The Case For OL

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4509840 said:
Gurode owned a bunch of NFL dt's from Nebraska too. He was a great run blocking guard.

Exactly what I was going to say. That was back when Nebraska was good, too. IIRC there was one play where he pushed some guy like 20 yards down the field.

As I think JT is suggesting, a big reservation I have about Decastro is I don't see him as physically dominant. You need more than that in the NFL, but you also need more than just quick feet and pulling ability. You can find good technicians way, way later than #14 overall.

I have a feeling some people are putting a lot of weight in that Stanford degree (and maybe even how it fits in with our genius head coach). If Decastro were from, say, Michigan State, would people see him exactly the same way? I doubt it.

BTW, I would feel a lot better about Decastro if we made him a center, which maybe we would. He seems to fit the profile of a C.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
First play of the video, DeCastro blocks 2 guys and sends the 2nd one to his backside. That player was running towards him and weighs 285 pounds.

The second clip he pushes the USC Trojan 8 yards off the LOS.

The third clip he opens a huge hole that the RB is gone for over 20 yards. I believe that was against Notre Dame, but am not sure.

In the fourth clip he completely takes his guy out of the play.

Fifth clip, he pushes his guy back 7 yards and opens a huge hole.

Sixth play, TD through the hole he opened.

Seventh play, pancakes Dallas Kelley of USC.

Eighth play, opens the hole for the score.

Ninth play, blocks 2 defenders and opens a hole for a big gain.

Tenth play, drives the USC DT into the ground.

Eleventh play, stop a bull rush.

Twelfth play, he pulls and seals the contain to break the play outside.

Thirteenth play, levels the first guy and keeps looking for people to hit 20 yards past the LOS.

[youtube]QM3jPINC0WU[/youtube]

cowboysooner

Reaction score
You can't take a highlight reel or else its Lake Wobegon where everybody is above average.

He is exceptional with his technique of keeping his shoulders square to line of scrimmage while pulling.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4509914 said:
BTW, I would feel a lot better about Decastro if we made him a center, which maybe we would. He seems to fit the profile of a C.

I think he will be a far better center than he would guard also CL.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Zaxor;4510037 said:
I think he will be a far better center than he would guard also CL.

He came out of high school as the top-ranked Center in the country, FWIW.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-has-upside-but-is-he-worth-a-firstround-risk

He said for his team to take a guard in the first round instead of a left tackle, he has to be as good as Steve Hutchinson was coming out of Michigan, and I'm not real sure DeCastro is in that conversation.

So I went back and watched more tape on DeCastro. I got a chance to watch the Stanford-Oklahoma State game last night with an offensive line coach. He pointed out three things that would concern me as it relates to a first-round grade.

The film indicated DeCastro is a physical guy who really likes to punish a defender when he gets the chance, but saying that, he gets himself in trouble with his overaggressiveness. DeCastro was on the ground six times during the game, usually from an overaggressive technique, and as the line coach pointed out, "That could wind up being 8-10 times in an NFL game."

I know David is a smart player and understands he must control his tempo and trust his technique. Easier said than done, especially for first-round picks who line up as starters in Week 1.

Secondly, DeCastro tends to play too high in his pass sets at times, and is susceptible to a bull rush that will push him back into the QB. He must be more consistent dropping his weight, bending his ankles and knees, and winning the leverage game.

Third, there was a play when DeCastro set for pass protection and the defender vacated and was uncovered. As he waited for the blitzer, he was fooled by a head fake and went to the ground.

Again, when thinking about a first-round guard, there really can't be these kinds of issues. During some of his drill work at the combine, he slipped to the ground, which my line-coach friend was quick to point out.
Its Pat Kirwan so take with a grain of salt but he did talk to an OL coach and he did work in NFL front offices officially.

