The Cost of Not Signing Dak (lengthy)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What about the cost to signing Dak and the big hit to the team salary cap? No thanks.
we have 7 of the largest position contracts on our team. so it didn't stop us from having those type of contracts, with Dak in the books for 32M this year...

and what are you going to do with the cap space by not signing Dak? who are you going to sign that would be better than Dak or equal? how much do they cost? which defensive players will you sign? how much do they cost? will those defensive signing be a net positive if the QB play is worse than it would be with Dak?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
we have 7 of the largest position contracts on our team. so it didn't stop us from having those type of contracts, with Dak in the books for 32M this year...

and what are you going to do with the cap space by not signing Dak? who are you going to sign that would be better than Dak or equal? how much do they cost? which defensive players will you sign? how much do they cost? will those defensive signing be a net positive if the QB play is worse than it would be with Dak?

I can assure you he doesn't put that much thought into it. he's got about three or four canned arguments that he'll regurgitate why Dak doesn't deserve x amount of money and that's about it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think he's Alex Smith.

McNabb was a difference maker on the field for several years. Dak's just a guy on the field.
Dak is a top 10 QB. not according to you, but we know your opinion about Mahomes and Watson.

Dak has been the top passer since we acquired Cooper.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's good to see other fans that pay attention to trends and have the ability to separate themselves from being a fan and knowing what is best for the team.

I wish our management had that capability.
they call them middle of the pack, because well, there is a lot of them...Dak being a top 10 QB doesn't make him middle of the pack....know the difference.

and Dalton is not even middle of the pack. he is now officially a bottom feeder....so he is also out of the question unless we want to tank. then he would be our best option

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nope.

Good offense beats great defense, and you aren't going to play bad offenses all the way through the playoffs. Last years 9ers should put that theory to rest. They got the Chiefs' B- effort and still lost by 11.
I think balance is key. if you are going to win with average QB play, you better have a damn good defense....Ravens did it. with Dilfer.....but they had 3, maybe 4 HOFers they drafted on the team. Denver did it with Peyton after his surgery when he obviously wasn't the old manning, they had 3 HOFers and quite a few really good among the best in the league defensive players....but there is a reason that's been done only 2 times in the past 25 years....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
you act as if belichick never opened up the offense and go for junk yards and the like.

when Brady had Moss he had one of the best individual passing seasons in NFL history.

of course they hate to praise on them because of all the wins but that doesn't mean that it's not a team game.

Cam Newton got an MVP because he won a bunch of games. Do you think you really deserved it?

No, you act like that is how you want to frame this discussion. I never said anything like that, you did. I said that if Dak played for Belichick, he wouldn't have the stats he has now. I shouldn't have to tell you to pay attention but once again, I do. The stats that were offered were from Dak's first four years and Brady's first four years. Please, remind us all when Moss came to New England. But even so, even in that best year where he actually had a WR, he never threw for 5K.

Cam Newton has nothing, at all, to do with this. Hell, he may not even be in New England next year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
so you are suggesting we should go into tank mode?

They want to allow their franchise quarterback who is very productive go and rely on the draft and free agency to replace him while thinking that spending premium assets on the defense is going to lead us to the promised land.

It's exactly what Dan Snyder and the Commanders have done. The average Dallas fan seems to be dumber than Dan Snyder because Prescott is better than cousins on pretty much every metric.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree with this. I am a Dak guy but I think they have too many holes and him going us not a 0 pct probability. I am very interested to see if Fields is available what they will do.
which holes? how are you going to address them? FA? and whom? and how much they cost?

Fields is another QB that most probably will fail in the NFL. being surronded by some of the absolute best talent in college. in a big time program. the last few QBs out of OSU have amounted to a hill of beans...so he is most probably next in line.

and I guess from now until next year, everyone becomes a QB evaluation guru and will swear by this QB and that QB. 4 out of 5 first round QBs fail.....so probability of Fields failing is much higher than succeeding. IMO he is quite over rated.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They want to allow their franchise quarterback who is very productive go and rely on the draft and free agency to replace him while thinking that spending premium assets on the defense is going to lead us to the promised land.

It's exactly what Dan Snyder and the Commanders have done. The average Dallas fan seems to be dumber than Dan Snyder because Prescott is better than cousins on pretty much every metric.

Well, at least the average fan seems to be smarter then you. I mean, there is that right?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No, you act like that is how you want to frame this discussion. I never said anything like that, you did. I said that if Dak played for Belichick, he wouldn't have the stats he has now. I shouldn't have to tell you to pay attention but once again, I do. The stats that were offered were from Dak's first four years and Brady's first four years. Please, remind us all when Moss came to New England. But even so, even in that best year where he actually had a WR, he never threw for 5K.

Cam Newton has nothing, at all, to do with this. Hell, he may not even be in New England next year.

Cam Newton one MVP on the basis of his winning percentage. That has everything to do with the discussion in hand even if you can't see it.

my point was that if belichick were to take over this team he would open up the offense because he has a whole lot of wide receiver talent. My point was that he has done so before as evidence.

I was actually trying to discuss what it would be like if Prescott played for belichick. I don't even want to bother trying to guess what you're thinking.

cern

Reaction score
I guess I could see it if Dak were able to dominate this poor division and it's poor QBs. Because if you remember those early 2000s Reid/McNabb Eagles while they were good, they still kinda took advantage of a weak/poor NFC East during that time.
Very similar to now.
So if Dak could distance himself from these other 3 current divisional QBs with superior performance, I could see it.
Jones, Hurts/Wentz and ? for WFT as QBs don't have DCs shaking in their boots.

But yeah, Daks ceiling may be Mcnabb you may be right.
The operative word being andy Reid. Great coach.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
More like rebuild mode. They wasted the window they had.
to rebuild you need to be bad, get high draft picks several years in a row.....in order to rebuild you need to tank. trade away your good pieces and accumulate draft picks.

we got the 10th pick because Dak got injured (first time in his career missing games). defense was HISTORICALLY bad under nolan. and we got Dalton to get us down to 10th pick.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cam Newton one MVP on the basis of his winning percentage. That has everything to do with the discussion in hand even if you can't see it.

my point was that if belichick were to take over this team he would open up the offense because he has a whole lot of wide receiver talent. My point was that he has done so before as evidence.

I was actually trying to discuss what it would be like if Prescott played for belichick. I don't even want to bother trying to guess what you're thinking.

Again, what does Cam Newton have to do with anything? But it's wise of you not to try and think. I'm fairly certain the smoke would cause you a headache.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
to rebuild you need to be bad, get high draft picks several years in a row.....in order to rebuild you need to tank. trade away your good pieces and accumulate draft picks.

we got the 10th pick because Dak got injured (first time in his career missing games). defense was HISTORICALLY bad under nolan. and we got Dalton to get us down to 10th pick.
Then get bad if that is what it takes. We aren’t winning with or without Dak in the near future.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Well, at least the average fan seems to be smarter then you. I mean, there is that right?

When I laid out my basis for the average fans lack of intelligence it had basis to it.

If you're going to try to call me stupid you're going to have to do a lot better than that for it to be meaningful to me.

Really all I get from this is is that you took what I said personally for some reason and are trying to do a tit for tat. Juvenile frankly.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Again, what does Cam Newton have to do with anything? But it's wise of you not to try and think. I'm fairly certain the smoke would cause you a headache.

The explanation is the first sentence of the post.

The point I'm making is that winning percentage is an awful metric for evaluating quarterback play.