure up whatever excuses and cope, but Dallas has been bottom five worst playoff teams in the 21st century.

It has not worked at all.
Read the rest of the post

TWOK11

Reaction score
The data nerd in me wants to agree, but I simply don't believe this to be true. There was a time in my life when I did, but I'm more and more convinced that if you build a team to make the playoffs consistently that's what you'll get but the odds are against you making a deeper run. The Cowboys for years now have build up really good teams with fatal flaws that get exposed by better teams in the league, which is what you see come playoff time. This teams issues go beyond bad luck as Jerry refuses to address an issue until it bites him in the butt.

The real issue is the 10th best team in the league will make the playoffs every time, but that team is one of the worst in their conference once the playoffs start.
But the thing is, Dallas has been a top-5 team in the league multiple times just in the last 15 years. We were the second best team in 2007, top-5 in 2009, 2014, 2016 and 2022-2023.

Again, eventually a reversion to the mean will occur. Teams that win that many games that often will eventually win in the playoffs.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
You have a part time GM who still thinks the league works like it did in 2005.

That is, has been, and always will be the biggest issue.

When your "GM" literally takes a vacation during the first week of FA every year, you're not going to be able to keep up with teams who work their rosters year 'round. But hey, if first round exits and relevancy are your goal, congrats.