The Conspiracy Theories of Romo and the Cowboys

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's my prediction somebody'll get desperate and Tony will be back in football by game 3 ironically he'll only last about three games but that's my prediction

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think we're overthinking it. He doesn't want to play for anyone other than Dallas. He's accepted the fact that his football days might be over. He loves the game and wants to stay around in some fashion. So he'll be a commentator and answer if ever Dallas calls.

17796568_1274809105970634_2816526408436861995_n.png

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Correct they own his rights.
DAL can carry him on the 90 day roster or even on the Failure to Report exemption until after June 1st

Then they officially file the retirement papers.......DAL keeps his rights and agree not to pursue any signing bonus money

DFWJC

Reaction score
Thats just it, we DONT know that Romo wanted to play elswhere.
Its looking more and more as though the delays all along where him making up his mind.

It explains why he kept having meetings with Jerry and continuing to say (to Jerry) there's no rush.

This fits completely with what his wife wants too, btw.:laugh:

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
1. The Texans got too cute because they wanted something for nothing. It is probable their reluctance to trade for Romo had as much to do with their desire to negotiate a contract that offered them protection against an injury. It's understandable, but competing to be a champion entails being willing to take some risks. The signal to Romo could well have been "we don't believe in you that much; not enough to risk a draft pick or your current contract."
2. The Broncos probably are content to go with their young QBs. Again they would have probably jumped in at a "low risk," but the signal to Romo is the same.
3. Any other unidentified teams with interest maybe were in the same "low risk" mode, or Romo simply didn't want to play for them.
4. The networks apparently see Romo as a potential superstar.
5. It seems to me that rather than "doing wrong" where Romo was concerned, Jones was actually providing him protection to weigh options and judge teams' true interest and commitment. Had Jones released Romo earlier, he would have been pressed to make a decision he might have not been ready to make -- and any hesitation would have been interpreted as a sign of a lack of commitment. Jones bought Romo time to make a decision and took the bullet for him by being painted as the villain in the play.
6. Romo is one of my all-time favorites, a tough, talented, stand-up guy who might be the most underappreciated athlete in my memory. He prevented the Cowboys from being in the QB wilderness for a long, long time. His perceived failures were more often the failures of other players. Taking account of the differences in the modern game, his career rather closely parallels the career of Don Meredith, though Dandy Don certainly played with inferior supporting casts for the first few years of his career. Romo will always have my deep respect. Perhaps like Meredith he will be a superstar in broadcasting.
7. Dak Prescott deserves to be the Cowboys' starting QB and could become one of the great ones. I am a huge supporter.
8. Maybe the story still has another chapter or two. Perhaps the Texans are being conned into stepping up in a significantly more committed manner. But we shall see.
9. Let us all hope Dak is healthy, continues to play great football, and we never need to find out whether Romo would return if needed.
10. Man am I looking forward to the new season.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
I can't find it but there was an article a while back, maybe in December or January, quoting a personal friend who said he didn't think Tony would play again if he couldn't compete for the starting job here. I'm sure he considered it, but ultimately if he can't play here I don't think he wants to play that much. Teams certainly would have been interested once his contract was voided and an incentive laden deal could be structured.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
The vast majority of posters on this board are mentally deranged/handicapped.

That's my conspiracy theory.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
This is the biggest con of all time by Jones. He's forcing teams to call him today

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is the biggest con of all time by Jones. He's forcing teams to call him today

I would not be surprised to see the Texans buckle and might even be on the phones now. Smith is getting ripped in Houston for blowing this :laugh:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I think it is a plan between Jerry and Romo since no other team willing to make a trade ( they ain't getting him that easy)

CBS wants someone younger to relate to today's fan ...he is a Cowboys ($$ many fan out there to watch).. he can be the color commentator for golf ...and on top of it .. he is a good friend with Jim Nantz
last he could go back and join the cowboys if ever needed .
that is my 2¢