The Cowboys can use Dak

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I mean some on here feel Dak is a top 5 QB. Wouldn't some team give up two 1's for a top 5 qb?
As much as I love his leadership and think the Cowboys would be better if he had not been injured, you give up two No. 1 picks for players who make their teams significantly better against the best competition.

Dak can beat the also-rans and the mediocre teams. But he doesn't take the Cowboys over the top consistently against the better teams. You give up two No.1's for very few players - Mahomes, Rodgers (in his younger years), Brady (in his younger years), maybe, Watson, maybe a younger Wilson. (No, I'm not giving up two No.1s for Lamar Jackson). But those are about it. You're not giving up No. 1s for Kirk Cousins and Matt Ryan (not now) and David Carr. That's where I slot Dak. Good, but they're not going to put your over the top unless lightning strikes.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
just because another team thinks Dak is worth 2 rd 1 picks does not mean he is a franchise QB or that we should pay him 40 million/y

the fact is that Dak has never led his team to back to back playoff game victories and is coming off a major injury

if we have a shot at Lawrence, I’m definitely taking it

Fields will have to show us what he does against good teams this year but if we have a shot at him I’m thinking long and hard about it
If your thinking is that Dak just isn't good enough to win a championship then we wont find common ground here. My thought process is if you end up with a top 2 pick you have the following scenarios

1. Draft a QB, let Dak walk, save about $30MM-35MM a year which may get you two blue chip free agents
  2. Keep Dak, trade down, Pick up likely two additional premium picks.
  3. Keep Dak, Draft a blue chip player at #2.
Option 3 makes no sense to me at all, unless you have a generational type talent sitting on the board. I'm just not seeing that player in this draft. Option 2 interests me a lot because with the extra picks you can get yourself multiple starter level players on rookie deals. I think that really offsets what you would pay Dak. Option 1 interests me as well, i'm just not sure if its the right thing IF you can really get that massive haul in a trade. I'm fine with dumping dak for a rookie qb, but you've got to have a plan to really improve the rest of the roster. If not, were gonna be rebuilding for the next three years, and will just be having the same debate again with Trevor/Justin at QB.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I mean some on here feel Dak is a top 5 QB. Wouldn't some team give up two 1's for a top 5 qb?
I agree. After the numbers he put up this year it has to be considered an option. I think the injury concern is the bigger issue, and may keep teams from really rolling the dice. If i'm a team like Pittsburgh that may have Ben retiring, and am likely picking bottom 3rd of the draft i'd do it. Cleveland? Does dak make them an instant super bowl contender? Indy? I think you have teams who would have that discussion.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's one thing to want a different QB but it's odd how some of you act like the guy molested your sister.

49q3x0.gif
Well as the Mods are allowing bringing family members without any repercussions I ask the following....Was Dak dating your Mother hence the love you have for him?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Well as the Mods are allowing bringing family members without any repercussions I ask the following....Was Dak dating your Mother hence the love you have for him?

The love I have for him? I don't want to pay him, sport. I also don't trust Jerry to get the next QB right so for me it's a bit of a conundrum.

I just don't feel the need to create a thread about it five times a week, turn every other thread into a Dak thread, or personally attack the guy.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The love I have for him? I don't want to pay him, sport. I also don't trust Jerry to get the next QB right so for me it's a bit of a conundrum.

I just don't feel the need to create a thread about it five times a week, turn every other thread into a Dak thread, or personally attack the guy.
No more contact with your type of trash!

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
No team is giving up two No. 1s for Dak.

They'd be smart to. Teams give up
As much as I love his leadership and think the Cowboys would be better if he had not been injured, you give up two No. 1 picks for players who make their teams significantly better against the best competition.

Dak can beat the also-rans and the mediocre teams. But he doesn't take the Cowboys over the top consistently against the better teams. You give up two No.1's for very few players - Mahomes, Rodgers (in his younger years), Brady (in his younger years), maybe, Watson, maybe a younger Wilson. (No, I'm not giving up two No.1s for Lamar Jackson). But those are about it. You're not giving up No. 1s for Kirk Cousins and Matt Ryan (not now) and David Carr. That's where I slot Dak. Good, but they're not going to put your over the top unless lightning strikes.

Kinda like he did agaibsr the Seahawks? Lmao

visionary

Reaction score
If your thinking is that Dak just isn't good enough to win a championship then we wont find common ground here. My thought process is if you end up with a top 2 pick you have the following scenarios

1. Draft a QB, let Dak walk, save about $30MM-35MM a year which may get you two blue chip free agents
  2. Keep Dak, trade down, Pick up likely two additional premium picks.
  3. Keep Dak, Draft a blue chip player at #2.
Option 3 makes no sense to me at all, unless you have a generational type talent sitting on the board. I'm just not seeing that player in this draft. Option 2 interests me a lot because with the extra picks you can get yourself multiple starter level players on rookie deals. I think that really offsets what you would pay Dak. Option 1 interests me as well, i'm just not sure if its the right thing IF you can really get that massive haul in a trade. I'm fine with dumping dak for a rookie qb, but you've got to have a plan to really improve the rest of the roster. If not, were gonna be rebuilding for the next three years, and will just be having the same debate again with Trevor/Justin at QB.

