The case for Urban Meyer, a case for the fans

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here you go:

Those are innuendos which fans are desperate to make a connection they are true contenders .

You’re welcome to believe they are on top of the list as candidates but I’m not as hopeful.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Urban Meyer already responed with his interest in the Dallas Cowboys (also see my post "Its time for an Urban Renewal of the Dallas Cowboys"):

"Pure speculation, because I know [Riley], but I don't know him like that, but that's the one [job]," Meyer said. "That's the New York Yankees, that's the Dallas Cowboys, that's the one. Great city, you got Dak Prescott, you got Zeke Elliott, you got a loaded team, and I can't speak for [Riley] obviously -- I hate to even speculate -- because I don't know him, that's really not fair, but to me, that's the one job in professional football that you kind of say, 'I gotta go do that.'"

After Meyer mentioned that it's the "one job" that any coach would have to consider, Cowherd asked him if he would be open to taking it if the Cowboys called.

"Absolutely. Absolutely," Meyer said. "That one? Yes."

The only one in the way has been the one in the way since 1989...Jerry Jones.
I saw that live when he said it. It was a casual reference. Fans are so desperate to make a connection. I’m not as hopeful it was anything more than a public innuendo similar to his reference to Yankees.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One thing to consider about Booger's state of mind about this "credit" thing we all talk about and his drive to get that. What if he's realizing that "credit" for hiring the right guy and winning is a close second to being crowned "football man".

I've never gotten that part of it but then I wasn't the boss while my former roommate in college got all of the accolades and glory. And in case y'all aren't aware, Jimmy was also the far better known player on that 64 national championship team and borderline a star compared to Booger. This envy/jealousy thing may go back decades.

If I am the GM and I hire a college HC, against all the advice from the league people, and have him build me a team that goes 3 out of 4 on rings from where they were, I am crowning myself "football man". In fact, I hire me some GM's and when they fail and catch all the blame, all y'all are begging poor ole CC, "please come back and be our GM".
Winning isn’t Jerry’s #1 priority UNLES he’s the man. It’s why he parted ways with Jimmy. And has continued to under hire for the coaching job since with the lone exception of Bill because he needing something. A new stadium.

I don’t see Jerry as in the same position as he was then. He still wants to prove he can do this while maintaining being the face of the Cowboys in position to take credit if we succeed. I’m still not sure if he’d appreciate success if someone came in and stole his thunder.

We are at a very precarious crossroads with Jerry now. Could be even dangerous taking a step back. If he’s willing to let this thing collapse with Jason for his own selfish reasons then we really aren’t sure what he might be capable of moving forward. I certainly wouldn’t assume he’ll name one of these Named HC floating around and be willing to give up any control or credit if this team has success.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea this swirling rumor about Meyer is based mostly on his comment on Fox that he still saw the Cowboys as an attractive venue.
I smelled set up on that one. He knew he was going to be asked that and took the opportunity to get his name on the list. Nothing wrong with that but posters have said "he was just answering a question". All of these shows are scripted and laid out before hand, including the fact that Bradshaw will stumble through his part. I hope he's drunk on those TNF pregames, hate to think of a man acting like that sober.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I could see Jerry naming one of our current coaches he’s comfortable with or another fairly unknown commodity he’d be more comfortable.

Remember, Jerry thinks he’s built a great enough roster to win or at least play in a Super Bowl. He doesn’t need a Parcells type to resurrect us.

He just needs a HC who can better game plan and make in game adjustments and field general type decisions. Garretts greatest criticism is from Game Day not the rest of his contributions.

Jerry will finally part ways with Garrett which will help calm the waters in the media and with the fans but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to make concessions he’s the culprit by taking a lesser role or giving up some of his control in order to attract a Big Name HC.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winning isn’t Jerry’s #1 priority UNLES he’s the man. It’s why he parted ways with Jimmy. And has continued to under hire for the coaching job since with the lone exception of Bill because he needing something. A new stadium.

I don’t see Jerry as in the same position as he was then. He still wants to prove he can do this while maintaining being the face of the Cowboys in position to take credit if we succeed. I’m still not sure if he’d appreciate success if someone came in and stole his thunder.

