The botched coin toss thread

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yes, Einstein, the Butler penalty was just something I made up today. You got me.

I would take you seriously if anyone here had agreed with your posts since Dak Prescott joined the team.

You see, unlike you, I don't need affirmation from others agreeing with me to know if what I say is on target or not. It either is or isn't and I can admit when I'm off track. Your statement is your pesky inferiority complex talking because you need to be boosted and magically think everyone needs that. It's also why you melt down, guns blazing when others disagree with you on here, which is well-documented. I'm not the only one who sees this self-worth issue of yours. But this is also why you follow me around trying to get a score just once to heal your wounds that I keep linking to showing you as a liar because you lack the ability to go toe-to-toe or man up when wrong (The Giants are a much-improved team? Really? Lol).

Kaiser

Reaction score
You see, unlike you, I don't need affirmation from others agreeing with me to know if what I say is on target or not.

Kaiser: You never talk about the game and everyone thinks you are an idiot.

Marcus: See, unlike you I don't need validation from other people.

Kaiser: That goes hand in hand with everyone thinking you are an idiot

Marcus: Haha, I made you talk to me!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This will be fixed soon. It is simple, nobody is going to want to kick off in both halves. So it is simple.... if the team says we are kicking off in the first half, than that automatically means you WILL get the ball to start the 2nd half..... period.

This is not some legal document, this is not a law school class where the words you se makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. This is FOOTBALL. I can not believe that we are needing to parse the words of the captain in regards to the opening kick off.

It is clear that if a team says they want the ball to start the game, they know they are kicking off to start the 2nd half.

If a team says they want to kick off to start the game, it means they want the ball to start the 32nd half. Thats it... done, simple.

nobody

Reaction score
He did change it to "defer", after the official asked twice.

The stated rule does state "The captain’s original call may not be changed."
Yes Cowboys would have won but there was still a sliver of a chance of a possible comeback. That ended when NY change the call without informing the Rams for two quarters and a half. Dak made a mistake, shouldn't have gotten bail out.

No, the Rams defense just had to make stops and it didn't. That wasn't on the officials. That was on the play of the Rams. Sorry, but the way football is played, one team gets it at the start, the OTHER team gets it at the start of the 3rd. Yes, Dak screwed up with his initial comment, but he did correct himself. The League let him. If McVay's whole game plan revolved around one player's mistaken words, there's a problem.

I bet the NFL fixes the wording of that rule this off-season...cause it's a stupid rule.

TheHerd

Reaction score
It was botched by the ST coach. This is just one more example of O’Quinn’s inattention to detail and not having his players properly prepared/educated. The coin toss is about as elementary a situation as any in the league, and he can’t even properly prepare his players for it. If by some chance the Cowboys get to the playoffs, I can almost guarantee O’Quinn will have a hand in at least one major gaffe in that game. It is beyond me how this guy has any job in the NFL, much less a job as a ST coordinator.
Absolutely. This guy should have been fired many times this year, but after the Pats game that should have been the final straw. We are the worst special teams team I've ever seen in the NFL.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Why would the word "kick" even come out of your mouth, though?

If you want to defer, that should be basically the only word you say when the ref asks what your choice is.
Because the special teams coach didn't prep him properly, and I say that's on him because we almost NEVER defer so it's not the norm. Coaches need to be sure about these things as the players have lots of other stuff on their minds right before a game.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And the NFL determined that his original call was to defer even if he didn't say it the right way originally. The ref asked for clarification to make sure he understood, and Dak gave that clarification. The ref shouldn't have asked for the clarification if he didn't want it. The idea is for the refs to get the ruling right as the player making the call intended, not punish him for being a tick slow in using the magic word.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Kaiser: You never talk about the game and everyone thinks you are an idiot.

Marcus: See, unlike you I don't need validation from other people.

Kaiser: That goes hand in hand with everyone thinking you are an idiot

Marcus: Haha, I made you talk to me!

See, I was right. Having someone think you're an idiot is YOUR anxiety so you project it onto me here as if it's also mine. No wonder you melt down when you're shown to be wrong. In your first meltdown towards me, you were consumed with me supposedly trying to make myself look so smart when it was probably just you feeling dumb at being caught in a lie (LINK) and then being defensive to deflect from it. So of course your being a Fan Boi makes sense.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

"Original call" in this case is the "heads" or "tails" call.

I agree that I think they'll change this rule a little. In fact, calling heads or tails used to be done while the coin was in the air but an official once misheard a call and the other team won the toss so they changed the rule after that.

Edit: looked it up and it was a Pittsburgh-Detroit game where Jerome Bettis actually started to say heads, then said tails with the coin in the air and the official made him take heads

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

No, the Rams defense just had to make stops and it didn't. That wasn't on the officials. That was on the play of the Rams. Sorry, but the way football is played, one team gets it at the start, the OTHER team gets it at the start of the 3rd. Yes, Dak screwed up with his initial comment, but he did correct himself. The League let him. If McVay's whole game plan revolved around one player's mistaken words, there's a problem.

I bet the NFL fixes the wording of that rule this off-season...cause it's a stupid rule.
He didn't change it. He clarified it....and I think the rule was referring to the coin flip anyway.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The League's explanation.

Honestly, for one who administers the rules, I'd think you wouldn't paraphrase rules you're talking about just so there's no doubt about the rule in question and how it's being applied.

Maybe he felt the way the rule is worded, it would have been more confusing to state it verbatim, but he probably should have, and then explained what it meant.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
See, I was right. Having someone think you're an idiot is YOUR anxiety so you project it onto me here as if it's also mine. No wonder you melt down when you're shown to be wrong. In your first meltdown towards me, you were consumed with me supposedly trying to make myself look so smart when it was probably just you feeling dumb at being caught in a lie (LINK) and then being defensive to deflect from it. So of course your being a Fan Boi makes sense.
Wow, some issues on display here.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok so if you win the opening coin toss and say your gonna kick, then the opposing team automatically has the choice to kick or receive in the 2nd half? But if you win the opening toss and say your gonna defer, then the opposing team has no choice but to kickoff in the 2nd half?

Clear as mud..........
I believe they're deferring to choose until the second half, giving the other team the right to choose in the first half, in which case they naturally opt to receive. But yeah, they need to make it easier to understand.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Absolutely. This guy should have been fired many times this year, but after the Pats game that should have been the final straw. We are the worst special teams team I've ever seen in the NFL.
The worst, and it’s not even close.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Because the special teams coach didn't prep him properly, and I say that's on him because we almost NEVER defer so it's not the norm. Coaches need to be sure about these things as the players have lots of other stuff on their minds right before a game.

Agree. Coaching is mostly judged by results, fans who want to second guess a play call or blitz have a tiny fraction of the information needed to really critique a call.

But Special Teams this year has been abysmal from start to finish, I honestly can't remember a time when a coach did such a horrible job for the entire season.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Technically by rule it shouldn’t have been changed at halftime, but it was the right thing to do

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Technically by rule it shouldn’t have been changed at halftime, but it was the right thing to do

There is no rule saying "what you first said counts, regardless of efforts to clarify."

This issue will see Walt Anderson fired at season's end. His dumb interpretation embarrassed the league