CFZ The Cowboys Bring Me No Joy Anymore

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I have a visceral link to the Cowboys since my Grand dad drove me to see my first live game in ‘93.

I do find it’s harder to enjoy football in general with players in social media 24/7 and the Jones circus surrounding the Cowboys but that’s the modern world in general.

Yep, I see what you mean, it all seems to be about the individual and self aggrandizement rather than the team. So long as they're publicizing THEIR efforts and making sure they arent blamed for any mistakes (and that included coaches) the team and the result are secondary concerns.

Proximo

Reaction score
Sad for those who no longer enjoy it.

It really is.
I can only speak for myself, but time is too precious to spend 3 hours of it on a Sunday doing something that brings me no joy.

I don’t revolve my entire Sunday around football but I do watch and enjoy every Cowboys game.
It’s more of a family thing for me as we watch the games together and have a good time, getting into the games, eating some good food. Win or lose, we have fun, and when the game is over we turn it off. If it was a big or exciting win sometimes we’ll watch the highlights.

The moment it stops being fun or enjoyable is the moment I find a new hobby.
But I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Hope others can spend their time doing something more enjoyable if watching the Cowboys isn’t fun for them anymore.

I mean, if you saw a 3 hour movie and didn’t like it, didn’t enjoy it, thought it was a bad movie, you wouldn’t rewatch it every Sunday would you?
That wouldn’t make much sense.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I hate losing more than I enjoy winning.

After we lost to GB, it was the last thing I thought about before falling asleep and the first thing I thought about upon waking up.

Hopefully, tomorrow we get right. It would go a long way towards washing off the funk.
Wow....what an interesting comment. I never thought of it that way but you could be right. Winning feels good for the evening, maybe a "good" feeling into the morning when we check scores and rehash.

But losing...especially like we did against GB...gives me a bitter foul feeling than only slowly trails off into the week. :D

My wife says it's only bad for about 15-20 minutes after...so I wouldn't say it ruins everything. The ship-show funk was heavy and deep after that game!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sad for those who no longer enjoy it.
For me, as I just said....it's usually just some specific moments...like the GB game. I mean if that doesn't hurt ya...maybe you aren't really a cowboys fan.

But of course we are fans. Some can shake it off like "oh well, that was "fun"". Others try to pull the dagger outta their heart...takes a little time. And then...BACK TO IT!

I have said it before....and it's true....if all this generally doesn;t bring you joy and fun....GENERALLY! ...you owe it to yourself...and us...to find something that does.

I just wish the local incessant crusades wouldn't bring people so much joy.

starfan1

Reaction score
For me, as I just said....it's usually just some specific moments...like the GB game. I mean if that doesn't hurt ya...maybe you aren't really a cowboys fan.

But of course we are fans. Some can shake it off like "oh well, that was "fun"". Others try to pull the dagger outta their heart...takes a little time. And then...BACK TO IT!

I have said it before....and it's true....if all this generally doesn;t bring you joy and fun....GENERALLY! ...you owe it to yourself...and us...to find something that does.

I just wish the local incessant crusades wouldn't bring people so much joy.
Fair statement except for the “ maybe you aren’t a cowboys fan remark” no one knows the depth or lack thereof of cowboy fan loyalty unless you make a statement similar to Leebair saying you’re a Vikings fan on a message board

even at the height of success of this team it never had so much of an impact on me that losses demoralized me

that’s just me though and I have enough of this ownership to become less connected than I was

that said it only comes around from august to January and I can be engaged weekly

the gloom and doomers I don’t understand but to each his own

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I just love watching the same results every year. why can't next year, we just go to the draft after preseason? who are we looking at for the next 2 maybe 8 years if we resign the thumbless gimp?
It brings back great memories of Garrett, I miss those years. Well, I miss the start of every new year, it's the same thing as having Garrett back with dak. shrugs. this can't go on forever. well, it probably will next up in your line up is stephen and little pizzaface boy.....

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair statement except for the “ maybe you aren’t a cowboys fan remark” no one knows the depth or lack thereof of cowboy fan loyalty unless you make a statement similar to Leebair saying you’re a Vikings fan on a message board

even at the height of success of this team it never had so much of an impact on me that losses demoralized me

that’s just me though and I have enough of this ownership to become less connected than I was

that said it only comes around from august to January and I can be engaged weekly

the gloom and doomers I don’t understand but to each his own

Except I said "of course we are cowboys fans". You're objection is overruled. :)

I agree man it goes by SO FAST! And so long in between.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We have to wait until the Jones family all dies off I am afraid before we will see any of that change.
if your waiting for that lol you and most of us will be dead too.
when jerry and SJ are dead or retired, then maybe next jones up will hire a real GM.
And the gm will hire a real HC, and he will hire a real OC etc.

maybe some of us live long enough to see that, but there is a chance in remote future.

starfan1

Reaction score
I just love watching the same results every year. why can't next year, we just go to the draft after preseason? who are we looking at for the next 2 maybe 8 years if we resign the thumbless gimp?
It brings back great memories of Garrett, I miss those years. Well, I miss the start of every new year, it's the same thing as having Garrett back with dak. shrugs. this can't go on forever. well, it probably will next up in your line up is stephen and little pizzaface boy.....
And I felt similar when #9 was behind center until 14. That said the problem resides in the press box more than the field

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

That 2002 team finished 5-11, but I loved watching every second of every game.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.
I feel similar, what happened to me is I no longer care if they win or not.
I like to see them make playoffs and then get beat.
I dont want jerry holding up another SB trophy, he doesnt deserve that.

