The Cowboys are better than last year, The Eagles are worse

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It's not hope and it has nothing to do with Jerry. We are better at CB2. WR2, and DT. Zero doubt. Hope would be saying Jalen Carter basically replaces their best defensive player in his rookie year.
We'll see in another year. Because it always ends the same way. Talk is cheap. And all this team does is talk.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We upgraded our biggest weaknesses last year -- DT, WR2 and CB2.

The Eagles? They got Jalen Carter, who will not replace Hargraves production for at least a couple years. And Nolan Smith, who is a duplicate of Reddick. You're not playing two 235 DE at the same time.

Meanwhile, they lost both starting safeties, their best linebacker, their best starting guard. Both coordinators. Five key players for them are over 33 (Slay, Cox, Johnson, Kelce, and Graham). Hargraves was their best D player, the entire glue. They have 2.25 wide receivers, one who could break in a strong wind. Their QB got paid.

AND, the Georgia stuff just might be too cute. Get a bunch of young, immature players who are bros from college and bring them to big city. Tell them they are Super Bowl locks. Heap praise on the Eagles all off season. Recipe meet disaster. Not to mention the history of Super Bowl losers.

They still have a great roster. But so do we. Best one since the 90s. We're better today than last year. And the Eagles are worse, despite what Steven A. Smith and Colin Cowturd and Chandler Random say
good post, Mickey chap!
Keep whistling past the gravy yard.
Bottom line, they have Hurts, we have ... Deek.

Mannix

Reaction score
Like I said a few days ago....we may match up well head to head with the Eagles, but we need to worry about the other 15 games both of us play....because we have NO SHOT at anything going the Wild Card path.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This is the offseason when all are allowed puffery and braggadochio.
I bet even in Arizona, tyhe fans are saying we upgraded big, bigger than the 49ers!
LOL
Funny, lovable chaps all!
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJs2HWm3SAst8fmBO8C4Nup9qxYoN7ExF4fQ&usqp=CAU

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I read something about phil HC , he was taking credit for play calling, till he had to be out a week due to covid, and said then
it was actually shane the OC and him collaborating on play calling, and that shane is the one calling them in to qb.
He later gave shane more credit, but that could be why Shane left to go to colts.

So I wonder if with new OC will nick still be taking credit for play calling lol. May depend on how the offense does.
If bad then new OC is play caller, if good, then nick is calling them lol.

cnuball21

Reaction score
They have lost a few guys in FA but they’ve also planned for that in the draft. They have a 2nd year DT, G and LBr that were early picks in the 22 draft and have a blue chip DT to plug in from this year.

They’re playing chess in the draft and we’re playing checkers.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
IMO, it's a big stretch to say that the Cowboys are now better and the Eagles are worse. The Eagles addressed all their needs. If their moves work out, they'll be a much improved team over last year, and they were the NFC Champions. Of course, that "if" is a huge "if." Right after a draft, and right after the offseason, it's impossible to know how well a teams moves will work out. That's determined on the field, and no game has been played yet this season. Every Eagles move could tank. How many "dream teams" have we had that ended up stinking?

However, just because the Eagles' offseason moves could very well tank, I don't know that I would put money on that. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't put a big pile of money down on the Eagles stinking up the place. My best guess (and this is a guess; I don't know for sure) is that the Eagles will be a good team this season, probably a really formidable one.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I read something about phil HC , he was taking credit for play calling, till he had to be out a week due to covid, and said then
it was actually shane the OC and him collaborating on play calling, and that shane is the one calling them in to qb.
He later gave shane more credit, but that could be why Shane left to go to colts.

So I wonder if with new OC will nick still be taking credit for play calling lol. May depend on how the offense does.
If bad then new OC is play caller, if good, then nick is calling them lol.
Not sure where you read that, but it’s ridiculous. About mid way through 2021 Sirianni gave the play calling duties to Steichen willingly…it was his idea. The Eagles were struggling and this was Hurts first year as a starter. Sirianni has never tried to take credit for play calling since. They are close friends and there is no animosity. He took the Colts job because, well, who wouldn’t want to be promoted and get their own team.

Steichen just dialed back a pass heavy attack and the Eagles became a run heavy team late in 2021. 2022 success had much to do with the addition of AJ Brown, and mainly Hurts improvement…and better health.

The Eagles will miss Steichen, but Johnson has been with the Eagles since 2021 and was Hurts QB coach. He knows him well enough…he’s not an addition from another team. And I expect them to keep things pretty much the same, with the addition of more production out of the backfield in the passing game due to better personnel for that purpose. Both Penny and Swift are better receivers than Sanders

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yesterday even the usual biased Philly ESPN group, said Dallas drafted well and in FA filled holes and gaps and improved to close that gap.

And that some and fans do not want to see that, because Dallas' draft was not SEXY like some claim the Eagles' draft was.