We are at a very precarious crossroads with Jerry now. Could be even dangerous taking a step back. If he’s willing to let this thing collapse with Jason for his own selfish reasons then we really aren’t sure what he might be capable of moving forward. I certainly wouldn’t assume he’ll name one of these Named HC floating around and be willing to give up any control or credit if this team has success.
Greg you are using something that happened between two men with a long history back in 1993, that's 26 years ago and a lot has taken place since then.

You are taking that extreme past behavior to predict what he will do now under different circumstances. He did use the word "comfortable" in explaining what he liked about having Garrett around so there is that but he's come under a lot of scrutiny, this is new territory for Booger. I am going to wait to see how he responds.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
First off, he's my least favorite among the names thrown around as a person. He's done some really questionable things and escaped in the nick of time. I don't like him as a person.

I do not see Belichick or Tomlin coming to work for this owner and this owner is the tricky part of all of this because that is the trick to this job because ain't nobody happy if the owner's not happy.

So, let's look at the other candidate mentioned most along with Meyer's entry into this, Lincoln Riley. What has he accomplished? He got two QB's a Heisman and the first pick in the draft. His only HC experience is in the Big 12 and he's not built a defense because he doesn't have to in that conference, they're the run and shoot conference. He is a very good OC but he's won nothing but the Big 12.

What's the sell on Riley? He has a relationship with the owner and could probably make him comfortable. What other HC can we say that about? How about the one we all want gone? Would the owner not see him as more of a NFL HC in training just as he had with Garrett? Think he's going to carry any weight to get the owner not to give into his inclinations? Does anything change with Riley?

What about Urban Meyer, what has he accomplished? He's made every team he's had a part in better. He's coached, successfully, in the SEC and BIG 10, the two conferences that play close to NFL ball and send the most players to the NFL. He has credibility.

So, think about the owner, which one of these guys is he going to listen to and not discount their thinking? Which one will be the best to evaluate and oversee coaches? Which one will be the best equipped to be the influencer and not the influenced?

This job calls for some skills not usually associated with HC's and I think Meyer is better equipped to handle that than Riley.

The other thing this does is send the message to us, the fans. If he hires a HC based on the relationship, we haven't changed much. Which man has the resume, not the relationship, to bring about change? The answer to that is a simple one. If he hires Meyer, he's willing to be a little less comfortable to win. If it's Riley, it's all about comfort. And, as fans, we will be less comfortable.
Meyer will probably coach here for about 5 years. After he leaves, cirlce back to Riley

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jerry’s only hired the right HC once since Jimmy left. And was only hired cause Jerry needed a new stadium.

But Jerry still inserted himself meddling which ultimately ended the tenure before he could finish the job and since Jerry has retreated into his poor practices.

The only HC’s who’d be interested in coming under Jerry’s toxic atmosphere are those who aren’t being pursued elsewhere.

Parcells said he left because the game was taking too much of a toll on him at 67.. The playoff loss to Seattle took too much out of him and he didn't want to feel that way any more.

Unless you have some sort of special insight that he was lying, I don't see why we should believe the fan version that it was because of Jerry's meddling over the man's own words.

“All you got to do is kick a field goal, the most elementary of plays, and then you just don’t do it. And so I don’t want to go through that process again. Too much blood,” Parcells said.

“That Seattle game … that had a real mental affect on me,” Parcells says, referring to the Cowboys’ 21-20 loss to the Seahawks in the 2006 NFC Wild Card round. “I really thought we had a chance to do something. And not only with Seattle, but Chicago the next week. I just thought we had a chance. That one beat me up a little bit.”

Not long after that game, Parcells decided to hang it up, citing a lack of desire to continue, especially with the finish in Seattle still fresh on his mind.

“I was just really upset and saddened by that last game,” Parcells says. “I just didn’t want to try to do it again. I know from coaching all these years, if you’re not mentally geared up for it – it’s hard enough to do it anyway, but if you don’t get really into it, it’s impossible. I just thought enough was enough.”

To this day, Parcells still admits he has a few “what-if” moments about leaving the Cowboys after the 2006 season, particularly since they went 13-3 the following year under Wade Phillips.

“I’d say there were some times where I thought to myself, ‘I should’ve tried one more time,’” Parcells remembers. “With that group we had, maybe we could’ve done something more. I don’t know. But I just thought at the time it was the right decision to walk away.”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg you are using something that happened between two men with a long history back in 1993, that's 26 years ago and a lot has taken place since then.

