The Cowboys can use Dak

leeblair

Reaction score
I thought people of your ilk said that Dak is useless and was a terrible QB? That is absence would show how overrated he is when Cooper, Gallup, and CD goes off with Dalton?

So why the hell would anyone give up picks for terrible Dak?
Because there are people like you who don't see what we see.
I think Dak is awesome at times. I think he has great athletic ability.
But he lacks the leadership mentality that a marquee quarterback must have. He doesn't make the Cowboys better when they are bad; he is bad right along with them.
Likewise, when they're good, he plays good.
But under pressure, Dak chokes. He will come back and make some plays when opposing defenses back off, but when it matters he's not there.

Brax

Reaction score
I mean some on here feel Dak is a top 5 QB. Wouldn't some team give up two 1's for a top 5 qb?
Some may dream top 5 but the reality is 10-20 on any given week, a solid NFL QB with no special skills and he needs a all world roster to hide his short comings and a team can't do that paying elite $$$ for him. No team is giving up even one 1 for him, if Jerry is smart put the non exclusive on him and see what the real market is, it a no lose proposition.

Swagger

Reaction score
What has Dak displayed besides personal stats? The team has not done well and there is too much to repair to dedicate a substantial amount of financial resources to a 27-year old QB with a sub-standard team. Best to draft a more affordable QB and have him develop with the team over the next 5 years. The fact is Dak may have amassed personal passing stats but that has not led Dallas anywhere except a 1-2 playoff record in Dak's 4-1/4 years as the starting QB.
Add in that Prescott had the benefit of not playing on a bad team until this season and a very strong team in 2016 especially.

One play off win is a disappointing return. Obviously other factors led to the lack of success but it's disappointing whatever it's washed as we have had good teams.

Swagger

Reaction score
The ideal scenario is to get a draft pick or picks for Prescott so we actually receive something. Then we can focus on drafting a QB in the first round on a rookie contract and building the team.

Gaede

Reaction score
I am definitely attracted to the idea of trading Dak, drafting one of the top 4 QBs this year, and essentially starting over with this roster. Only problem is that the guy who built the last roster would build this new one.

If we had hired a guy like Parcells who could and would enact total organizational change, then a rebuild would have a lot more appeal.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If your thinking is that Dak just isn't good enough to win a championship then we wont find common ground here. My thought process is if you end up with a top 2 pick you have the following scenarios

1. Draft a QB, let Dak walk, save about $30MM-35MM a year which may get you two blue chip free agents
  2. Keep Dak, trade down, Pick up likely two additional premium picks.
  3. Keep Dak, Draft a blue chip player at #2.
Option 3 makes no sense to me at all, unless you have a generational type talent sitting on the board. I'm just not seeing that player in this draft. Option 2 interests me a lot because with the extra picks you can get yourself multiple starter level players on rookie deals. I think that really offsets what you would pay Dak. Option 1 interests me as well, i'm just not sure if its the right thing IF you can really get that massive haul in a trade. I'm fine with dumping dak for a rookie qb, but you've got to have a plan to really improve the rest of the roster. If not, were gonna be rebuilding for the next three years, and will just be having the same debate again with Trevor/Justin at QB.

I agree 1 or 2 are in play i was looking at the current top 25 and there are no names at say 2-3 where we pick on defense that blows my mind, easily trad no further down then 9-10 and get haul for the trade down..pick up 2 defenders before our actual 2nd round pick.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...-28/2021-nfl-draft-big-board-top-25-prospects

blueblood70

Reaction score
The "exclusive franchise tag" is reserved for the league's best players and isn't used that often. A non-exclusive franchise tag allows players to negotiate with other teams, and if the original team decides not to match an offer from another team, they will receive two first-round picks from the signing team.

Its a rule. There is no question, if the Cowboys allow Dak to negotiate with other teams and one decides to sign him, we get two firsts.
i wished the NE tag was used in 2020 on dak, it would have shed a lot of light on actual interest and the type of picks that would have been offered for him..not sure why they felt the need on the hard tag..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By placing the non-exclusive tag on him, if another team wants him and gives up two number one picks for him, the Cowboys can use those pics to rebuild this team into a power house.
It would be "The Great Train Robbery", part two.
And if they can deal Zeke and get something for him, do that, too.
This team needs A LOT of help.

Teams can trade players on the Exclusive Tag...

eromeopolk

Reaction score
By placing the non-exclusive tag on him, if another team wants him and gives up two number one picks for him, the Cowboys can use those pics to rebuild this team into a power house.
It would be "The Great Train Robbery", part two.
And if they can deal Zeke and get something for him, do that, too.
This team needs A LOT of help.
Jimmy Johnson, Bob Ackles, and John Wooten are not the Head Coach, VP of Player Personnel, and Director of College and Pro Scouting of the Dallas Cowboys. One, Jerry Dumbo GM Jones has all three positions. Therefore, you will not get the same results from the Walker trade.

You will go 5-11 three years in a row when you lose or trade away a franchise QB. Ask Jerry.

irving

Reaction score
People are delusional if they think there is any one player in the draft that will miraculously lead Dallas to the Super Bowl. As many on here have said before, as long Jerry Jones and his son are running the show nothing will change. The best thing any player that wants to have success can do is get out of Dallas.