The Blame Thread

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Dallas faced the NFL regular season's 5th ranked passing and 3rd ranked rushing attack, and 2nd overall total offense. The last thing our offense should have done after scoring the go ahead touchdown to keep the game manageable was:

Run 4 plays. Punt.
Run 3 plays. Punt.
Run 9 plays. Punt.
Run 3 plays. Punt.

--before finally putting points on the board. The 2019 offense must be better and not depend so much on the defense.

The 2019 offense WILL be better. We're starting with a real #1 WR AND a solid #2. With luck Fred Beard is back and 100% healthy. That alone should prevent the horrible 3-5 start. Then again I'm mostly optimistic as a person

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2019 offense WILL be better. We're starting with a real #1 WR AND a solid #2. With luck Fred Beard is back and 100% healthy. That alone should prevent the horrible 3-5 start. Then again I'm mostly optimistic as a person
Fredricks is a very good point. He can return and make the line adjustments Prescott does not catch and the coaches do not seem to follow up on in-game. However, the entire offensive line must perform better or it will not matter who is lined up wide. Games are won and lost in the trenches. Saturday's game was a perfect example from both sides of the ball.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Fredricks is a very good point. He can return and make the line adjustments Prescott does not catch and the coaches do not seem to follow up on in-game. However, the entire offensive line must perform better or it will not matter who is lined up wide. Games are won and lost in the trenches. Saturday's game was a perfect example from both sides of the ball.

Agree brother. I'm hopeful with the Richard influence the D will improve in 2019. Jaylon and LVE have big upside. Our young secondary grew a bit. Maybe we see the light and draft a run stuffing DT or 2. Gregory was solid. Tank was solid. Armstrong should improve. Maybe a new OC, I don't know if that will happen. This year leaves me with a far better taste than 2018. Dez is gone, replaced by Cooper. Gallup is a solid #2 WR. Hope for Freddy to return. C Williams gets an off season of strength and conditioning. Far more reasons to be positive than negative

cml750

Reaction score
Harry Truman said "The Buck Stops here"

You blame up. Garrett. Yeah, people under him failed too.

But, buck stops here.

Garrett.
Unfortunately the buck NEVER stops at Garrett and he never admits any blame even though he is the root cause to most issues.

fansince68

Reaction score
Dak killing some drives personally with 3 and outs without a single first down in those drives tired out the defense quick. I'm not excusing their lame play, but Dak played a huge part in the loss because of that. He needs to be able to be good in all 4 quarters more often.
Our strategy of "run Zeke up the middle on 1st down" frequently puts us in 2nd and 8,9,10. Which frequently puts you in 2nd and 3rd and long. We WASTE too many 1st downs with lazy and predictable play calling.

pacboyX

Reaction score
Jeff Heath has major fault..or maybe coaching for not replacing him

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
Dude, I normally support Dak, but that was horrible play by him and you're a blind homer if you defend that kind of play. The playcalling sucked, but receivers were wide open when Dak missed the throws. That's not a bad play call. That's bad play. Most of the game was played poorly by the whole team though.
Hilarious that Dak is still the responsible one even with a glaring defensive miscue. Absolutely hilarious

kskboys

Reaction score
Are we ever gonna get a great passing offense like we did during the Romo years?

Or at least better then Ranked #23 out of 32?

Ya think there’s no room to improve? Is that acceptable given the long history of elite passing quarterbacks we’ve had in the past?

Yeah, let’s extend Dak’s contract, no need to sign a Baller like Foles
After going up 14-0, Foles' O had 5 punts and 2 picks. If anything, Dak was better than Foles this weekend.

Gator88

Reaction score
Just curious where you lay the coaching blame Gator? Mari? Richard? Linnehan? JG? IMO, our D-line got man-handled. That's not coaching, that's mano e mano. LVE got washed out of more than my jeans too. In past games the LB'ers were there to clean up after the D-line. Not in this one. Maybe we blame Ben Bloom lol. We won't blame Richard because he's the golden child. Mari sucks!
I think the head coach didn't have them prepared to play and the defensive coaches including Richard got outschemed. LVE was the most clear example to me, but it looked like the defensive players were confused by the plays all game. I actually thought the play calling was better than normal on offense other than the 4th and 1 where they had all 11 players grouped inside and the run predictably failed.

Reaction score
I think the head coach didn't have them prepared to play and the defensive coaches including Richard got outschemed. LVE was the most clear example to me, but it looked like the defensive players were confused by the plays all game. I actually thought the play calling was better than normal on offense other than the 4th and 1 where they had all 11 players grouped inside and the run predictably failed.

Yep it was mainly Execution that lost the game. Our Defense was so confused and lost with their offensive scheme. Zero pressures on Goff and you can't say the D Coordinator wasn't trying. I saw linebacker blitzes and safety blitzes to try to get to Goff, but we couldn't. We got outplayed on the field not in the booth. The offense was the Exact same thing, 3 and out missing open receivers, poor blocking and some bad penalties. I didn't see anything wrong with that gameplan when you can't execute simple plays.

nobody

Reaction score
Hilarious that Dak is still the responsible one even with a glaring defensive miscue. Absolutely hilarious

I'm pretty sure I said the whole team played badly. In fact, I know I said it. I've said multiple times in multiple places that the defense played awful. That doesn't excuse bad QB play though. I get it if you think it does...apparently you believe that there can only be one culprit, whereas I like to blame everyone responsible for the loss. Coaching, the defense, the offense, etc.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Our d-line was outplayed and out muscled. That had very little to do with the scheme and much more to do with execution. They didn't play square at the line and their shoulders were turned to the sideline. On top of that Lawrence was chipped by WR's, good scheme by the Rams. Lawrence never knew where the help was coming from. LVE got washed out of too many plays. Our D line was outplayed and outexecuted by their O-line. We need to look no further than that

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Yep it was mainly Execution that lost the game. Our Defense was so confused and lost with their offensive scheme. Zero pressures on Goff and you can't say the D Coordinator wasn't trying. I saw linebacker blitzes and safety blitzes to try to get to Goff, but we couldn't. We got outplayed on the field not in the booth. The offense was the Exact same thing, 3 and out missing open receivers, poor blocking and some bad penalties. I didn't see anything wrong with that gameplan when you can't execute simple plays.
:hammer:

Cmac

Reaction score
Dak is a game manager right now.....he needs some better coaching. Teams take away Zeke to put all on Dak….inconsistent or slinging late when defenses keeps WRs in front of em.