The commisioner can overturn the result of a game if there is an eggregious enough error

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Willfully ignoring an obvious pass interference... you don't think that causes chaos?

But setting the game right, and doing the RIGHT thing... that's a problem, hmmm?

No, there was no chaos, and even so, how do you prove that it was willfully, and if you went that path how would you justify not overturning every game in which there was a bad call that might have affected the outcome, and how could you hand the game to the Saints without any consideration for the fact that even if the chances were slim, there was still at least a chance the Rams could have held on a goal line stand?

Ultimately the rule was not intended to deal with missed calls by officials, it was meant to deal with influences outside what happens on the field During the normal course of a game.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
"Rule 17, Section 2, Article 3: “The Commissioner’s powers under this Section 2 include . . . the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.”

Basically, the Commissioner has the power to turn back time to the spot of the penalty that wasn’t called, put the teams back on the field from that point in the game, give the Saints first and goal at the spot of the foul, put 1:49 on the clock, and let the game proceed, tied at 20, with the Rams having one time out left."
This would open a huge can of worms.

CCBoy

Reaction score
As if the Player's Association is going to lie still for the Commissioner, in effect, saying that he has an ineffective group of officials that are calling games deep into the playoffs...and making calls himself. DUH!

Birdgang

Reaction score
Willfully ignoring an obvious pass interference... you don't think that causes chaos?

But setting the game right, and doing the RIGHT thing... that's a problem, hmmm?

not nearly as bad as opening the pandora box of redoing games ..... Where does it stop ? WHo chooses what games are important ? Just post season ? Then why not games that prevented people into post seaosn ..... then why not games that put you into first place of division .... Player injuries are bad as it is .... How would you feel if you lost Zeke for good because you had to replay to Eagles game because of missed calls ? Then to boot lose division and no post season ?

GenoT

Reaction score
I actually think. Doing this, after of course a thorough explanation that it rises to an extraordinary level, could benefit the viewership. It would show that integrity still matters. Particularly at a time in this country where integrity has been forsaken. I bet it would bring a record crowd. And imagine if LA managed to still win, but legitimately?! The viewership would be off the charts.
A noble idea, but it ain’t gonna happen...this time, anyway.

nathanlt

Reaction score
not nearly as bad as opening the pandora box of redoing games ..... Where does it stop ? WHo chooses what games are important ? Just post season ? Then why not games that prevented people into post seaosn ..... then why not games that put you into first place of division .... Player injuries are bad as it is .... How would you feel if you lost Zeke for good because you had to replay to Eagles game because of missed calls ? Then to boot lose division and no post season ?

Doing the right thing is always better than getting it wrong. The league created the problem, they must correct it. Because right now,

THE SUPER BOWL THEY CREATED IS WORTHLESS AND UNWATCHABLE!!!

THE NFL IS NOW WORTHLESS AND UNWATCHABLE!!!

Is that preferable to getting it right?

Birdgang

Reaction score
If the officials miss all of those obvious penalties, they should lose their jobs.

how about stop changing the rules every season .... or even stop making it next to impossible to call a game. I cant be only one that remembers good old school football where people ****ed each other up. You cant have your cake and eat it too..... maybe its just the way the world is becoming

Birdgang

Reaction score
Doing the right thing is always better than getting it wrong. The league created the problem, they must correct it. Because right now,

THE SUPER BOWL THEY CREATED IS WORTHLESS AND UNWATCHABLE!!!

you should look into the history of the world to show you that is untrue ..... SO many times people trying to do the right thing became worse .

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Why would he do that? They wanted the rams in the sb. New location building a new stadium. They gotta bring attention and revenue to it!

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
No, there was no chaos, and even so, how do you prove that it was willfully, and if you went that path how would you justify not overturning every game in which there was a bad call that might have affected the outcome, and how could you hand the game to the Saints without any consideration for the fact that even if the chances were slim, there was still at least a chance the Rams could have held on a goal line stand?

Ultimately the rule was not intended to deal with missed calls by officials, it was meant to deal with influences outside what happens on the field During the normal course of a game.
You don't "hand the game to the Saint's". The game would not be overturned etc. It would be continued at the point of the non call. Niether team would be benefited by doing this. And the reason would be because it was extraordinary circumstances. Not because of an error, but to avert the possibility that it was allowed to happen. To remove doubt that the game was "fixed".

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
If it was fixed them there will be a money trail somewhere. If somebody finds it I will acknowledge it, until then it's all just venting.
Was it a bad call. Hell yeah. They happen all the time sadly. Not at that importance level but all the time nonetheless.
I'm not going to get into the societal integrity because it will lead down a non football path...
But you don't need proof. The "appearance" of impropriety is the thing you are addressing. This allows people to trust in the validity of what they are watching. This is why the sports betting institutions immediately returned the bets on this game, because it is too problematic. You lose nothing by continuing the game at that point. You gain everything, no matter the result. .

Birdgang

Reaction score
It is never wrong to do the right thing.

Its never wrong " to want to" , but its not always the right thing or best thing to do. As a 4th generation, Jarhead trust me , My family and I have seen our share .... and thats a small example. It just opens the flood gates ... where do you stop then. They need to simplify the rules and put less in the hands of the refs on field..... its a fast game , you can miss something in a blink of an eye.

There was someone that posted a great thread on refs here like a month ago ..... it explained pretty much spot on why a ref might be in the area of something but he has no say in a call even if it was next to him. The ref has to try and get so much right because everything is way to technical .... goes beyond whats a catch , targeting, PI , DPI , out of bounds , hands to face , push off , illegal contact ..;... ect ect .... its too dam much

Last edited:

RD21

Reaction score
Holy Cow. I haven't seen such whining like in the last 24hrs, in a loooong time. Wow. I've read multiple posters on this very forum, "Only losers whine about the refs". There were PLENTY of missed calls in the playoffs. Several that went against us, & quite possibly changed the outcome. It's part of the game. Don't leave it to that chance is what most people say......

It would be a HUGE mistake to change the outcome of this game, I don't care what the rule says. If you replay this, why not replay 4th & goal the week before...? The holding on that play was disgraceful, & don't tell me it didn't or couldn't have changed the outcome because if they don't score there, the outcome is in doubt.

Bottom line is, refs make mistakes. It happens. Nearly every one of those mistakes can, & sometimes does change the outcome of games. It's part of the game. Good teams overcome it.....lol

Don't worry, the Rams are gonna get spanked by the Pats in 2 weeks.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Let's say he does this and both teams line up on the field next Sunday to play out the final 1:49. Then let's say the Saints shank a game-winning FG and the game goes into overtime. Should they be able to play out the overtime (again) or should the Rams be awarded the victory since they already won in overtime?