The case for going for Lawrence

Hadenough

Reaction score
Cowboys are too dam cheap to make a play to move up for Lawrence. They should be giving the Jets 3 first round picks to move up and have a franchise QB for the next 12 years. Instead I fully expect this team do something dumb like taking that OT Sewell. Yep they will spend another first round pick on the oline trying to turn a donkey of a QB into a thoroughbred race horse.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No, I’m saying we’d give our 1st round pick and Dak for Lawrence.

Basically we move up a spot or two giving up Dak.I’d consider throwing in Zeke or Cooper.

Here's something you obviously didn't think of. After the season ends and before the new league starts and free agency the Cowboys will try to sign Prescott to a long term deal. Now if it gets to be the day before the start of free agency they will no doubt offer the tag again to buy more time to work out a long term contract. Now here's what you probably didn't think of. Once that franchise tag is offered the Cowboys are protected from any team negotiating with Prescott and on the other hand until Prescott signs that tag offer he can not be traded. Now the draft could come before Prescott signs that offer or a tong term contract. Which brings up another point. I think if the Cowboys get Prescott signed to a long term contract there is less than a zero chance they would trade him away for anyone. Elliott would not work because of his contract and a continual decline in production from his rookie year. The Cowboys have one of the top WR corp in the league and have more sense than to break up their top strength of the team.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Cowboys are too dam cheap to make a play to move up for Lawrence. They should be giving the Jets 3 first round picks to move up and have a franchise QB for the next 12 years. Instead I fully expect this team do something dumb like taking that OT Sewell. Yep they will spend another first round pick on the oline trying to turn a donkey of a QB into a thoroughbred race horse.

Here's some thoughts for you. Hopefully you'll see how your ideas just aren't on the right side of reality. Every year the sporting world and fans talk about the free agents and low and behold going into this past free agency Prescott was the #1 free agent. Now do you really think they put a player, this case a QB, who is just average or as you say a donkey of a QB as the #1 free agent?

Next you're another one that because the draft gurus and sporting world have touted Lawrence that he has to be what they say. Now in past years those same draft gurus and sporting world have touted QB's that were picked #1, #2, #4, #5 and every other number in the first round that turned out to be busts. All of those QB's were really really good in college but were busts in the NFL. Please tell us who was the last QB that a team gave up THREE 1st round picks for? Good luck on that because real NFL GM's have more sense than to do that.

All I can say is right now I am thanking God that you have nothing to do with the Cowboys.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Dak lovers sure gives credit to a Dak for all the wins. They never want their boy to get credit for the loses though.
that wasn't the question......you created your own question and answered it..

some people avoid answering tough questions because obviously to answer it one way or the other, breaks the premise they have been arguing....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
well, aren't they going to have to pay out of their nose for a franchise QB after 4 or 5 years? would you be willing to pay 55-60M a year for a QB?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is a moot point, we are not going to pass the Jets for the number one overall pick and if he is indeed as good as you say he is, why would the Jets trade away from him and not take him for themselves?
Great question . And the only answer would be that they like Darnold who has 3 years left under his contract and feel they need so much more than Trevor. They must weigh in how much they could get for their pick which could turn their franchise around sooner.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a moot point, we are not going to pass the Jets for the number one overall pick and if he is indeed as good as you say he is, why would the Jets trade away from him and not take him for themselves?
What if he doesn't want to go to the Jets? Wouldn't be the first QB to dig his heels in. And if you've followed Lawrence, he's not above saying "no" to the Jets.

The other element to that is what team is best set up for a rookie QB to step in and perform. There is not a rookie QB that has played since 2016 that doesn't think of the difference and better opportunity Prescott had than QB's usually drafted high in the 1st.

As far as being as good as I say he is, that's all in college and on a very good team with great coaching and support for a QB. If I were the GM and had a top 5 pick, I would be considering Fields, Trask and Wilson just as much as Lawrence. Lawrence gets the most play because of the Manning comparisons that he's the best QB since he came out, totally ignoring Luck.

All of this comes down to whether the Joneses are really Dak smitten as they say they are and want to pony up 35-40M to keep him. I think their talk is premature because the draft positions are not set yet. They get in that top 3, they have to hit pause. And they could be totally sold on Dak and the team without him is all the proof they need to give him what he wants. There are fans here that feel that same way.

And I feel I need to post a disclaimer on every page that this is not about Dak but their ability to build a team around him. This is also not about getting another ring as I feel the odds of that are too high with this management.

