The botched coin toss thread

HungryLion

Reaction score
There also is no rule stating non-reviewed ref decisions can be reviewed and reversed. As I previously stated, technically it should not have been allowed to be changed.

Wrong. By rule the officials can use replay review for issues of game management.

But hey, keep stating things as fact, despite them being completely false.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So since there’ll be like 8 of these same threads on this topic before they get merged, let me post what of course no one else is going to: the actual rule in place

ARTICLE 2. TOSS OF COIN. Not more than three minutes before the kickoff of the first half, the Referee, in the presence of both team’s captains (limit of six per team, active, inactive or honorary) shall toss a coin at the center of the field. Prior to the Referee’s toss, the call of “heads” or “tails” must be made by the captain of the visiting team, or by the captain designated by the Referee if there is no home team. Unless the winner of the toss defers his choice to the second half, he must choose one of two privileges, and the loser is given the other. The two privileges are:

(a) The opportunity to receive the kickoff, or to kick off; or
(b) The choice of goal his team will defend.

If the coin does not turn over in the air or the toss is compromised in any way, the Referee shall toss it again. The captain’s original call may not be changed.

Penalty: For failure to comply: Loss of coin-toss option for both halves and overtime, and loss of 15 yards from the spot of the kickoff for the first half only.

For the second half, the captain who lost the pregame toss is to have the first choice of the two privileges listed in (a) or (b), unless one of the teams lost its first and second half options, or unless the winner of the pregame toss deferred his choice to the second half, in which case he must choose (a) or (b) above. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the Referee of their respective choices. A captain’s first choice from any alternative privileges listed above is final and not subject to change.

So the actual exchange between Dak and the referee was:

Dak: “Go defense, defense. We want to kick it. Kicking it that way.”
Referee: “You want to kick?”
Dak: “We defer to the second half, yes.”
Referee: “Okay, you’re going to kick?”
Dak: “Yeah.”

Looking at the rule, when Dak said, “Kick it,” that should have done it because it’s one of the choices in (a) when you win the toss. To be fair to the ref though, Dak did give him 2 different choices. "Kicking it" and "deferring to the second half" are separate things. By the rule, you only defer your choice to the second half, not getting the ball.

Gee why don't you bring up something from say 1968 while your at it. To bring up a coin toss of a game already decided and will not change a thing is moronic at best. I'll bet you think there was a 2nd gunman in the grassy knoll too.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yea but I am willing to bet when we move passed statutory law and start looking at the case law we will find that most cases see it being ruled this way.

Edit: sorry that law school ruined me lol

And what does any law have ti do with an NFL RULE? Go watch some more Perry Mason.