The case for Urban Meyer, a case for the fans

eromeopolk

Reaction score
First off, he's my least favorite among the names thrown around as a person. He's done some really questionable things and escaped in the nick of time. I don't like him as a person.

I do not see Belichick or Tomlin coming to work for this owner and this owner is the tricky part of all of this because that is the trick to this job because ain't nobody happy if the owner's not happy.

So, let's look at the other candidate mentioned most along with Meyer's entry into this, Lincoln Riley. What has he accomplished? He got two QB's a Heisman and the first pick in the draft. His only HC experience is in the Big 12 and he's not built a defense because he doesn't have to in that conference, they're the run and shoot conference. He is a very good OC but he's won nothing but the Big 12.

What's the sell on Riley? He has a relationship with the owner and could probably make him comfortable. What other HC can we say that about? How about the one we all want gone? Would the owner not see him as more of a NFL HC in training just as he had with Garrett? Think he's going to carry any weight to get the owner not to give into his inclinations? Does anything change with Riley?

What about Urban Meyer, what has he accomplished? He's made every team he's had a part in better. He's coached, successfully, in the SEC and BIG 10, the two conferences that play close to NFL ball and send the most players to the NFL. He has credibility.

So, think about the owner, which one of these guys is he going to listen to and not discount their thinking? Which one will be the best to evaluate and oversee coaches? Which one will be the best equipped to be the influencer and not the influenced?

This job calls for some skills not usually associated with HC's and I think Meyer is better equipped to handle that than Riley.

The other thing this does is send the message to us, the fans. If he hires a HC based on the relationship, we haven't changed much. Which man has the resume, not the relationship, to bring about change? The answer to that is a simple one. If he hires Meyer, he's willing to be a little less comfortable to win. If it's Riley, it's all about comfort. And, as fans, we will be less comfortable.
I got to this conclusion last year when he left Ohio St.

If the Cowboys do not hire Urban Meyer, they will never, never ever get to a Super Bowl in the year starting with 20..

Aven8

Reaction score
All about one side of his brain, just as they did Saban with defensing the RPO.

I am not discounting his offensive mind, it is impressive but who stands the best chance to get Booger more on the D side, Riley or Meyer?

This team has had two runs with multiple rings and those coaches had one thing in common, defense. That's why that cat in NE has been so successful.

I actually prefer Meyer over Riley. I wanted Riley for Dak early on, but he’s proven he can be a QB now. Meyer is a winner, but I would be happy if Jerry went with Riley too.

Regardless of who he picks I want a full slate of new coaches. No leftovers please.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually, he did interview with the Jets last year, and it's pretty common knowledge that he really wants to coach in the NFL.

He would take the Cowboys job in a nanosecond.

Riley might not be interested in the NFL, but Rhule most certainly is.
While he appears to have aspirations to coach in NFL it’s not only speculative but I’d argue naive to assume or believe this franchise would attract him or any up an coming touted HC’s.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, he did interview with the Jets last year, and it's pretty common knowledge that he really wants to coach in the NFL.

He would take the Cowboys job in a nanosecond.

Riley might not be interested in the NFL, but Rhule most certainly is.
Riley has a Saban job, I do not get why he would even entertain the idea unless that was for the Board of Regents to take notice? These guys are smart, they know how to play the game. I remember when AR was looking and Long, the AD at the time, let the rumor out they were interested in Les Miles. He got a 1m bump and he never had any intention of taking that job.

Riley made the CFP and has made them forget about Stoops and that whole Mixon mess, he will get whatever he wants to stay. Now, he might have that NFL bug. There are some HC's that look at college as off Broadway, the real deal is in the NFL. They want to test themselves against the best.

I can imagine what it's like to be a good college HC and watch HC's like Belichick, Reid, Tomlin and Harbaugh coach on Sundays. On the other side of that is a 20-25% turnover every year and those guys aren't loose change, their damned good coaches.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And yet the two names most commonly mentioned are Riley and Meyer? Two guys that could have their pick of jobs. Really shoots a big hole in this awful theory of yours.
At this point those names are simply speculative. I’d argue my theory is still in play until a decision is made.

And if Jerry did go in such direction then it would be an admittance Jerry is willing to take a lesser role and or give up some control which I think is naive. I hope I’m wrong.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually prefer Meyer over Riley. I wanted Riley for Dak early on, but he’s proven he can be a QB now. Meyer is a winner, but I would be happy if Jerry went with Riley too.

Regardless of who he picks I want a full slate of new coaches. No leftovers please.
Jury's out on that one and I don't even know the contractual status of this but the biggest ? is Moore. Might he be a Booger fave like Prescott and keeping him as the OC is part of the deal?

erod asked about what the candidates might think about Prescott, I wonder more about Moore. I think only a real coach, not one that just sits on a couch, can really evaluate how his first year has been.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Riley has a Saban job, I do not get why he would even entertain the idea unless that was for the Board of Regents to take notice? These guys are smart, they know how to play the game. I remember when AR was looking and Long, the AD at the time, let the rumor out they were interested in Les Miles. He got a 1m bump and he never had any intention of taking that job.

