RELEASED The Cowboys have waived linebacker Devin Harper

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They would still need him as the backup.
If Biadasz is good to go, I would think Harlow would be the backup, but maybe the team likes Hoffman more than I like Hoffman.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Seems odd. Now they have 3 total LBs including LB/Safety Bell.
Yes, but if they add him to the PS, they can still activate him for games, and also have Malik Jefferson they can call up and possibly Durrell Johnson, although I think we see him as a DE.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he must have sucked pretty badly. We need an LB badly but we release the next superstar. What's even more awesome is that he's so good we hope to keep him. You can't make this crap up.

Yep, last week they released me from work because I sucked at my job, but they are considering bringing me back to keep some other factory from hiring me.
Pretty sound logic.

HanD

Reaction score
he must have sucked pretty badly. We need an LB badly but we release the next superstar. What's even more awesome is that he's so good we hope to keep him. You can't make this crap up.

Yep, last week they released me from work because I sucked at my job, but they are considering bringing me back to keep some other factory from hiring me.
Pretty sound logic.
That's not really a good analogy. He's a young player who needs to develop and that takes time. Things aren't as black and white. Itd be more akin to a new employee who isn't able to be a lead designer so he can only do parts of the project for now. He might get there but he isn't there yet. Players don't get to this league and right away they have it or they don't. Especially when lowly or undrafted.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
That's not really a good analogy. He's a young player who needs to develop and that takes time. Things aren't as black and white. Itd be more akin to a new employee who isn't able to be a lead designer so he can only do parts of the project for now. He might get there but he isn't there yet. Players don't get to this league and right away they have it or they don't. Especially when lowly or undrafted.
so my former company needs to bring me back and work with me and hope I get better before some other company tries to make me their project. Even though the job I do is a specialty and I'm not good enough at it. They should let me mess up some product and hope I get better.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
maybe we can find some guy who isn't good enough to be on the 53-man team of another team. A guy who could be good but isn't at this time.

HanD

Reaction score
so my former company needs to bring me back and work with me and hope I get better before some other company tries to make me their project. Even though the job I do is a specialty and I'm not good enough at it. They should let me mess up some product and hope I get better.
He's a developmental guy. Always was. Not sure what you don't understand. It's not like he was starting at lb. St guys especially young ones like this are there because they are learning their full time position most of the time and aren't ready yet so they contribute in other ways. Maybe they see promise in his lb play. This team has developed back of the roster guys in the past to go on for significant contribution.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
He's a developmental guy. Always was. Not sure what you don't understand. It's not like he was starting at lb. St guys especially young ones like this are there because they are learning their full time position most of the time and aren't ready yet so they contribute in other ways. Maybe they see promise in his lb play. This team has developed back of the roster guys in the past to go on for significant contribution.
so I too can be a developmental guy at my company and they will call me back because they can't find another guy who's better at what I do. I'll give them a call right now and tell them they need to develop me because they can't find a guy who can do what they want me to do. I'll tell them I got promise and I'dll only mess up fifty percent of the product the last time they let me do the job. I still have a fifty percent chance of getting more right.

HanD

Reaction score
so I too can be a developmental guy at my company and they will call me back because they can't find another guy who's better at what I do. I'll give them a call right now and tell them they need to develop me because they can't find a guy who can do what they want me to do. I'll tell them I got promise and I'dll only mess up fifty percent of the product the last time they let me do the job. I still have a fifty percent chance of getting more right.
that's exactly what happens at thousands of companies every year in a variety of industries. you hire a kid out of college who you have to train to be able to do the job. it's a cost benefit analysis.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
that's exactly what happens at thousands of companies every year in a variety of industries. you hire a kid out of college who you have to train to be able to do the job.
so they might put me on the callback list if they can't find anybody who can do the job proficiently. great, I have a chance now.

XXLMike

Reaction score
Just because we’re thin at Backer doesn’t mean you hang on to a stiff oh wait LVE

rambo2

Reaction score

Pretty sound logic.
They just needed Hoffman on the 53 and they figure that the linebacker won't get claimed.

Creeper

Reaction score
This move was a shock to me. Not because I think Harper is some kind of great LB or anything. He seems okay but I think he is just a guy with the same recognition issues as some of the other LBs. He had one good preseason game. But the Cowboys have left themselves remarkably thin at LB. They have Malik Jefferson on the practice squad and maybe they plan on bringing him up. Who knows. But look at what they are doing at C? Same thing. It is a mess.

I don't know that Matt Waletzko is going to help this team in 2023. And if they need a spot for Wright, then what are they doing with Eric Scott? He has a roster spot already.

They are carrying extra players on the roster at RB (4), and I think Safety (6). They also have 6 CB, including CJ Goodwin. If Wright comes back they will have 7 CBs on the roster. This is forcing them to go thin at other positions, like LB and C.

I understand the players they are keeping are all good players or prospects, but they are risking the season if they get an injury or two during a game and don't have the players on the roster to fill in. This strategy or elevating a C from teh PS every week then signing a new guy to the PS after the last guys is out of elevations is also risky business.

At some point they need to settle the roster giving enough spots to each position to ensure adequate depth. C for example, should have 2 roster spots for the starter and backup. Could they lose a good prospect or 2? Maybe, but someone like Eric Scott is a long shot at best. And frankly, he didn't look that great in preseason. And maybe it is time to let go of CJ Goodwin. Is he a luxury they can no longer afford? Why can't they find someone else on the roster to fill in on special teams?

Having too many good players is a good problem to have, but at some point I think they are going to have to deal with the problem.

rambo2

Reaction score
This move was a shock to me. Not because I think Harper is some kind of great LB or anything. He seems okay but I think he is just a guy with the same recognition issues as some of the other LBs. He had one good preseason game. But the Cowboys have left themselves remarkably thin at LB. They have Malik Jefferson on the practice squad and maybe they plan on bringing him up. Who knows. But look at what they are doing at C? Same thing. It is a mess.

I don't know that Matt Waletzko is going to help this team in 2023. And if they need a spot for Wright, then what are they doing with Eric Scott? He has a roster spot already.

They are carrying extra players on the roster at RB (4), and I think Safety (6). They also have 6 CB, including CJ Goodwin. If Wright comes back they will have 7 CBs on the roster. This is forcing them to go thin at other positions, like LB and C.

I understand the players they are keeping are all good players or prospects, but they are risking the season if they get an injury or two during a game and don't have the players on the roster to fill in. This strategy or elevating a C from teh PS every week then signing a new guy to the PS after the last guys is out of elevations is also risky business.

At some point they need to settle the roster giving enough spots to each position to ensure adequate depth. C for example, should have 2 roster spots for the starter and backup. Could they lose a good prospect or 2? Maybe, but someone like Eric Scott is a long shot at best. And frankly, he didn't look that great in preseason. And maybe it is time to let go of CJ Goodwin. Is he a luxury they can no longer afford? Why can't they find someone else on the roster to fill in on special teams?

Having too many good players is a good problem to have, but at some point I think they are going to have to deal with the problem.
The spot is for the center Hoffman.