CFZ The case for a RB high in the draft

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have never accomplished much running the offense through the QB, they have run it through the RB throughout their history with HOF RB's.

In 2016 and 2014, they ran it through the RB and got homefield. Coincidentally, the RB's made All Pro both seasons.

There are two RB's worthy of 1st round picks and the Cowboys need to land one of them because that is the immediate impact player out of this draft.

This is not a future pick, it is a pick for now because the NFC is there for the taking but they need to have a run control the game offense.

And Pollard is not that RB. Robinson or Gibbs are better backs and that's the easiest transition position next to PK in the league.

I've wavered between OL and DL but can't see them taking a DT in the 1st anyway, just not sexy enough and I considered WR and TE but I have settled on one of these two RB's and run the offense through them. Can't give the QB any better help than that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Counterpoint.

That 2014 all pro and single season cowboys record holder was a 3rd round pick who was running behind an elite line.

Draft a guard. Make the OL dominant again and let pollard and a mid round pick carve up defenses behind them.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Ah yes, grab another RB that will burn out in 2 years and then overpay them because we want to recreate the 90s. Some of you would be just as bad as Jerry and Stephen.

A good O or D lineman is more valuable than a great RB in this league.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have never accomplished much running the offense through the QB, they have run it through the RB throughout their history with HOF RB's.

In 2016 and 2014, they ran it through the RB and got homefield. Coincidentally, the RB's made All Pro both seasons.

There are two RB's worthy of 1st round picks and the Cowboys need to land one of them because that is the immediate impact player out of this draft.

This is not a future pick, it is a pick for now because the NFC is there for the taking but they need to have a run control the game offense.

And Pollard is not that RB. Robinson or Gibbs are better backs and that's the easiest transition position next to PK in the league.

I've wavered between OL and DL but can't see them taking a DT in the 1st anyway, just not sexy enough and I considered WR and TE but I have settled on one of these two RB's and run the offense through them. Can't give the QB any better help than that.
I don't think that what would be available for Dallas would be a good fit for the Dallas defense at Defensive Tackle. That would leave Robinson or Gibbs as the most impactful pick for Dallas and with good salary and impact direction as well.

Jerry, pay and don't sit on it!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The teams that are run first aren’t winning championships these days. The teams with the top three rushers all missed the playoffs last season. You win with the passing game, you have to be able to score points. If Robinson is sitting there at 26 and Dalton Kincaid is off the board then we have to take Robinson. You can’t pass up a top five talent at number 26 especially when we have a need at RB.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/rushing.htm

The difference in production between great backs and good backs simply isn't as much of a gap where an RB in the first is a must need. Sorry, but that's what the league created - they've made QBs so important that RBs are dime a dozen.

Luckily Robinson won't be there and we can grab an RB in other rounds.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Drafting a RB at #26 is a far cry from doing it at #4. Most teams only have about 20 first round grades on their board. If one of them is there at 26, take him.

Also, by taking a late first round RB you have the 5th year option. It's great to have, unless you're dumb enough to cave to a holdout after year three. :facepalm:

But no matter where Dallas goes RB the OL needs help. The running game fizzled when Steele went out last season - look it up. Improve OL depth, please.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Counterpoint.

That 2014 all pro and single season cowboys record holder was a 3rd round pick who was running behind an elite line.

Draft a guard. Make the OL dominant again and let pollard and a mid round pick carve up defenses behind them.
Good point. And Murray was just as effective as Zeke was if not more.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
Unl
Ah yes, grab another RB that will burn out in 2 years and then overpay them because we want to recreate the 90s. Some of you would be just as bad as Jerry and Stephen.

Unless they get lucky with an Emmitt or AP or Gore or multitude of other back that are good for several, 7,8 years….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Im
Not for trading up for a back but it’s worth noting this guy wouldn’t be ran into the ground because Pollard is here. You can get a good 5 or 6 years out of a guy. I think we may have to be honest on Zeke. I’m not entirely sure he was ever as good as his 4th overall status warranted.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Drafting a RB at #26 is a far cry from doing it at #4. Most teams only have about 20 first round grades on their board. If one of them is there at 26, take him.