You are taking that extreme past behavior to predict what he will do now under different circumstances. He did use the word "comfortable" in explaining what he liked about having Garrett around so there is that but he's come under a lot of scrutiny, this is new territory for Booger. I am going to wait to see how he responds.
We are all waiting to see how he responds but in the meantime we are providing our insights and instincts. It’s not like everyone is sitting around without thought just waiting. Lol

I didn’t start this thread just responding with my thoughts which are spurred by these. Mine are based more on recent history and trends. Not hope Jerry’s going to finally do the right thing.

My hope is exhausted. Until he shows us differently I see no reason to believe otherwise.

cern

Reaction score
the mother of all big splashes would be the GOAT, bill belichick. bill began having problems with brady a few years ago because of tom's insistence he have his own trainer, bringing his trainer to practice sessions, having the trainer fly on the team jet to away games and even to the point of trying to enlist other players to go with his own trainer. all to the chagrin of bill. belichick saw the inevitability that brady was nearing 40, his skills would begin to diminish (as they are now) and he would need a new qb to lead the pats. he drafted the man who broke all of romo's records at his alma mater, jimmy Garoppolo. when brady got injured/suspended, Garoppolo most ably filled in for tom. bill knew his heir apparent was on the roster. but tom could not tolerate any perceivable threat to his stature and desire to coach well into his 40s. so much so he petitioned owner Robert kraft to do something about it. kraft then directed bill to seek a trade for Garoppolo. bill was furious that his qb and even the owner would put him in this position, so in anger he all but gave Garoppolo away for next to nothing to the 49ers. the rest is etched in stone. not likely he will ever get over this betrayal after all he'd done for the pats organization. what better way to get his revenge than to sign up to coach the team owned by jerral wayne jones? talk about dishes best served cold.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Parcells said he left because the game was taking too much of a toll on him at 67.. The playoff loss to Seattle took too much out of him and he didn't want to feel that way any more.

Unless you have some sort of special insight that he was lying, I don't see why we should believe the fan version that it was because of Jerry's meddling over the man's own words.

“All you got to do is kick a field goal, the most elementary of plays, and then you just don’t do it. And so I don’t want to go through that process again. Too much blood,” Parcells said.

“That Seattle game … that had a real mental affect on me,” Parcells says, referring to the Cowboys’ 21-20 loss to the Seahawks in the 2006 NFC Wild Card round. “I really thought we had a chance to do something. And not only with Seattle, but Chicago the next week. I just thought we had a chance. That one beat me up a little bit.”

Not long after that game, Parcells decided to hang it up, citing a lack of desire to continue, especially with the finish in Seattle still fresh on his mind.

“I was just really upset and saddened by that last game,” Parcells says. “I just didn’t want to try to do it again. I know from coaching all these years, if you’re not mentally geared up for it – it’s hard enough to do it anyway, but if you don’t get really into it, it’s impossible. I just thought enough was enough.”

To this day, Parcells still admits he has a few “what-if” moments about leaving the Cowboys after the 2006 season, particularly since they went 13-3 the following year under Wade Phillips.

“I’d say there were some times where I thought to myself, ‘I should’ve tried one more time,’” Parcells remembers. “With that group we had, maybe we could’ve done something more. I don’t know. But I just thought at the time it was the right decision to walk away.”
Believe what you will. My interpretation was Jerry’s meddling ran Bill off before the job was done.

willia451

Reaction score
I'm just going to wait and see what happens. No matter, Jerry will still be owner and GM. So you start off in a huge hole right off the bat. I just don't see Jerry ever giving up player transactions, having input into the draft, having input into game plans, and hiring and firing coaches while he's still breathing. So the new HC will have to deal with all that somehow. A hard row to hoe. Nobody has been able to have success with it yet.