I like DeCastro but just not at 14. I am middle ground between this Kirwan take and those who have fallen in man lust making him their pet cat.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think overall we did a pretty good job in free agency plugging holes and allowing us to take the best players available in the draft. The problem (and frustration) that many of us seem to have with it is that the Cowboys have failed to address the center position in free agency(which I think MUST BE ADDRESSED) in the first 4 rounds of the draft, unless we get two other dominant guards in either free agency or the draft.

Reading the tea leaves seems to indicate that the Cowboys think they have fixed the line with two castoffs from other teams that no one had heard of before they signed here. That doesn't mean they wont be the next Kosier, but I think it is a legitimate concern that we haven't fixed our offensive line yet.

I think the Cowboys organization is sniffing glue unless they target DeCastro or Glenn, and whoever they think can start this year as the center (Konz or Blake come to mind). If we get two of those players (DeCastro/Glenn and Konz/2nd best center), I think we can feel better about the state of our offensive line.

The only reason I can see that we would target Barron is in a trade down scenario where we can trade back up and get Barron and Konz, instead of DeCastro and whoever else we would have taken at #2.

Personally, I would rather see them select DeCastro at #14 and trade back up and get Barron(if they are that high on him) or Konz. But that is just me.

Maybe the Cowboys see less drop off between DeCastro and Glenn than they see between Konz and the #2 center or Barron and the #2 safety.

Barron might be the best of this safety class, but in a normal year (with a deeper safety class) he would probably be a second or third round choice.

mensaone

Benched
Reaction score
gimmesix;4509057 said:
I'm also starting to think that all of the offensive linemen I think can really help this team (DeCastro, Glenn, Konz, Silatolu, Zeitler) are going to be gone before Dallas picks at 45.

It's a strong class and because of that, more interior linemen are going to be taken earlier than usual from the teens on IMO.

Our only hope in the second round might be Brandon Brooks.

you don't think C Brewster could not beat out Costa - I got him in the 4

A tall, flexible center who sits into his stance well, displays natural bend and creates pretty consistent leverage for someone his size. Snaps and steps quickly and does a great job in the pass game quickly getting his hands up, gains proper hand placement and is a real sticky player through contact. Is tough to disengage from because of his heavy hands and natural shuffle and slide ability through contact. But, will get overextended at times, lung into contact and stop moving his feet, allowing him to be slipped through contact. Possesses good awareness and feel inside as well, keeps his head on a swivel, consistently picks up stunts cleanly inside and has the range to re-direct in space, maintain balance and stun a blitzing linebacker with a compact/strong punch.

Plays with natural leverage in the run game as well and once he gets his hands on defenders is tough to disengage from, as he can anchor/seal linemen consistently away from the football. Works his legs once engaged and has average natural power when trying to drive defenders off the football. At times takes poor angles when trying to create a snap off the line into contact and will allow interior defensive lineman to get up the field and create havoc behind him. Nevertheless, displays good short area quickness, has the fluidity/footwork to make up for a false step and push defenders past the play. Looks coordinated on the move. Isn't an elite athlete in space, but has some range to the second level, breaks down well and routinely can hold his own in space.

Impression: A seasoned lineman who displays good size, hand placement and bend for the position. Looks like an eventual starter to me in the NFL.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
jterrell;4510108 said:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-has-upside-but-is-he-worth-a-firstround-risk

Its Pat Kirwan so take with a grain of salt but he did talk to an OL coach and he did work in NFL front offices officially.

I like DeCastro but just not at 14. I am middle ground between this Kirwan take and those who have fallen in man lust making him their pet cat.

Looking at the Notre Dame game, I thought he was on the ground 3 or 4 plays there too. Generally I don't find him to be a Larry Allen type of mauler at all, got stood up a few times at the point, but he is extremely good of hitting LBs on the move in the 2nd level on pulls and sweeps.

