The Cowboys can use Dak

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I agree. After the numbers he put up this year it has to be considered an option. I think the injury concern is the bigger issue, and may keep teams from really rolling the dice. If i'm a team like Pittsburgh that may have Ben retiring, and am likely picking bottom 3rd of the draft i'd do it. Cleveland? Does dak make them an instant super bowl contender? Indy? I think you have teams who would have that discussion.
I think them numbers when looked at by non fans that manly just see numbers to fight online with I'm not sure if many if any teams will give up 2 first for Dak. His numbers look good but if you truly break down how he gets them will the people that make decisions be impressed? People can say whatever myself included but will teams make that choice? I don't think so because like @tyke1doe said I see Dak in that Cousins mold. An ok QB but not some next level QB which right now there is only 3. You only pay next level players those contracts IMO.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
@Philmonroe

Here is the thread I was referring to that at least gives a comparison. The actual article referenced in the thread to demonstrate where he stands in respect to other QBs is here.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/dak-prescott-clutch-4th-quarter-jerry-jones-cowboys-defense

Dak was 1-6 in one score games last year, meaning this trend has been continue add nauseum, especially since the shift has gone to an “air-Dak” offense.

As far as the thread, of course, take statements such as “garbage” as hyperbole, in the context of a forum where Dak can do no wrong and everybody else is to blame.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/more-proof-why-dak-is-garbage.465568/
I remember this thread and just read this article. This article is basically someone with time to explain what I've been seeing with my own eyes but you know how the pro Dak crew don't like the eye test if its against Dak. He's on the same level as Cousins aka an average QB for the most part but people want to make him more than that when that's not the case. I won't even get into some of the reasons why they think you don't think he's as good as they do

garyo1954

Reaction score
The "exclusive franchise tag" is reserved for the league's best players and isn't used that often. A non-exclusive franchise tag allows players to negotiate with other teams, and if the original team decides not to match an offer from another team, they will receive two first-round picks from the signing team.

Its a rule. There is no question, if the Cowboys allow Dak to negotiate with other teams and one decides to sign him, we get two firsts.

conner01

Reaction score
Well according to Dak Haters there isn't a difference between Dak and Dalton.

Let's place the Transitional Tag on Dalton...:lmao2:
It always amazes me that some think we need to dump Dak but some other team would give you a premium pick for him
If he’s so bad why would anyone else want him
Seems a bit confusing to me

Philmonroe

Reaction score
It always amazes me that some think we need to dump Dak but some other team would give you a premium pick for him
If he’s so bad why would anyone else want him
Seems a bit confusing to me
You're confusing yourself but a lot of people seem to do that to make themselves seem whatever nowadays. The vast majority of these people aren't the same smh. If they don't think Dak should stay here I'm pretty sure the vast majority don't think nobody will give him two first and vice versa for the people that think he should stay. No need to confuse yourself smh.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
By placing the non-exclusive tag on him, if another team wants him and gives up two number one picks for him, the Cowboys can use those pics to rebuild this team into a power house.
It would be "The Great Train Robbery", part two.
And if they can deal Zeke and get something for him, do that, too.
This team needs A LOT of help.
Why would anyone give up any draft picks?
First, Dallas needs to commit to Dak or to drafting a QB before the draft, assuming they have one of the top two picks. Dak doesn’t have to sign the tag until the very last minute. But let’s say he signs it immediately. Now the Cowboys are committed to that. If they want to draft a QB at 1 or 2, why would any team trade picks for Dak when they know Dallas cannot pay the tag and a top draft pick at the same time.
Dallas totally screwed this up. DAK’s contract isn’t up until the end of the season. He won’t be able to show he’s fully recovered anytime soon. When the season is over, Dallas cannot trade Dak as he is a free agent. If they draft a QB, they cannot risk tagging him because they are then on the hook and cannot release him.
We will get nothing for Dak if we draft Lawrence or Fields, and we can’t really get rid of him without one of those guys. Our front office screwed the pooch.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There aren’t a handful of players in the nfl a team would give two 1’s for and then have to sign him
Mahomes would be the only one I would
I agree. It starts and ends with Mahomes. I wouldn’t trade two 1sts for Aaron Donald...well...I’d they were bad picks I would.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The "exclusive franchise tag" is reserved for the league's best players and isn't used that often. A non-exclusive franchise tag allows players to negotiate with other teams, and if the original team decides not to match an offer from another team, they will receive two first-round picks from the signing team.

