The commisioner can overturn the result of a game if there is an eggregious enough error

InTheZone

Reaction score
Interesting. I think this would only ever be invoked in the case of blatant cheating, a ball exploding on contact, or alien abduction, but it's nice to know it can happen. Just don't tell Goodell.
He'll never do something like that unless Dallas was going to win the Super Bowl, so we won't see this ever while he's alive or employed by the NFL.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
This type of rule isn't meant to be invoked unless something absolutely, LUDICROUSLY unfair happens. Something like the Rams hiring a hundred fans to suddenly leap out on to the playing field and tackle a Saints ballcarrier who is en route to the end zone in overtime.

A mere missed pass interference call doesn't even come remotely close to qualifying, especially since New Orleans still had plenty of chances to win the game after the officiating error.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I'll watch any sb the stealers arent in. Its the only game left after the cc games. Then theres the 8 month wait. Will be going for the Pat's though. Rams shouldnt be there.

BoysWin

Reaction score
You do realize that play was about to continue until Green Bay challenged the play, right? Should replay officials have refused to review the play? Fan logic. Lol.

Exactly, even Dean Blandino had no idea what a catch was. It’s all xxxxed up, GOODELL and Blandino have ruined the NFL

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Again, it was NOT decided on the field.
Pretty good setup then to know Saints would get down that far, have a random Ram player hit him so obviously PI on a 3rd down play just so a reg can not call it?! :huh:

Nah I think it is best to avoid any conspiracy theorist scenarios and go with obvious which is never want front office to be able to change results of a game

CCBoy

Reaction score
At the money that the Commissioner sucks up, one just doesn't 'boy up.'

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Referee Bill Vinovich gave this statement to the pool reporter after the Rams-Saints game: “It was a judgment call by the covering official. I personally have not seen the play.’’

Just another example of how poorly the NFL handles situations. That is from the lead ref that was specifically sent to answer questions after the game. Even after the game, he still hadn't seen the play, is he serious, is he stalling waiting for the league to get their story straight or just incompetent? Everything around that play was handled poorly, one ref told the DB the ball was tipped at the LOS, 2 penalties but neither called, then lead ref after the game saying he hadn't even seen the play. And these are supposed to be the best refs "officiating" the games. How much is on the refs and how much is on how the NFL wants them to officiate the games?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I actually think. Doing this, after of course a thorough explanation that it rises to an extraordinary level, could benefit the viewership. It would show that integrity still matters. Particularly at a time in this country where integrity has been forsaken. I bet it would bring a record crowd. And imagine if LA managed to still win, but legitimately?! The viewership would be off the charts.

Unfortunately, so would the backlash. If you were to do this, then you open yourself up to endless investigation on the state of the game and the NFLs ability to actually preside over their own product. The NFL could lose control and that is their biggest fear. Never gonna happen IMO.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I actually think. Doing this, after of course a thorough explanation that it rises to an extraordinary level, could benefit the viewership. It would show that integrity still matters. Particularly at a time in this country where integrity has been forsaken. I bet it would bring a record crowd. And imagine if LA managed to still win, but legitimately?! The viewership would be off the charts.

Problem is, you'd be worsening the integrity because now a 16-game season becomes a 20- or 22-game season after teams demand more and more games replayed and replayed. At a certain point it utterly undermines the certainty and quality of the outcome. It basically rewards the loudest-whining fanbase.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
I'm ju
Problem is, you'd be worsening the integrity because now a 16-game season becomes a 20- or 22-game season after teams demand more and more games replayed and replayed. At a certain point it utterly undermines the certainty and quality of the outcome. It basically rewards the loudest-whining fanbase.
This is not about fan bases etc. This is about if something is bad enough to step in and correct it. It is the league recognizing that the threat of impropriety it high enough to do something extraordinary. It is in fact why the rule is there. But oh well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm ju

This is not about fan bases etc. This is about if something is bad enough to step in and correct it. It is the league recognizing that the threat of impropriety it high enough to do something extraordinary. It is in fact why the rule is there. But oh well.

Error and impropriety are not the same thing. Error is easy to prove. Impropriety is not. There is no way to prove anything other than referee error, and if you change things based on referee error, you can't justify not doing it any other time there is referee error in any game.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I can see it now. Prior to kick off, the refs were huddled up in their locker room discussing exactly the right moment to not throw a flag. "Hey, guys. Let's wait until there is about a minute and a half left and NO has the ball driving to end the game. Let's intentionally not call pass interference in order for the Rams to win in OT." Line Judge says, "Yeah, we should definitely do that! I hope that exact scenario happens so we can screw over an entire fan base and possible get ourselves killed trying to leave New Orleans!"

:facepalm::facepalm:

ICP

Reaction score
Worst non-call i've ever seen. I'll do my own little protest and not watch the game. Not really any interest anyway, between the Patriots again and having to stomach all the slimey band wagon Lamb fans(Buncha fair weather, no loyalty fans that haven't been rooting for the team for more than two years max) I really couldn't care less. I live in SoCal and its actually funny that there has been no home team for so long and now all of a sudden after three years SoCal has one in the Super Bowl and still other than a handful of bandwagoners nobody cares. You still see tons of people wearing Raider gear but hardly any wearing any Ram stuff. I really hope the Patriots absolutely obliterate them.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
Error and impropriety are not the same thing. Error is easy to prove. Impropriety is not. There is no way to prove anything other than referee error, and if you change things based on referee error, you can't justify not doing it any other time there is referee error in any game.
This is not about proof, but appearances. You are not awarding the game to New Orleans. No one is losing anything. In fact, I am guessing the Rams would agree. You are simply making use of a safety net to avert the possibility of impropriety.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
I can see it now. Prior to kick off, the refs were huddled up in their locker room discussing exactly the right moment to not throw a flag. "Hey, guys. Let's wait until there is about a minute and a half left and NO has the ball driving to end the game. Let's intentionally not call pass interference in order for the Rams to win in OT." Line Judge says, "Yeah, we should definitely do that! I hope that exact scenario happens so we can screw over an entire fan base and possible get ourselves killed trying to leave New Orleans!"

:facepalm::facepalm:
The one guy would have been paid off. It is not a conspiracy. In the history of modern sports it has happened many times. Have you heard of steroids? Or the many scandals involving cheating? With so much money you expect this and you do things to avert it. Enacting the rule averts any potential cheating and scandal. You don't wait until afterwards when it is too late, you nip it in the bud. That is why the rule exists.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That is not how fixing works. Have you heard of the black sox scandal? Or why Pete Rose is not in the HOF. The refs are told to make it happen. They are supposed to try to cover their trail. That is why this is interesting. Because it is so obvious. They were running out of time and picked a whopper. The fact they are taking so long to make an official statement leads me to believe they are quite concerned. It was just too obvious.

Yeah, I'm aware of the black sox scandal and why Pete Rose isn't in the hall of fame, and neither of them have anything to do with refs or umpires. Both came about as a result of choices made by the players/managers.

The fact that you have no evidence to support your conspiracy is also obvious. A blown call, no matter how ridiculous, is not prima facie evidence of a plot to manipulate the outcome of a game.

The one guy would have been paid off. It is not a conspiracy..

conspiracy - An agreement between two or more people to commit an illegal act, along with an intent to achieve the agreement's goal.