Riley made the CFP and has made them forget about Stoops and that whole Mixon mess, he will get whatever he wants to stay. Now, he might have that NFL bug. There are some HC's that look at college as off Broadway, the real deal is in the NFL. They want to test themselves against the best.

I can imagine what it's like to be a good college HC and watch HC's like Belichick, Reid, Tomlin and Harbaugh coach on Sundays. On the other side of that is a 20-25% turnover every year and those guys aren't loose change, their damned good coaches.
There just isn’t the security in NFL as there is in NCAA. And you don’t have access to sign all of the top recruits every year basically in a position to dominate your conference from a greater talent level alone.

All of that changes in the NFL. The only HC’s who survive in this era with any longevity have one of the most Elite QB’s.

The money used to be greater in NFL but that isn’t even the case anymore. I really don’t believe the NFL is a higher profile position anymore. I’d argue the top HC in the most premiere College programs are more recognized than the NFL because of their long tenures and continued success.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point those names are simply speculative. I’d argue my theory is still in play until a decision is made.

Fair enough, nothing is done until it's done. But the point remains that the names atop the list aren't "puppets" without other options. These are top, in-demand names being connected with the Cowboys. Meyer said himself how civ to the Cowboys job is, and I think that specific interview, and those soecific comments have played a HUGE part in where we are today. Add to that Jane Slater's report that Stephen Jones has already spoken to the guy and it shows that they're not simply looking for another puppet.

And if Jerry did go in such direction then it would be an admittance Jerry is willing to take a lesser role and or give up some control which I think is naive. I hope I’m wrong.

And would we also get an "admittance" that maybe you were wrong too?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I wouldn't call that naive, show me the person that thought he'd be willing to hire Parcells. I wouldn't assume where his head is at right now except he's very emotional. His dream is unraveling before his eyes and he can no longer hide. Greg, this is the first time he's been the one catching the heat so his response isn't easily predicted.

The other part of that is within his chosen circle, what is he hearing from them? You are predicting future behavior based on past behavior without allowing for the circumstances. It is very possible he is coming to the realization that what he's been trying to do will not work. He did that when he changed his circle of influence and stop listening to his old crony Lacewell and hired McClay and actually listened to him. That shot from the war room when he stayed the course on McClay's board, that was his influence, he wouldn't even bend to his son and the others that wanted to trade. I was pleasantly surprised.

One of the assumptions about Booger is wrong, just as it is about all of us old dogs. We might not be as good as we were learning new tricks but we do learn which ones to stop performing. He might be at a crossroads and realize the sand is running faster in that hourglass. I wouldn't rule anything out with him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jury's out on that one and I don't even know the contractual status of this but the biggest ? is Moore. Might he be a Booger fave like Prescott and keeping him as the OC is part of the deal?

erod asked about what the candidates might think about Prescott, I wonder more about Moore. I think only a real coach, not one that just sits on a couch, can really evaluate how his first year has been.
There’s so many many of these intangible factors like with Moore and Prescott that hang over the next HC situation. From the onset the new HC will need to with Jerry’s staff and personnel. Which makes it difficult from the onset to implement your own schemes , etc.

Fans need to look outside these stirring rumors into what’s going to fit into Jerry’s ways and comfort fitting into the team , staff and front office Jerry’s assembled.

Basically get into Jerry’s mindset not ours. And I’m thinking that’s more about someone who can come in and be the one who can help better game plan and field General more effective which were the glaring weaknesses of Garrett.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair enough, nothing is done until it's done. But the point remains that the names atop the list aren't "puppets" without other options. These are top, in-demand names being connected with the Cowboys. Meyer said himself how civ to the Cowboys job is, and I think that specific interview, and those soecific comments have played a HUGE part in where we are today. Add to that Jane Slater's report that Stephen Jones has already spoken to the guy and it shows that they're not simply looking for another puppet.

NOW, you are pushing it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Of course those names aren’t puppets. Until Jerry names interest in them or interviews then I’d argue it’s mere hopeful speculation stirring the pot.

My argument is based on Jerry’s history and agendas this generation. I’ve seen no evidence he’s willing to allow a coach of these magnitude.

If he is ready to make such concession then I’d certainly acknowledge as such.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
There’s so many many of these intangible factors like with Moore and Prescott that hang over the next HC situation. From the onset the new HC will need to with Jerry’s staff and personnel. Which makes it difficult from the onset to implement your own schemes , etc.

Fans need to look outside these stirring rumors into what’s going to fit into Jerry’s ways and comfort fitting into the team , staff and front office Jerry’s assembled.