Last edited:

DaveRowe

Reaction score

Actually, I think the Jones have a bad investment in Cowboy players. The Boys have the highest paid running back in the league and he isn't worth a diddle damn. Not only do they have what they invested in Dak but gave up two first round picks to get wide receivers for Dak to go down field to then we stick with 25 yard passes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well, aren't they going to have to pay out of their nose for a franchise QB after 4 or 5 years? would you be willing to pay 55-60M a year for a QB?
Most likely but it is these other underperforming contracts that are more of a problem than a QB contract.

As long as the cap keeps climbing, the QB's share will continue to grow disproportionately and we will see the type contract you're talking about. The only way that doesn't happen is if they decide to expand the rosters and spread the wealth more.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Most likely but it is these other underperforming contracts that are more of a problem than a QB contract.

As long as the cap keeps climbing, the QB's share will continue to grow disproportionately and we will see the type contract you're talking about. The only way that doesn't happen is if they decide to expand the rosters and spread the wealth more.
I agree on underperforming contracts specially on the defensive side of the ball. and given injuries to Smith and Collins, we are not getting our money's worth....I think generally we have not picked/signed anyone good on the defensive side. its not the money. its bad evaluations. bad fit. what ever you want to call it. we are not hitting anything on the defensive side of the ball

Hadenough

Reaction score
Good point! These QBs that are really good usually they do very well within their first 4 years. If Dallas drafts Lawrence and he struggles against good teams and hasn't won anything I would move on instead of paying him too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here's some thoughts for you. Hopefully you'll see how your ideas just aren't on the right side of reality. Every year the sporting world and fans talk about the free agents and low and behold going into this past free agency Prescott was the #1 free agent. Now do you really think they put a player, this case a QB, who is just average or as you say a donkey of a QB as the #1 free agent?

Next you're another one that because the draft gurus and sporting world have touted Lawrence that he has to be what they say. Now in past years those same draft gurus and sporting world have touted QB's that were picked #1, #2, #4, #5 and every other number in the first round that turned out to be busts. All of those QB's were really really good in college but were busts in the NFL.

Please tell us who was the last QB that a team gave up THREE 1st round picks for? Good luck on that because real NFL GM's have more sense than to do that.

All I can say is right now I am thanking God that you have nothing to do with the Cowboys.
For the record last time a team gave up three 1st round picks for a QB was in 2012.

Commanders gave up three #1’s and a #2 to the Rams for RG3 which initially looked good when he won Rookie of the season leading Washington to the NFC East crown.

But injuries in subsequent seasons ruined the deal. Griffen ended up a backup the rest of his career after he lost his legs. Washington hasn’t recovered since.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys not looking to take a QB with the 3rd pick in the draft. Although this mock draft is calling for 6 QB’s taken. Most mocks I’ve seen is at least 5 QB’s going in 1st round but not the Cowboys.

3. Dallas Cowboys: Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami (FL)

Taking Penei Sewell here was an incredibly tempting move, and while he is likely the better player than Rousseau, the Cowboys have a dreadful defense, and they will still have Tyron Smith and La’el Collins at tackle. Rousseau’s athleticism and massive ceiling could give Dallas a fantastic pass-rusher alongside DeMarcus Lawrence.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...x-quarterbacks-in-the-first-round/ar-BB1aVjb5

cern

Reaction score
The team with the first overall pick can start negotiating with their choice before the draft. The jets will have a pretty good feel for Lawrence wanting to play for them. And rookie salaries are almost predetermined. There shouldn't be any surprises.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Cowboys not looking to take a QB with the 3rd pick in the draft. Although this mock draft is calling for 6 QB’s taken. Most mocks I’ve seen is at least 5 QB’s going in 1st round but not the Cowboys.

3. Dallas Cowboys: Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami (FL)

Taking Penei Sewell here was an incredibly tempting move, and while he is likely the better player than Rousseau, the Cowboys have a dreadful defense, and they will still have Tyron Smith and La’el Collins at tackle. Rousseau’s athleticism and massive ceiling could give Dallas a fantastic pass-rusher alongside DeMarcus Lawrence.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...x-quarterbacks-in-the-first-round/ar-BB1aVjb5
If Jerry decides Rousseau is a better pick than Sewell I may truly be out of here finally.

I realize we need defense. We needed defense when we took Lamb.

That's the answer as to why you just take the better player

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
That’s got to be one of the most intelligent takes of heard on the situation, that’s why it won’t happen..... and in this years draft the Dallas Cowboys take Taco Charlton, just think we could’ve had the Johnny kid, oh what was his name. Instead My kid tells me we have to take some boring guard named Zack something.

guy

right
Interesting newcomer (I know when you joined, but you're posting more now). Welcome to the board.