The Case Against Extending Elliott

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The case for seems to revolve around two points.

1) He's a top 3 RB.

Can't argue that point and he'd probably be #1 if he scored more TD's on a team ranked 22nd in scoring in the NFL and 14th in the NFC. You read that right, 14th in the NFC behind the NYG and PHL. The only two NFC teams to score less were WAS and AZ.

The point I will argue is the necessity of a top 3 RB on any team.

2) The Cowboys run the offense through him and the QB is not as good without him in the game.

Can't argue that point either but is there a good reason to continue doing that with the price of the player? Is that what this offense is going to be dependent on for the QB? If so, take a look at that scoring ranking in the NFC again. A full 10 ppg behind the NFCCG participants. The QB needs THIS RB to average 21 ppg?

Maybe we're looking at this problem from the wrong angle? This QB needs a run game, or at least has up until now, but the only reason he needs this RB is that he's the only RB1 he's had. Do we assume there aren't other RB's that can help the QB? Cheaper RB's? Maybe playing in college this season?

The real case for not having a top 5 paid RB is that if this offense continues to run the offense through him, it's not going anywhere. That's the offense of yesteryear and if you think they promoted an ex QB to OC to run the ball, think that one again. All of this sign Elliott is based on that #2 point. If you expect that to continue, then expect another OC next season.

The name of the game is scoring and he doesn't do that. Top 5 paid RB's don't rank 19th in rushing TD's. And top 5 paid RB's don't get 47 yards on 20 carries and 2 catches for 19 in the most important game of the season.

A good RB is a necessity, a top 5 paid one is a luxury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1) He's a top 3 RB.

Can't argue that point and he'd probably be #1 if he scored more TD's on a team ranked 22nd in scoring in the NFL and 14th in the NFC. You read that right, 14th in the NFC behind the NYG and PHL. The only two NFC teams to score less were WAS and AZ.

2) The Cowboys run the offense through him and the QB is not as good without him in the game.

Can't argue that point either but is there a good reason to continue doing that with the price of the player? Is that what this offense is going to be dependent on for the QB? If so, take a look at that scoring ranking in the NFC again. A full 10 ppg behind the NFCCG participants. The QB needs THIS RB to average 21 ppg?

Maybe we're looking at this problem from the wrong angle? This QB needs a run game, or at least has up until now, but the only reason he needs this RB is that he's the only RB1 he's had. Do we assume there aren't other RB's that can help the QB? Cheaper RB's? Maybe playing in college this season?

The real case for not having a top 5 paid RB is that if this offense continues to run the offense through him, it's not going anywhere. That's the offense of yesteryear and if you think they promoted an ex QB to OC to run the ball, think that one again. All of this sign Elliott is based on that #2 point. If you expect that to continue, then expect another OC next season.

The name of the game is scoring and he doesn't do that. Top 5 paid RB's don't rank 19th in rushing TD's. And top 5 paid RB's don't get 47 yards on 20 carries and 2 catches for 19 in the most important game of the season.

The fan/media focus should be on who would replace Zeke more than on other issues in this debate.

They probably don't have that player on the roster right now.

Pollard:
I'm a big fan of the pick as an offensive weapon with a versatile skill-set; however, I don't know if he projects to being a lead NFL RB.

Weber:
He was pick #218 in the draft. He appears to have some talent but it's not a lock that he'll even make the 53 man roster this season.

Zeke is under contract for 2 more seasons.
Actually holding out of regular season games is NOT likely to happen.
Le'Veon Bell lost 14.5M and didn't gain anything by skipping 2018.​

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

1) He's a top 3 RB.

Top 3 RB's can bring you boat load in a trade, which is better than paying the RB a boatload. Top RBs are replaced all the time without skipping a beat. Zeke is replaceable and he certainly is not so valuable to the team that he gets paid a boatload. Trade is the best course of action here.

ghst187

Reaction score
Top 3 RB's can bring you boat load in a trade, which is better than paying the RB a boat load. Top RB are replaced all the time without skipping a beat. Zeke is replaceable and he certainly is not so valuable to the team that he gets paid a boat load. Trade is the best course of action here.

