The Case Against Extending Elliott

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I keep laughing at this boat load we would get in a trade for a RB (a position devalued by much of the league) who is one strike from a missed season and wants to be paid as the top RB in the league. I'd like to meet this fictional team that is going to give up the world because I have some land to sell them.

For the same reasons people want to trade him, other teams won't want to make that deal. I'm not saying he has no value, just not what you would expect for a fourth-year back who is a two-time rushing champ. He's worth way more to Dallas, even for 1 or 2 seasons, than he is for any other team at this point.

aria

Reaction score
Can’t wait to hear the excuses to sign Zeke when he doesn’t have the most yards from carrying the ball the most times since that’s the most common excuse I see.

pancakeman

Reaction score
He doesn't score enough touchdowns is a lame argument. Any RB that is playing with a QB who is a red zone rushing threat is going to lose a considerable number of opportunities to score touchdowns.

Exactly. And in fact the presence of Zeke surely enabled some of those QB TD rushes.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Teams win SB all the time without a workhorse RB. We can do it too, nut let's make this clear, that's not what I'm suggesting we do. We can get another guy if we trade Zeke. He's not that special.
Who are we going to get to replace Zeke?

ghst187

Reaction score
We can get another guy if we trade Zeke. He's not that special.

Not sure how you figure this. If he stays healthy and out of trouble he’s likely to end up in the hof.
He is that special. He’s the best back out of college since AP and his pro career has been just as impressive. He nearly bested Eric Dickerson’s record, something Barry, Emmitt, and AP couldn’t touch.
Great OL or not, someone not that special doesn’t do what Zeke has done and he’s just getting started.
He’s the best player on our team and the absolute last I’d trade, even for all of king midas’s Silver.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Garrett scared this fan base after he got rid of Demarco.

So good luck convincing Cowboy fans that we don't need Zeke and with Garrett coaching the team they might be right. He needs talent everywhere.

If a team comes offering first rounders then I say goodbye to Zeke.

I don't think Stephen is though and if Garrett isn't here next season, who's to say that the new HC would feel the same? This really comes down to two things IMO. 1) You pay Dak and he is the player that can win you games regardless of who the RB is or you pay Zeke instead and you go cheaper at QB and continue to run the Offense through Zeke. I don't think you can pay both guys top money deals. I do, however, think that you gotta pay Cooper thou.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
He doesn't score enough touchdowns is a lame argument. Any RB that is playing with a QB who is a red zone rushing threat is going to lose a considerable number of opportunities to score touchdowns.
Frederick. When we lost the smartest player on the team, we lost his line calls. They eventually had to do it from the sideline. That especially hurt us in the red zone.

cern

Reaction score
Trading a player in the nfl is like selling something you own to a pawn shop. You think it's worth x. They value it as y. Not likely we would get what Zeke is worth from another team.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You forgot to mention we have Darius Jackson waiting in the wings.
tenor.gif

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Who are we going to get to replace Zeke?
Like he's so irreplaceable. Stop it. It's stupid to pay a RB bank like that. The last team(Rams) that did it regret doing it and look how easily they replaced that guy in the playoffs to beat us.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not sure how you figure this. If he stays healthy and out of trouble he’s likely to end up in the hof.
He is that special. He’s the best back out of college since AP and his pro career has been just as impressive. He nearly bested Eric Dickerson’s record, something Barry, Emmitt, and AP couldn’t touch.
Great OL or not, someone not that special doesn’t do what Zeke has done and he’s just getting started.
He’s the best player on our team and the absolute last I’d trade, even for all of king midas’s Silver.
We can just agree to disagree. There's no arguing about this with someone that kisses Zeke's feet.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every team needs to be fortunate when it comes to injuries. Every team.
Some more than others and some plan for them better than others.

We've seen this team without it's QB1, RB1 and no WR1. I'd say this team is very vulnerable.

Altestic

Reaction score

We've seen this team without it's QB1, RB1 and no WR1. I'd say this team is very vulnerable.
Huh? Unless you're talking preseason... no we haven't. DP has played 48/48 possible games.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trading a player in the nfl is like selling something you own to a pawn shop. You think it's worth x. They value it as y. Not likely we would get what Zeke is worth from another team.
What exactly is his "worth"? That's the gist of this thread, how much is any back worth in today's game unless he's a dual threat back like Kamara.

If Payton didn't have Kamara, he might have a worth for Elliott. Because he would know how to use him better than anyone the Cowboys have had in that position.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? Unless you're talking preseason... no we haven't. DP has played 48/48 possible games.
Sorry, meant Romo.

The Garrett regime, any team more vulnerable to injury or a missing player than this one? QB, RB, TE, WR, LT, RG, DT, they've struggled anytime a starter goes down or out.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Like he's so irreplaceable. Stop it. It's stupid to pay a RB bank like that. The last team(Rams) that did it regret doing it and look how easily they replaced that guy in the playoffs to beat us.
So I’ll ask you the same question, who are you going to replace Zeke with?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Bull****. You think the Patriots win all those SB’s without Brady?

cern

Reaction score
What exactly is his "worth"? That's the gist of this thread, how much is any back worth in today's game unless he's a dual threat back like Kamara.

If Payton didn't have Kamara, he might have a worth for Elliott. Because he would know how to use him better than anyone the Cowboys have had in that position.
I think zeke's the most important cog in our offense. He's invaluable. Not sure how that equates to dollars and cents. I say sign him. Stephen will deal with it.