But hey. At least we'll most likely get this part:

d9gDyyt.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the mother of all big splashes would be the GOAT, bill belichick. bill began having problems with brady a few years ago because of tom's insistence he have his own trainer, bringing his trainer to practice sessions, having the trainer fly on the team jet to away games and even to the point of trying to enlist other players to go with his own trainer. all to the chagrin of bill. belichick saw the inevitability that brady was nearing 40, his skills would begin to diminish (as they are now) and he would need a new qb to lead the pats. he drafted the man who broke all of romo's records at his alma mater, jimmy Garoppolo. when brady got injured/suspended, Garoppolo most ably filled in for tom. bill knew his heir apparent was on the roster. but tom could not tolerate any perceivably threat to his stature and desire to coach well into his 40s. so much so he petitioned owner Robert kraft to do something about it. kraft then directe bill to seek a trade for Garoppolo. bill was furious that his qb and even the owner would put him in this position, so in anger he all but gave Garoppolo away for next to nothing to the 49ers. the rest is etched in stone. not likely he will ever get over this betrayal after all he'd done for the pats organization. what better way to get his revenge than to sign up to coach the team owned by jerral wayne jones? talk about dishes best served cold.
He would be the last on my list, mainly because he's the powerful HC with the roster in the NFL and that's the reason he chose NE over NYJ. I can't see Booger giving up everything again just because he and Kraft don't like each other.

I could see Belichick walking but he would have to have the same level of control and some other owners would give him that. Hell, Lurie gave that to Chip Kelly. Booger is never going back down that road again.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Believe what you will. My interpretation was Jerry’s meddling ran Bill off before the job was done.
I think interjecting Owens into the equation took it's toll but I think the frustration and realization that the tail was going to be wagging the dog led him and Johnson to hang it up. The most frustrating thing I saw Parcells dealing with were the penalties that just kept reoccuring.

I wonder how guys like Lombardi, Landry, Grant and Noll would deal with today's NFL, it's the players' game, not the coaches any longer. Johnson and Parcells were throwbacks, winning through intimidation and in today's league of 100M contracts, that will not work. The NBA went that way and the NFL and MLB followed.

cern

Reaction score
He would be the last on my list, mainly because he's the powerful HC with the roster in the NFL and that's the reason he chose NE over NYJ. I can't see Booger giving up everything again just because he and Kraft don't like each other.

I could see Belichick walking but he would have to have the same level of control and some other owners would give him that. Hell, Lurie gave that to Chip Kelly. Booger is never going back down that road again.
human nature is what it is. men die. grudges do not.

cern

Reaction score
Better to go to NYJ or MIA to settle that grudge and make Kraft look at him every year, twice a year.
neither would be the splash that would be made going to the cowboys. probably brady's last year. and if bill chooses to leave, too, the pats will be a mess. if the point is to prove you're the goat, what better venue than one that hasn't sniffed the big dance in 25+ years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think interjecting Owens into the equation took it's toll but I think the frustration and realization that the tail was going to be wagging the dog led him and Johnson to hang it up. The most frustrating thing I saw Parcells dealing with were the penalties that just kept reoccuring.

I wonder how guys like Lombardi, Landry, Grant and Noll would deal with today's NFL, it's the players' game, not the coaches any longer. Johnson and Parcells were throwbacks, winning through intimidation and in today's league of 100M contracts, that will not work. The NBA went that way and the NFL and MLB followed.
The NFL in Cap era has been a more talent driven league. But coaching still matters in assembling or having an eye for talent and then building the chemistry placing them in best position for success.

The biggest difference is managing the ever revolving door of talent with Cap and why coaching tenures are usually shorter.

The good news is it’s easier to turn it around not needing the 4 or 5 years it used to and it’s more difficult to maintain the stronger teams they’re trying to overcome.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

It cuts down on your credibility when you choose to believe what you want without evidence instead of the man's own words. It makes you one of those people who just sees what he wants to see. I don't like Jones as a GM, but I'm not going to make up "conspiracies" just to support my dislike.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/N...ason-Bill-Parcells-Left-Dallas-496450001.html

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...cells-perception-of-jerry-jones-is-distorted/

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It cuts down on your credibility when you choose to believe what you want without evidence instead of the man's own words. It makes you one of those people who just sees what he wants to see. I don't like Jones as a GM, but I'm not going to make up "conspiracies" just to support my dislike.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/N...ason-Bill-Parcells-Left-Dallas-496450001.html

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...cells-perception-of-jerry-jones-is-distorted/
Do you believe everything public figures say?

I suppose you believe everything Jerry tells us too? Lol

And I’m not making up anything. My theories are based on recent history and trends. And conclusions others in the media, critics and fans have arrived at.