CFZ The Cowboys Bring Me No Joy Anymore

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

That 2002 team finished 5-11, but I loved watching every second of every game.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.

I still enjoy football. Life 2 hard to hate it

morat1959

Reaction score
What is really sad for me is games like this used to make me rant and rave, give me a headache, and I'd be upset into the day on Monday.

And here we are a couple hours later and I'm already over it. Maybe I'm just older and more calm, or maybe the expectation level for me has dropped so far it's pathetic.
My sentiments exactly!

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.
Right there with ya bud.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score

Ive had those same thoughts. You mentioning the Panthers game, brought back a memory. I was at Panther stadium watching Dallas. I believe
It was 2018. They thumped us. Super disappointed in how we gave that game away. We looked like a bunch of high school players. Those are some of the moments where you second guess the money and time you invest in this team.

Elusiv1

Reaction score
I've been watching for over 40 years and embarrassing is an understatement. I will always be a die hard Cowboys fan but it's sad for me to have to set low expectations because if you get too high on them they let you down. I remember watching our Boys back in the day and you could pretty much predict W's before the season started, nowadays I am not even sure to predict a win against a 3-6 GB Packer team or an upcoming Houston Texans game? I mean what team is going to show up? God only knows

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think that's what he's saying. I feel the same way he does. I don't want to speak for him but since the Ice Bowl the Cowboys have been the love of my life but now they are just an acquaintance.

I think he's trying to convey that he dearly would love to get that feeling back. It's not that the Cowboys are making him sad or causing him not to like or love the team. He wants to be nervous and excited and jump around and scream but 27 years of Jerry has sapped the life out of him (and me) and now nothing is the same.

For me, it's two things now. I want Jerry to be gone and I want a new quarterback. I love Dak Prescott the person, the leader, the man, I just don't want him as our quarterback eating up our cap space every year with no real chance of winning. I never felt like that about Tony and as Jerry will tell you, his biggest regret is not surrounding Romo with a defense that could compete.

I was able to hang in there with Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter and Drew Bledsoe etc, maybe because I was a bit younger and still thinking Jerry could right the ship but not only will he not, he can't because he would rather lose than win and not get the credit.

This is how I know it's Jerry and Dak. If in the same year Jerry was gone and say we drafted Justin Herbert or Lamar Jackson, I think I would come around again, but it's not gonna happen.

100000% the message I was trying to convey. Very well said, brother.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don’t let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. You’ve been a fan for 15 years and you think that’s special? Gives you some kind of right to whine? This is the NFL. It’s tough to win. I’ve even a fan since I was 6 which was 1963. I’ve been through all the good and the bad and I still believe the Cowboys have a shot most years. You can quit. Kids these days like yourself quit easily. Not me.
I know that reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit and that you enjoy antagonizing people just for the sake of it, but you may want to sound things out and make sure you understand what’s being said before commenting.

I said I haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. I have been a fan since 1992, when I was 6 years old.

I know you didn’t intentionally give me a compliment, but thanks for calling me a kid.

I think I’ll stick around here to, if nothing else, keep annoying you.

blueblood70

Reaction score
When the season started, if anyone said the Cowboys would be 6-3 at this point in the season, this board would be ecstatic.
with Rush playing 5 games LOL its true this board stated a losing season coming..many stated before daks injury that we have a horrible offseason and would be 7-10... selective amnesia has them moving the goal posts. Other said after dak injury, no way we would win 4 games total as Rush couldn't be the Backup.

goal posts moved weekly.

mmohican29

Reaction score

Shrugs

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There should be a Pity Party forum for all the “fans” who feel sorry for themselves. My God people grow some nads.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
There should be a Pity Party forum for all the “fans” who feel sorry for themselves. My God people grow some nads.

You have to be the single most unlikable and miserable person I have ever encountered on a forum. You never let up. You are always abrasive as if that is what you desire most in life.

I get the feeling that nobody wants the Cowboys to lose more than you do, because you then come around and berate anyone who vents their frustrations and don't measure up to your ridiculous standards.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I still enjoy watching the games. But I have little expectation of seeing a championship again. That’s the sad part. Us fans don’t own the team but we have a vested interest and have contributed to the financial success of the team…I just wish we had ownership who recognizes that…instead all they see is dollar signs. But I guarantee Robert Kraft has enjoyed these last 20 plus years more than jerry…

But I certainly understand the OPs position…

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You have to be the single most unlikable and miserable person I have ever encountered on a forum. You never let up. You are always abrasive as if that is what you desire most in life.

I get the feeling that nobody wants the Cowboys to lose more than you do, because you then come around and berate anyone who vents their frustrations and don't measure up to your ridiculous standards.
It’s crazy how well you pegged him in such a short amount of time. You’ve been on here a few months and already clearly recognize his M.O.

I’ve found ways to find common ground with a few other members who had been super abrasive and judgmental, but Rockport is in a class of his own and unreachable.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what we do. Until we win in the playoffs it's the same old thing for me. I've been through all this before. I don't get excited beating mediocre teams anymore.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Ask me if I care. I love outting the quitters and losers. Can’t stand them. They get people killed.