You are trying to way undersell option 1

1. You will be saving 40 million/year (not 30-35) because if Dak were willing to sign for that he would have already signed.

2. you are signing a QB coming off major injury with no idea how it will affect his psyche especially when running is a significant part of his game. See how injuries affected the play of Wentz and others that were good QBs before significant injury. It can have a significant impact on your play even if you recover physically.

3. As part of this we will franchise and trade Dak for at least 1 round 1 pick and maybe 2. That was your whole argument to begin with

so in this scenario we are moving on from Dak and drafting a top QB but saving 40 million/year and getting 2 round 1 picks

Sounds like the best deal to me

khiladi

Reaction score
We need to reconstruct this OL the way Collins and Smith are headed...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You are trying to way undersell option 1

1. You will be saving 40 million/year (not 30-35) because if Dak were willing to sign for that he would have already signed.

2. you are signing a QB coming off major injury with no idea how it will affect his psyche especially when running is a significant part of his game. See how injuries affected the play of Wentz and others that were good QBs before significant injury. It can have a significant impact on your play even if you recover physically.

3. As part of this we will franchise and trade Dak for at least 1 round 1 pick and maybe 2. That was your whole argument to begin with

so in this scenario we are moving on from Dak and drafting a top QB but saving 40 million/year and getting 2 round 1 picks

Sounds like the best deal to me

#1 - You're not adding in the cost of a qb to replace Dak though. If you spend the 1 or 2 overall pick on a QB your going to have a $6-9MM cap hit. I'm not sure exactly what that looks like in 2021, but i think Burrow was around $7MM against the cap this year. I guess the counter argument to that is you'll be spending cap on a draft pick either way, but im factoring it in specific to what you're committing to the QB position.

#2 - I agree, and is why i'm skeptical we could actually get 2 #1 picks. Even if Dak is healthy, there may still be some long term lingering issues. If you cant get those picks, i think its a fair debate about keeping dak or not.

#3 - No doubt, if you can get 2 first round picks I would do it. I'm just skeptical it would happen, but who knows you look at a Pittsburg, Cleveland, Indy, etc who may feel they are a QB away in 2021.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The point made is that it would be ridiculous to draft another QB while taking the chance this QB would amount to anything close to what Dak has displayed. Plus, it would most likely take at least a year or two for said drafted QB to become ready to play up to par in the NFL, time this current team of talent in its prime does not have to simply throw away for an inexperienced rookie QB. ALSO, Dak's injury enables the Cowboys and Dak to negotiate a lesser contract where it would be more friendly to the team.

If by March, Dak is able to prove to team doctors that he is healing well and able to move around without much issues, Jerry should resign Dak. If Dak does not show signs of healing well or starts having problems with his injured leg area, definitely the Cowboys should look to drafting his replacement the following month in April.

What has Dak displayed besides personal stats? The team has not done well and there is too much to repair to dedicate a substantial amount of financial resources to a 27-year old QB with a sub-standard team. Best to draft a more affordable QB and have him develop with the team over the next 5 years. The fact is Dak may have amassed personal passing stats but that has not led Dallas anywhere except a 1-2 playoff record in Dak's 4-1/4 years as the starting QB.

khiladi

Reaction score
In fairness how does his stats compare to other qb's esp the top level ones?

@Philmonroe

Here is the thread I was referring to that at least gives a comparison. The actual article referenced in the thread to demonstrate where he stands in respect to other QBs is here.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/dak-prescott-clutch-4th-quarter-jerry-jones-cowboys-defense

Dak was 1-6 in one score games last year, meaning this trend has been continue add nauseum, especially since the shift has gone to an “air-Dak” offense.

As far as the thread, of course, take statements such as “garbage” as hyperbole, in the context of a forum where Dak can do no wrong and everybody else is to blame.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/more-proof-why-dak-is-garbage.465568/

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What has Dak displayed besides personal stats? The team has not done well and there is too much to repair to dedicate a substantial amount of financial resources to a 27-year old QB with a sub-standard team. Best to draft a more affordable QB and have him develop with the team over the next 5 years. The fact is Dak may have amassed personal passing stats but that has not led Dallas anywhere except a 1-2 playoff record in Dak's 4-1/4 years as the starting QB.
You either haven't been paying attention or you don't understand the game that well.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
@Philmonroe

Here is the thread I was referring to that at least gives a comparison. The actual article referenced in the thread to demonstrate where he stands in respect to other QBs is here.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/dak-prescott-clutch-4th-quarter-jerry-jones-cowboys-defense

Dak was 1-6 in one score games last year, meaning this trend has been continue add nauseum, especially since the shift has gone to an “air-Dak” offense.

As far as the thread, of course, take statements such as “garbage” as hyperbole, in the context of a forum where Dak can do no wrong and everybody else is to blame.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/more-proof-why-dak-is-garbage.465568/

I'm taking Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields and not looking back.....CAP saving and talent are to much to pass up.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm taking Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields and not looking back.....CAP saving and talent are to much to pass.

I’m not a college fan at all, but pretty much everybody I have read is on board the Trevor Lawrence QB potentially being generational. You simply don’t look back on that type of talent, if he is there.