Except that we cannot win without Zeke so there’s that.....
Zeke is the diff between 10-6 and 6-10

blueblood70

Reaction score

1) He's a top 3 RB.

Hes ranked 2nd in total TDs for RBs.. hes top 2 in total scrimmage yards and 1st in rushing..he cant be compared to everyone just his positions and he pretty much has top 2 numbers for ALL RBs

this offense doesnt score and had bad red zone offense he cant be held responsible for bad playcalling and not enough TDs the offense itself is not high scoring.. EMSmith used to get the ball inside the 3 all game and they would hand it off 3 times, the year he had 25 to lead the lague the offense would throw it inside the 5 hand it off until they ran it in.. this offense doesnt do this.. its why SL is gone and JG is next if KM doesnt fix this one thing, scoring especially redzone..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Top 3 RB's can bring you boat load in a trade, which is better than paying the RB a boatload. Top RBs are replaced all the time without skipping a beat. Zeke is replaceable and he certainly is not so valuable to the team that he gets paid a boatload. Trade is the best course of action here.
How many teams would line up to pay him? This is not just the Cowboys I don't should pay him, no one should. RB's are too plentiful in the draft and they never have to have one in a 2nd contract unless he's affordable.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

1) He's a top 3 RB.

Myth....3-5 last season until we got Dak a viable WR so Dak could do his job.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
How many teams would line up to pay him? This is not just the Cowboys I don't should pay him, no one should. RB's are too plentiful in the draft and they never have to have one in a 2nd contract unless he's affordable.
I agree with this, but the Cowboys are pot committed. They said that Zeke was getting a second contract the second they drafted him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I hope we find out if he holds out of training camp. I'm thinking lots of teams would be willing to pay a stupid amount.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree with this, but the Cowboys are pot committed. They said that Zeke was getting a second contract the second they drafted him.
Did they specify that second contract coming from them?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garrett scared this fan base after he got rid of Demarco.

So good luck convincing Cowboy fans that we don't need Zeke and with Garrett coaching the team they might be right. He needs talent everywhere.

If a team comes offering first rounders then I say goodbye to Zeke.

aria

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking, I tend to believe people are over valuing his trade worth a bit. I think the team would have to be very specific and I don’t think teams will ignore the O line he’s had along with the number of carries, money he may want and off the field baggage.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

1) He's a top 3 RB.

He doesn't score enough touchdowns is a lame argument. Any RB that is playing with a QB who is a red zone rushing threat is going to lose a considerable number of opportunities to score touchdowns.

And I'm sorry, when you lead the league in yards per game and drop 2,000 total yards in a season, you are in elite company.

Also, go back and watch the Rams game again. Most backs would have had negative yardage on those 20 carries. They were simply destroying our OL.

ghst187

Reaction score
Did you not here me say "trade"? We won 5 SBs without Zeke and we can win without him in the future too. We'll have another workhorse RB if Zeke is traded.

We had a guy named Emmitt for three of those, a HOF RB. We have been trying to rebuild that 90s team since JG took over. We can’t win with an average back. Neither JG nor Dak are good enough to do that.
And say you get a bevy of picks in a trade, what positions you drafting? Pass Rusher? We just paid a great one. OL? We have three all pros. WR? We are stocked there. LB, we have 3 pro bowlers.
CB? We’re pretty good there. S? We like our guys apparently. QB? We are going all in on Dak.
And outside QB, what position alters a game and touches the ball as much as Zeke?
This team is loaded, JG is the Achilles heel.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking, I tend to believe people are over valuing his trade worth a bit. I think the team would have to be very specific and I don’t think teams will ignore the O line he’s had along with the number of carries, money he may want and off the field baggage.

Plus the league is anti-trade with Dallas.

We might get a 3rd for Zeke because the NFL refuses to let Jerry get a decent trade deal in our favor.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

1) He's a top 3 RB.

There is no case. Extend him now for 3 years with a 4th year option. He’s good for at least that long. It’s freaking amazing to me how some fans want to get rid of the best RB in the last 10 years if not longer. And don’t tell me let him play out his remaining 2 years. You think Zeke is going to let that happen? No.