People want to make comparisons to the 90's Cowboys, but forget that Newton and Tui were developmental guys who didn't hit their stride until their 4th or 5th years in the league. They both looked absolutely awful under Landry and their first year under Jimmy. That's what coaching and strength and conditioning is for. Gesek was claimed in Plan B Free agency. I also note that the Jason Garrett Cowboys will never be a power running team like that. Garrett's favorite run play is the draw from the shot gun. You don't need Larry Allen for that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
mensaone;4510460 said:

A tall, flexible center who sits into his stance well, displays natural bend and creates pretty consistent leverage for someone his size. Snaps and steps quickly and does a great job in the pass game quickly getting his hands up, gains proper hand placement and is a real sticky player through contact. Is tough to disengage from because of his heavy hands and natural shuffle and slide ability through contact. But, will get overextended at times, lung into contact and stop moving his feet, allowing him to be slipped through contact. Possesses good awareness and feel inside as well, keeps his head on a swivel, consistently picks up stunts cleanly inside and has the range to re-direct in space, maintain balance and stun a blitzing linebacker with a compact/strong punch.

Plays with natural leverage in the run game as well and once he gets his hands on defenders is tough to disengage from, as he can anchor/seal linemen consistently away from the football. Works his legs once engaged and has average natural power when trying to drive defenders off the football. At times takes poor angles when trying to create a snap off the line into contact and will allow interior defensive lineman to get up the field and create havoc behind him. Nevertheless, displays good short area quickness, has the fluidity/footwork to make up for a false step and push defenders past the play. Looks coordinated on the move. Isn't an elite athlete in space, but has some range to the second level, breaks down well and routinely can hold his own in space.

Impression: A seasoned lineman who displays good size, hand placement and bend for the position. Looks like an eventual starter to me in the NFL.

We've got a fourth-rounder from last season currently sitting on the bench. That doesn't mean a fourth-round pick can't come in and start, but if he lasts till the fourth, I don't have a lot of faith in him coming in and starting.

jubal

Reaction score
sonnyboy;4507751 said:
Really?

We were 15th in points scored and 11th in yards gained.

We were 16th in points allowed and 14th in yards allowed.

So let me do the math.....hmmm 32 teams in the league. OK by math both units were average.

Now if you drill down a little further within those numbers you'll see that the defense rushed the passer and defended the run far better than it defended the pass.

You'll also see that the team passed the ball better than it ran it. Especially in short yardage and goal line situations as evidenced by our 5 Rushing TDs.

I'm no expert, but I'd say that leads me to believe that the 2012 offseason should be spent upgrading our OL and Secondary.

Ergo a 8 and 8 season. I saw on another thread that if we stay on the field and running the ball then the other team can't get their elite QB on the field to toss undefended passes to 7 or 8 different receivers,this seems logical to me and I would enjoy the game more watching my team shine than the other team. So I am going for giving my QB more than 3 seconds to get rid of the ball before being hit. The two ol they picked up can rotate in and out for breathers with our first team linemen. The three running backs behind the fb should get them into the secondary after the ol opens a hole big enough to drive a bus through. IMHO!!!:)

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
mensaone;4510460 said:

This is a guy with a pretty good resume that isn't rated very high. There must be something people don't like about him. His senior year didn't garner as many accolades as his earlier years.

Any thoughts on him?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other than Kronz, drafting DeCastro and moving him to center or drafting Zeitler and moving him to center I don't have a lot of faith that any of the other potential centers is going to come in and be a starter for the Dallas Cowboys this season.

mensaone

Benched
Reaction score
junk;4511097 said:
This is a guy with a pretty good resume that isn't rated very high. There must be something people don't like about him. His senior year didn't garner as many accolades as his earlier years.

Any thoughts on him?

the only thing I can say is that he went thru that scandal at OSU

lost his coach his QB and other players

probably had another OC

he was top ranked after the 2010 season

The Realist

Reaction score
I never really thought about DeCastro at Center.

Very interesting thought though.

Makes the 2 scrub G's we signed much more tolerable.

DeCastro at 14 and I dare Glenn to slide to 45.