But overall the nfl itself isnt as good as it was in 90's -2007
the rule changes , goodell, diva players that act like children, and are way overpaid.
changes to uniforms, and too much circus in whole nfl, I guess they are copying jerry.

So overall whole nfl is not as good, and cowboys , well people keep drinking the koolaid.
And they keep filling up jerry dome, so he has no reason to change anything he does.
If the stadium was only half full for few years, he might make some changes.

So I still like watching and following cowboys, a circus is fun to watch.
I can enjoy a loss same as a win, maybe more.

I have other teams to root for that might actually get to and win a SB.
Rooting for giants and Seahawks, both are over achieving and complete surprise teams.
will be fun to see how they do in playoffs if they get there.

erod

Reaction score
It really is.
I can only speak for myself, but time is too precious to spend 3 hours of it on a Sunday doing something that brings me no joy.

I don’t revolve my entire Sunday around football but I do watch and enjoy every Cowboys game.
It’s more of a family thing for me as we watch the games together and have a good time, getting into the games, eating some good food. Win or lose, we have fun, and when the game is over we turn it off. If it was a big or exciting win sometimes we’ll watch the highlights.

The moment it stops being fun or enjoyable is the moment I find a new hobby.
But I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Hope others can spend their time doing something more enjoyable if watching the Cowboys isn’t fun for them anymore.

I mean, if you saw a 3 hour movie and didn’t like it, didn’t enjoy it, thought it was a bad movie, you wouldn’t rewatch it every Sunday would you?
That wouldn’t make much sense.
Still enjoy it, but it's nothing like the "event" it once was back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The anticipation and spotlight was so much brighter then.

Now it's like an episode of American Idol. All glitter and little substance. Most players barely care.

The NFL has been castrated in so many ways.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Beautiful. I love the team but to be this upset over an OT regular season loss when you’re 6-3 is nuts to me. Did we expect to go undefeated? To those who say, “but it’s the way we lost!”, is there a good way to lose lol? Was there a more preferred method of losing or are you just a hyperbolic person who freaks out after a normal loss?

It’s at the point that I wish we win just so I can come here and see a normal forum. A week of people acting like the sky is falling is so off putting. I thoroughly enjoy this forum but I spent the least time I have all season on it this week because of all the hyperbolic emotion. How old are posters on this forum I’m genuinely interested in finding out how the ages are spread out. May illuminate the amount of extra emotional posts we get here after a loss/during the game.

Check the game threads during a game lol the stuff people say 2 drives into the game is pure comedy.

I'm totally with you. I don't come on this board at all after losses or in the off season. After losses people are way to emotional and during the off season haters can say whatever they want for 7 months with no repercussions of the game being played in the near future. I have a feeling the OP here is in the emotional grouping.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get mad any longer. Years past if Dallas lost it would ruin my Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Now, I'm over it in a couple hours.

75boyz

Reaction score

The future is bright!
Young team with another young Garrett(Moore) waiting in the wings.

And more and more SleepNumbers!!

If that ain't a reason to celebrate you need your fan card pulled.

Proximo

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get mad any longer. Years past if Dallas lost it would ruin my Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Now, I'm over it in a couple hours.

Yea, it’s good you don’t let losses affect you like that anymore.
It’s completely irrational if you think about it.
Definitely not healthy or reasonable behavior for an adult.

Like, I’m not on the field. I’m not game planning all week. I’m not physically competing in the game. As a viewer I can be invested in the game and care about the outcome without being unreasonably emotional about it.

Just my opinion, but I think it’s important to “enjoy the ride” so to speak.
The Cowboys are going to lose games every season. Every team does. Every team has ugly/embarrassing losses. No team is truly “dominant”- and that’s a good thing. It makes the games matter. Any team can take an L on any Sunday.
At the end of the season, only one team is champion, which means there’s 31 disappointed fan bases. For any fan of any team, being champion is a long shot every season. Best to have fun while it plays itself out, is my opinion.

Proximo

Reaction score
I'm totally with you. I don't come on this board at all after losses or in the off season. After losses people are way to emotional and during the off season haters can say whatever they want for 7 months with no repercussions of the game being played in the near future. I have a feeling the OP here is in the emotional grouping.

For the las few years I’ve pretty much come here exclusively for news and post game tweets, and quotes from players/coaches. Stopped coming here for fan dialogue or discussion a long time ago.
It’s just not enjoyable. Every now and then if a thread catches my eye I’ll chime in.

Thing is, there’s a small number of VERY active and VERY vocal posters who just spam their opinion/agenda in every thread. It’s ashame, but it is what it is. If those folks get enjoyment out of that, good on them I suppose.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
For the las few years I’ve pretty much come here exclusively for news and post game tweets, and quotes from players/coaches. Stopped coming here for fan dialogue or discussion a long time ago.
It’s just not enjoyable. Every now and then if a thread catches my eye I’ll chime in.

Thing is, there’s a small number of VERY active and VERY vocal posters who just spam their opinion/agenda in every thread. It’s ashame, but it is what it is. If those folks get enjoyment out of that, good on them I suppose.

Yep. The Twitter thread after the game is awesome. And the news updates from here are great.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I feel the same. I used to go to bars to watch the game if they did not show it locally. I just skip those games now. I watched every game during the Campo years even if we sucked. But these days the motivation is not there.

Partially it is the lack of success but also the terrible refs. We have been robbed so many times that I basically expect it to happen every game. The referees are a joke in the NFL.

What did it for me are the Garrett years. They absolutely destroyed any enthusiasm I had for this team and also the refs. We get screwed. Absolutely screwed. I hold my breath after every big play. I literally hold my breath for a flag. That is no way to enjoy your favorite team.