Basically get into Jerry’s mindset not ours. And I’m thinking that’s more about someone who can come in and be the one who can help better game plan and field General more effective which were the glaring weaknesses of Garrett.
Urban Meyer already responed with his interest in the Dallas Cowboys (also see my post "Its time for an Urban Renewal of the Dallas Cowboys"):

"Pure speculation, because I know [Riley], but I don't know him like that, but that's the one [job]," Meyer said. "That's the New York Yankees, that's the Dallas Cowboys, that's the one. Great city, you got Dak Prescott, you got Zeke Elliott, you got a loaded team, and I can't speak for [Riley] obviously -- I hate to even speculate -- because I don't know him, that's really not fair, but to me, that's the one job in professional football that you kind of say, 'I gotta go do that.'"

After Meyer mentioned that it's the "one job" that any coach would have to consider, Cowherd asked him if he would be open to taking it if the Cowboys called.

"Absolutely. Absolutely," Meyer said. "That one? Yes."

The only one in the way has been the one in the way since 1989...Jerry Jones.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course those names aren’t puppets. Until Jerry names interest in them or interviews then I’d argue it’s mere hopeful speculation stirring the pot.

My argument is based on Jerry’s history and agendas this generation. I’ve seen no evidence he’s willing to allow a coach of these magnitude.

If he is ready to make such concession then I’d certainly acknowledge as such.

Here you go:

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Urban Meyer already responed with his interest in the Dallas Cowboys (also see my post "Its time for an Urban Renewal of the Dallas Cowboys"):

"Pure speculation, because I know [Riley], but I don't know him like that, but that's the one [job]," Meyer said. "That's the New York Yankees, that's the Dallas Cowboys, that's the one. Great city, you got Dak Prescott, you got Zeke Elliott, you got a loaded team, and I can't speak for [Riley] obviously -- I hate to even speculate -- because I don't know him, that's really not fair, but to me, that's the one job in professional football that you kind of say, 'I gotta go do that.'"

After Meyer mentioned that it's the "one job" that any coach would have to consider, Cowherd asked him if he would be open to taking it if the Cowboys called.

"Absolutely. Absolutely," Meyer said. "That one? Yes."

The only one in the way has been the one in the way since 1989...Jerry Jones.

What else is Meyer supposed to say? "No way. Not with Jerry Jones at the helm of it all. I'm not very interested in the job."

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing to consider about Booger's state of mind about this "credit" thing we all talk about and his drive to get that. What if he's realizing that "credit" for hiring the right guy and winning is a close second to being crowned "football man".

I've never gotten that part of it but then I wasn't the boss while my former roommate in college got all of the accolades and glory. And in case y'all aren't aware, Jimmy was also the far better known player on that 64 national championship team and borderline a star compared to Booger. This envy/jealousy thing may go back decades.

If I am the GM and I hire a college HC, against all the advice from the league people, and have him build me a team that goes 3 out of 4 on rings from where they were, I am crowning myself "football man". In fact, I hire me some GM's and when they fail and catch all the blame, all y'all are begging poor ole CC, "please come back and be our GM".

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldn't call that naive, show me the person that thought he'd be willing to hire Parcells. I wouldn't assume where his head is at right now except he's very emotional. His dream is unraveling before his eyes and he can no longer hide. Greg, this is the first time he's been the one catching the heat so his response isn't easily predicted.

The other part of that is within his chosen circle, what is he hearing from them? You are predicting future behavior based on past behavior without allowing for the circumstances. It is very possible he is coming to the realization that what he's been trying to do will not work. He did that when he changed his circle of influence and stop listening to his old crony Lacewell and hired McClay and actually listened to him. That shot from the war room when he stayed the course on McClay's board, that was his influence, he wouldn't even bend to his son and the others that wanted to trade. I was pleasantly surprised.

One of the assumptions about Booger is wrong, just as it is about all of us old dogs. We might not be as good as we were learning new tricks but we do learn which ones to stop performing. He might be at a crossroads and realize the sand is running faster in that hourglass. I wouldn't rule anything out with him.
I appreciate you retaining hope Jerry’s willing to accept and act on his dysfunctional leadership. But I’m not buying it until it’s done. And even like with Bill he still couldn’t help himself.

But I would agree this predicament he’s backed himself into does present a possibility at least potentially he could make a more Parcells like decision just to show everyone he can do it and still cares enough.

I’ll believe it when I see it. After a generation he’s exhausted my hope and even if he does hire a Named HC I’m not sure I’d expect anymore success than we had with Bill.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What else is Meyer supposed to say? "No way. Not with Jerry Jones at the helm of it all. I'm not very interested in the job."
Yea this swirling rumor about Meyer is based mostly on his comment on Fox that he still saw the Cowboys as an attractive venue.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'd make the state of South Carolina hate me and take Clemson's entire staff. Dabo is a walk around coach, but he's fantastic at assembling personnel. Coaches, players, and trainers, Dabo has assembled the best of the best time and time again. He's also got a great personality, relates well to players, and would do well as the face of the Cowboys. Most importantly though is who he'd bring with him. Should they agree to follow, Brent Venables is the best defensive coordinator in college football and Tony Elliott isn't far behind him at offensive coordinator. That's not including some of the best position coaches in the NCAA.