Dallas did what they felt was needed to improve as a team, and looks to have done so.

Yes Philly does well, but so does Dallas. Too bad some of our own fans will never give them credit. They also said there are not a lot of holes in the Dallas team. RB, maybe OL depending health, but that can be said about every team.

I would bet if many fans were to look at all teams rosters, they would act like they have great depth and especially on the OL, but yet never heard of half of the starters even.
But yet they can say ... our guys suck .... regardless.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Potential is there. 3 TE's that can be productive if Schoonmaker works out. The other 2 will be more productive with Schiltz gone. We seen what they can do. As there was not a huge drop off between them and Schultz. Even McKeon is very limited playing time looked decent.

As I said Philly drop off was very noticeable without Goedert.
Only Philly homers would think otherwise, or a Dallas fan being a contrarian as not to look like a homer. And for a Dallas fan to say this, is not being a homer IMO.
There isn’t much drop off because none of them are anything more than average TE’s. Hendershot and Ferguson are both 4.8 40 guys that are TE2‘s. Schoonmaker is a better athlete and projects as a 1 if he turns out. He definitely didn’t have a ton of production in college but that doesn’t mean as much at TE as some other positions IMO.

The Eagles back-ups are on par with Hendershot and Ferguson, just a bit faster and a bit lighter. Goedert is an established top tier TE. I‘d take that over a couple back-up level players and a rookie.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
The biggest thing with the Eagles IMO is 1) Injuries. They got VERY lucky last season. Penny and Swift are both IR spots waiting to happen. When they started losing players, they stopped looking like a juggernaut. 2) They have a first place schedule. I think people really underestimate how playing nobodies all year made them look a lot better than they were.
People love to roll out the schedule nonsense. The “easy schedule” was based on ‘21 win totals. Their actual strength of schedule based on the W/L record of the teams played was middle of the pack. Dallas was within two spots so it wasn’t a huge difference.

The lack of injuries was huge for them last year. That’s not the norm so I’d expect to lose some starters at some point.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not sure where you read that, but it’s ridiculous. About mid way through 2021 Sirianni gave the play calling duties to Steichen willingly…it was his idea. The Eagles were struggling and this was Hurts first year as a starter. Sirianni has never tried to take credit for play calling since. They are close friends and there is no animosity. He took the Colts job because, well, who wouldn’t want to be promoted and get their own team.

Steichen just dialed back a pass heavy attack and the Eagles became a run heavy team late in 2021. 2022 success had much to do with the addition of AJ Brown, and mainly Hurts improvement…and better health.

The Eagles will miss Steichen, but Johnson has been with the Eagles since 2021 and was Hurts QB coach. He knows him well enough…he’s not an addition from another team. And I expect them to keep things pretty much the same, with the addition of more production out of the backfield in the passing game due to better personnel for that purpose. Both Penny and Swift are better receivers than Sanders
Just being in the organization doesn't mean there will be a seamless transition. Plus being a QB coach and calling plays in the NFL is big shift in responsibilities. Will he have a feel for the flow of a game, for example? Will he show tendencies that DCs will pick up on? That's not to say he won't end up being a really good OC, but he's an unknown at the NFL Level and just because he's been with Philly since 2021 doesn't mean much.

Penny is a better receiver than Sanders? Based on what?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Ignoring injuries and anything completely unexpected, the Cowboys definitely got better (two big trades) and the Eagles definitely got worse (5 players left via FA that are expected to start on new teams). I don’t think either of those is arguable to an objective person. Was either enough to close the gap is the bigger question seeing as the Eagles were quite a bit better last year. As we sit here today you still need to give the nod to the Eagles IMO, but that’s why they play the game for real and not on paper…

mcmvp

Reaction score
Just being in the organization doesn't mean there will be a seamless transition. Plus being a QB coach and calling plays in the NFL is big shift in responsibilities. Will he have a feel for the flow of a game, for example? Will he show tendencies that DCs will pick up on? That's not to say he won't end up being a really good OC, but he's an unknown at the NFL Level and just because he's been with Philly since 2021 doesn't mean much.

Penny is a better receiver than Sanders? Based on what?
True - there will be a transition and it may not be smooth. But I do think familiarity helps.

Swift is a better receiver by far. Penny is more of a hunch. He was beginning to be more and more of one in college, but not used that way in Seattle. He had 2 seasons in college where he averaged 15 yards per reception. Reception count wasn't super high, like 15-20 in each season, but I can see the Eagles expanding on that.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The only losses on the Eagles that matter are Hargreaves and Seumalo, but they are massive losses.

Philly's bigger challenge is that they have no depth, and had incredible injury luck last year.

mcmvp

Reaction score
The only losses on the Eagles that matter are Hargreaves and Seumalo, but they are massive losses.

Philly's bigger challenge is that they have no depth, and had incredible injury luck last year.
Lol