Its a rule. There is no question, if the Cowboys allow Dak to negotiate with other teams and one decides to sign him, we get two firsts.

That is if the team actually signs Dak to an offer sheet. More often what happens is the team that wants the player works out a trade with the team as opposed to giving the player an offer sheet. I believe this most recently happened with Yannick Ngakoue. Ngakoue ended up getting traded for a 3rd and a 5th, not two 1sts.

aikemirv

Reaction score
That is the logical argument for people who want to draft a qb. I really don’t think you gain anything drafting a qbs and letting dak walk. If he actually has the value to get you two 1st though + you keep your top 5 pick that’s an easy call.

I’m just not sure anyone will give that much up for a qb coming off such a major injury.

Well you gain 2 first and 40 million. Where you are on the talent side of QB at that point is the issue.

I just can't imagine any reason for NOT doing that if you could parlay 1 of those gained 1st that into Lawrence or Fields. Rebuild with 40 million more available and a rookie top QB

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
No team is giving up two No. 1s for Dak.

A team might do it. We've seen plenty of first round QB's fail, and Dak has put up some impressive statistics.

I'm not a big Dak fan either. The QB market is a different beast.

Remember- Jalen Ramsey fetched TWO first round picks AND a fourth round pick. For a CB. QB's are far more valuable.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jets, Jags, Raiders? Heck, Just maybe Jason Garrett would want him back. I like Prescott , but i'm all in to get the ship back.
I doubt any of those teams would give a 1st and a 4th for Dak. Not saying they wouldn't want him, but not for a 1st and 4th. Maybe a 2nd?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
A team might do it. We've seen plenty of first round QB's fail, and Dak has put up some impressive statistics.

I'm not a big Dak fan either. The QB market is a different beast.

Remember- Jalen Ramsey fetched TWO first round picks AND a fourth round pick. For a CB. QB's are far more valuable.

First, Dak put up those stats when his team was down by a significant margin. That's not forget that. When he was neck-and-neck with teams, they pulled away. In essence, Dak and the offense couldn't sustain drives when the game was close. And then, the games got out of hand. And then the opponent would dial back their defense, and then Dak would take advantage of them.

You don't think coaches know how Dak has amassed those "impression statistics"?

Fans might be fooled, but not coaches. That's why the Belichick's, the McVay's, the Carroll's, etc., can shut Dak down. They know how to coach against him.

Dak was lights out his first year. Now, teams have caught up with him. Shrug.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dammmmm, this is a lot of silly arguing over nothing.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
By placing the non-exclusive tag on him, if another team wants him and gives up two number one picks for him, the Cowboys can use those pics to rebuild this team into a power house.
It would be "The Great Train Robbery", part two.
And if they can deal Zeke and get something for him, do that, too.
This team needs A LOT of help.

I thought people of your ilk said that Dak is useless and was a terrible QB? That is absence would show how overrated he is when Cooper, Gallup, and CD goes off with Dalton?

So why the hell would anyone give up picks for terrible Dak?

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
The point being made is that signing Dak to a lucrative extension will not benefit this team given all the holes throughout the defense in addition to a depleted offensive line so perhaps it is time to blow up the team by signing Dak to a non-exclusive franchise tag and allowing him to offer his services elsewhere while recouping draft pick compensation.

Yet Romo was given one of the richest contracts in NFL History and this same Cowboys Front Office built for him a "championship roster" by 2016 when Dak took over. No excuses. Give Dak his money and elite roster like Romo got.