Also, by taking a late first round RB you have the 5th year option. It's great to have, unless you're dumb enough to cave to a holdout after year three. :facepalm:

But no matter where Dallas goes RB the OL needs help. The running game fizzled when Steele went out last season - look it up. Improve OL depth, please.
For as bad as
People say the Zeke deal was…they were able to get from under it rather quick….

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
For as bad as
People say the Zeke deal was…they were able to get from under it rather quick….
They made him the highest paid running back of all time - despite having contract control for 2 years when they did it - and have $12 million in dead cap 4 years later.

It was a bad contract - the Cowboys caved. Not sure why anyone feels the need to try to spin it otherwise.

CCBoy

Reaction score

With Terence Steele signing his contract...the offensive line can now look like: RT Tyron Smith 6-5 320 32 13; RG Zach Martin 6-4 315 32 10; C Tyler Biadasz 6-3 316 25 4; LG Terence Steele 6-6 310 25 4; LT Tyler Smith 6-6 332 22 2

Current depth includes: Josh Ball 6'8" 304 24 3 yr; Chuma Edoga 6'3" 308 25 5 yrs; Brock Hoffman 6'4" 302 23 1; Alex Taylor 6-8 301 25 2; Matt Waletzko 6-8 305 23 2.
This backup group is 25 or younger and will provide reasonable competition and a lot of experience at the tackle position.

All of this group of tackles are 6-5 or taller. The backup group has 3 who are 6-8.

The Cowboys need a strong developmental/starter within a year's time, for guard. That can be either a tackle or present guard.

This positional group is very strong as well as deep on the current roster.

I would first move mountains to get either Robinson or Gibbs...if not possible because of an earlier than projected run on the pair, then I would take the best projected offensive lineman and move about the first round to get a dominant lineman projecting strongly. First, a large tackle to start at guard and have flex and salary flow relevance as to management. Next season this will be a key element in progressing.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Just as a general comment, one of the bigger aspects of how you evaluate an RB should be how often he is used as a receiver. For most of his career, Zeke was pretty unused in that regard. OTOH, you have guys like McCaffrey or Barkley getting 60+ receptions. If I told you that Dallas drafted a 4.3WR that could also run the ball and get 15 touches per game consistently (Gibbs), a lot of people would be ecstatic.

The only position that touches the ball more than RB is the quarterback, even in a platoon situation. These guys have a huge impact.

I think a lot of people are salty about the Zeke experience where Dallas used a #4 pick on a guy who only was elite for a few years and ended up taking out a huge percentage of the cap. He is the extreme and no one is making that kind of mistake nowadays. I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on an RB like, ever again but using the Taco Charlton, er, I mean 26 pick on an elite RB isn't the end of the world.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just as a general comment, one of the bigger aspects of how you evaluate an RB should be how often he is used as a receiver. For most of his career, Zeke was pretty unused in that regard. OTOH, you have guys like McCaffrey or Barkley getting 60+ receptions. If I told you that Dallas drafted a 4.3WR that could also run the ball and get 15 touches per game consistently (Gibbs), a lot of people would be ecstatic.

The only position that touches the ball more than RB is the quarterback, even in a platoon situation. These guys have a huge impact.

I think a lot of people are salty about the Zeke experience where Dallas used a #4 pick on a guy who only was elite for a few years and ended up taking out a huge percentage of the cap. He is the extreme and no one is making that kind of mistake nowadays. I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on an RB like, ever again but using the Taco Charlton, er, I mean 26 pick on an elite RB isn't the end of the world.
If Atlanta takes Robinson early, or Philadelphia, Stephen better take some Advils or drink a shot of Don Padron and pay for a move up to about 14-15 and get Gibbs, the big play pair to put alongside Tony Pollard. He would be that much of a big play addition.

This one time that Jerry, the Gm, better prepare his staff and Stephen right now.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

CC, you're making too much sense.

You're absolutely right. If either Bijan Robinson or Jahmyr Gibbs is there when the Cowboys pick at #26, the Cowboys would be wise to pick one of them up.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's that simple. Draft someone who will be here twice as long as a RB.
I think that Cassius Clay was pretty well underrated - short termed or long termed as to big actions ability in sport...also. Just give me a huge difference maker now.