The case for Pollard

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Volume = production at that position.

So while Zeke may be the more skilled player Pollard would produce at a similar level if given the same work load.

He would probably provide more big plays but would hurt us on short runs which is a trade off that I wouldn't mind anyways.

We're locked into Zeke's contract so it's not worth discussing really but Pollard is a talented enough player that I don't think we would see a huge drop off without Zeke.

We're 7-7 with Zeke so...
You absolutely cannot say that Pollard would produce at Zeke's level if he were given the same work load. Pollard had a total of 104 carries in 40 college games. Nobody has any idea what he would do if he were given 20+ carries per game. But at 6' 209 lbs, I have a suspicion that he wouldn't make it through a full season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You absolutely cannot say that Pollard would produce at Zeke's level if he were given the same work load. Pollard had a total of 104 carries in 40 college games. Nobody has any idea what he would do if he were given 20+ carries per game. But at 6' 209 lbs, I have a suspicion that he wouldn't make it through a full season.

Just go look at the league leaders in football. There is always a correlation and it's volume.

No name guys will produce at an elite level if they get volume.

Anyone that plays Fantasy Football knows this. Volume is the #1 factor for RB production.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. Emmitt was 5' 10" and was what, 205? He did pretty well for himself.

Sepia

Reaction score
We need both. They are complimentary. Pollard definitely has a speed and burst that Zeke doesn't.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Just go look at the league leaders in football. There is always a correlation and it's volume.

No name guys will produce at an elite level if they get volume.

Anyone that plays Fantasy Football knows this. Volume is the #1 factor for RB production.
So you want to give a guy 20+ carries per game who has NEVER carried it that often? A guy that averaged 2.6 carries per game in college? No thanks. I like Pollard, but his role is a change of pace guy that we would should use more in the passing game. Not an every down back.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So you want to give a guy 20+ carries per game who has NEVER carried it that often? A guy that averaged 2.6 carries per game in college? No thanks. I like Pollard, but his role is a change of pace guy that we would should use more in the passing game. Not an every down back.

Sure.. Teams do it all the time.

If Zeke goes down what are we going to do? Not give Pollard touches because of college?

I don't care what he did in college. The only thing that has stopped him in the Pro's is opportunity.

When he's had it he's been very good.

Again.. Alvin Kamara is an example for Pollard.

Kamara gets about 15 carries a game and catches a lot of balls and is one of the most productive players because of it. Pollard can handle a Kamara workload.

droopdog7

Reaction score
So we are now having a discussion on whether Pollard is better than zeke? This is ridiculous.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Emmitt had tree truck thighs and was stout!
Doesn't matter. He was told he wouldn't make it in the NFL because of his size and he proved them wrong. You can argue all you want but an opinion is just that. It doesn't make it fact. I think Pollard is a good runner and in my opinion, runs better than Elliot.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Sure.. Teams do it all the time.

If Zeke goes down what are we going to do? Not give Pollard touches because of college?

I don't care what he did in college. The only thing that has stopped him in the Pro's is opportunity.

When he's had it he's been very good.

Again.. Alvin Kamara is an example for Pollard.

Kamara gets about 15 carries a game and catches a lot of balls and is one of the most productive players because of it. Pollard can handle a Kamara workload.
And we've seen Kamar's production decrease this year without a workhorse like Ingram in the backfield.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. He was told he wouldn't make it in the NFL because of his size and he proved them wrong. You can argue all you want but an opinion is just that. It doesn't make it fact. I think Pollard is a good runner and in my opinion, runs better than Elliot.
Spot duty is his wheelhouse, and he's been good at it.

cern

Reaction score
Yet the statistics say otherwise. Paychecks rarely equate to value. Plus I find it hard to call any person a man who carries purses and wears their shirt like an teenage girl from the 80’s.
I wish I could watch you say that to his face. :):) but in all seriousness, we're lucky to have both. pollard has his strengths, but zeke is the man. when it's 4th and 1 on the goal line, I want zeke getting the ball.

shabazz

Reaction score
This post is the most short sighted, asinine post...I considered not even commenting.

However in hindsight I must point out that Zeke is a bogus suspension away from being the most productive player in his first four years in Dallas Cowboys history.

Pollard has had two great games.

Both players should be a big part of our offense the next few years. But enough with the idiotic Zeke bashing.

I hate Zekes contract but he has the proven numbers so I cant argue with it, and other than him taking himself out of games at times, he showed yesterday why this offense evolves around him.

Its a blessing to have both theses guys compliment each others talents

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I wish I could watch you say that to his face. :):) but in all seriousness, we're lucky to have both. pollard has his strengths, but zeke is the man. when it's 4th and 1 on the goal line, I want zeke getting the ball.

Zeke is great at the little play and that is great but this is a big play league and we're 7-7 with all of Zeke's greatness at the little play.

Where is the big play coming from with this team? The passing game?

exciter

Reaction score
From the start, I've liked this kid. Yesterday was the icing on the cake for me.

Pollard:
12 rushes for 131 yards

Elliot:
24 rushes for 117 yards

To me, the kid is just better than Elliot. Don't get me wrong. I think Elliot is a good back (not work the big contract though). But I think Pollard gives the dynamic of the "break-away" run as evident in his TD run yesterday. If that was Elliot, he goes down or is caught from behind.
Lol! Nothing else needs to be said!

cern

Reaction score
who told him he wouldn't make it in the nfl? he was 5-9 and played between 216-220. pollard is a good runner, but he's no zeke.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Am I the only one who realizes that without Zeke pounding the defense into submission pollard doesn’t get that lane to run thru? Why does it always have to be he’s better then him. They compliment each other. It’s simple. Also. I think it’s apparent you didn’t see that when Zeke was in the rams sold out to stop the run. When pollard came on in the second half the rams were lined up against the pass. It’s night and day the difference in how the rams played when pollard was in.

As much as I disagree with you about a lot of things, I am 100% on the same page with you here.

Well said.