CFZ The Cowboys Bring Me No Joy Anymore

CWR

Reaction score
Ihave to admit....some losses....like last :cool:green bay, and the green bay before that, and the green bay before that....

suck a bit of joy out of the process.

I think I hate losing more than I enjoy winning.

After we lost to GB, it was the last thing I thought about before falling asleep and the first thing I thought about upon waking up.

Hopefully, tomorrow we get right. It would go a long way towards washing off the funk.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

That 2002 team finished 5-11, but I loved watching every second of every game.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.
hang in there. we are rebuilding and slowly moving in the right direction. We have a very young team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I try to enjoy it as best as I can. That said, I was born in 1992 and started watching about 2000. So, I've never really known success with this franchise. I'm not going anywhere though. I don't like bandwagoning, and the Cowboys had a huge influence on my fursuit.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Have you seen the Cowboys win a SB or more in your lifetime? I bet you did. It's easy to preach the positive attitude when you've tasted victory multiple times. The only thing fans my age have tasted so far is disappointment and heartbreak, year after year. It takes a toll on you.

Yup, and I've basically had to stop thinking that we are going to win it. It is not a fun thought, but it helps when we lose. It's just another loss and it's what I'm used to seeing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Appreciate it, man! Didn’t take it wrong whatsoever. You’re probably right but it’s super hard to just stop watching after being so wired in to the team for nearly 30 years, ya know?

I’d probably start playing more golf with my free time if I stopped watching football, and that habit is hurting my wallet enough as is!

Euro Football (aka soccer) is probably my favourite sport. Was American Football, but I'm much more into Euro Football now. I try to catch the matches as much as possible. Having multiple sports to watch helps, and hey, what luck! The World Cup is starting tomorrow. Go England!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Expecting joy with our front office guys in charge of the Cowboys is an exercise in futility.

Their playoff absence for the last 26 years is proof of that. They're simply pretenders. :rolleyes:

For those of us who'd like to anticipate Super Bowl appearances, good luck with that. o_O

I've watched the C'boys as a diehard fan for 62 years, now. It's just entertainment, today.

Last edited:

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know this is going to get a lot of “well, just stop watching them” replies, but hear me out.

I’ve been a fan since I was 5, and haven’t missed a game in 15+ years. But the Cowboys just don’t bring me any joy anymore. I feel like they’re a redundant cycle of disappointment and I don’t see any evidence on the field that they’re going to change any time soon.

I vividly remember watching a game in 2002 against the Carolina Panthers. This was during the Quincy Carter years, and the offense was anemic. Well, they were down 13-0 until late in the game. They got super lucky and scored off a tipped pass, and Joey Galloway made it 13-7. Then, with a minute remaining, Carter found Antonio Bryant for the acrobatic, game winning score. After that touchdown, my 16 year old self went absolutely ballistic. I vividly remember running down my hallway, screaming about how miraculous that game was and I couldn’t wait to discuss it with my friends at school the next day.

That 2002 team finished 5-11, but I loved watching every second of every game.

Maybe I’m just jaded and overly cynical, but the Dallas Cowboys just don’t move me anymore. The regular season wins just don’t matter to me like they used to. The lack of playoff success has diminished my overall joy and excitement toward this team.

No matter what happens, I know that this team isn’t going to win when it matters. The last 27 years have conditioned me to that reality. And that sucks the joy out of it for me.

How do I find appreciation for the fun games again? How do I find the optimism? Am I alone in feeling this way?

This is just a thought-dump from a frustrated and worn out fan. Take it for what it is.

well, just stop watching them

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
After hiring Garrett and wasting 10 years of my life waiting for this joke of a coach to be gone, I thought my enjoyment would return. Now Jerry gives big money to the Garrett of quarterbacks. Just think 3 more years and we will have ten years of Jason as a quarterback.
Yeah, I'm enjoying this crap. Honestly only time I have enjoyed watching this year was during the Rush playing time.

I’m sorry but this is the dumbest crap. You enjoyed watching that sorry abysmal offense we put out there with Rush???? When we could hardly crack 20 points??? Man drivel like this is why I come to this board so much less frequently now. I used to post everyday now it’s probably 1-2 times a week if that. Fans like you that just give me the vibe that your dislike of Dak is centered around something that has nothing to do with his football skills.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What a pathetic fan base this is. So many of you guys attitude disgusts me. Ashamed to say I even cheer for the same team as some of you loser mindset having clowns.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Beautiful. I love the team but to be this upset over an OT regular season loss when you’re 6-3 is nuts to me. Did we expect to go undefeated? To those who say, “but it’s the way we lost!”, is there a good way to lose lol? Was there a more preferred method of losing or are you just a hyperbolic person who freaks out after a normal loss?

It’s at the point that I wish we win just so I can come here and see a normal forum. A week of people acting like the sky is falling is so off putting. I thoroughly enjoy this forum but I spent the least time I have all season on it this week because of all the hyperbolic emotion. How old are posters on this forum I’m genuinely interested in finding out how the ages are spread out. May illuminate the amount of extra emotional posts we get here after a loss/during the game.

Check the game threads during a game lol the stuff people say 2 drives into the game is pure comedy.

THIS!!!! 1000% this!!!’ Thank you bro I understand exactly where you’re coming from. If I’ve lost joy in anything it’s this Cowboyszone forum, not the team. This place used to be so much more enjoyable 12-13 years ago. Nowadays I just want to read the cowboys related information and immediately close my browser because of this weak minded disgusting fan base.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I try to enjoy it as best as I can. That said, I was born in 1992 and started watching about 2000. So, I've never really known success with this franchise. I'm not going anywhere though. I don't like bandwagoning, and the Cowboys had a huge influence on my fursuit.
Furboy! I thought you were gone forever.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew I was in trouble when I just started laughing every time something goes wrong rather than getting totally upset

erod

Reaction score
It's a stale franchise with a rudderless and flawed roster.

Every year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
hang in there. we are rebuilding and slowly moving in the right direction. We have a very young team.

Yep, I think this year we've exceeded expectation and this was a soft rebuild year (or at least an assessment of what we've got).

The problem is that it was necessitated by a poor CAP situation and the luck of having money left over after the Gregory signing failed.

Next year is the last of the CAP HELL years and so with the signing bonus system allowing reasonable monies to be spread into the 'relatively affluent' years and with restructuring/cuts to some of the vets, we should have some money left to actually sign above JAG level's to rectify problems identified this year.

What we need is an independent GM :)rolleyes:) to move the franchise forward as the CAP ship has been righted and, as you say, we've got a young team to build around.

Problem is we'll probably keep Stephen, with the organziational outlook of just being enough to be persistently relevant.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry can fix this.
Hire a real HC
Put your chips in and draft a real QB
Because we haven't had either since the 90s.

DanA

Reaction score
I have a visceral link to the Cowboys since my Grand dad drove me to see my first live game in ‘93.

I do find it’s harder to enjoy football in general with players in social media 24/7 and the Jones circus surrounding the Cowboys but that’s the modern world in general.