The Cowboys Leave Themselves No Choice But To Hit On Their Draft Picks To Be Successful

Sydla

Reaction score
It must be so easy to argue for you when all you do is point to the postseason for the Dallas failures.

We all know about that ..try and actually bring something tangible to the discussion.

Coaching has been and continues to be...the biggest Achilles this organization has. It isn't the talent evaluation or the drafting/fa.

Ummm, that's the point of playing the games.......... make the postseason and make a run to win the SB.

That's about as tangible as you need to get. If you can't have success in the postseason then you are doing something wrong. When your lack of success isn't just a couple of years but a 25 year run, guess what? You have failed in terms of roster building, roster development, coaching, etc.

Jerry has not done a good job at roster building and hiring coaches. If you think the only thing that has held us back in just the coaching, you are just willfully blind. He's not terrible at building a team but they make enough roster mistakes each year through their ignoring of FA, some questionable picks, their bizarre obsession with overpaying their own guys. Then throw in questionable coaching hires and what you have is a 25 year run where the team has shown zero ability to sustain any long term success and make noise in the postseason.

But yeah. 25 years, no success but our rosters have been awesome. LOL.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We were 12-5 last year. The defense looked way better and we had the number one offense in yards. Fix the OLine and continue building up on the defensive side of the ball has been said by fans since the season ended. Their first pick in the draft was an OL. I expect three more offensive picks and five defensive players this draft. So it seems the front office just might get it right in this draft. Time will tell.
Positive post!
Talk your fellow zoner's off the ledge !

Ken

Reaction score
Ummm, that's the point of playing the games.......... make the postseason and make a run to win the SB.

That's about as tangible as you need to get. If you can't have success in the postseason then you are doing something wrong. When your lack of success isn't just a couple of years but a 25 year run, guess what? You have failed in terms of roster building, roster development, coaching, etc.

Jerry has not done a good job at roster building and hiring coaches. If you think the only thing that has held us back in just the coaching, you are just willfully blind.
Ok...

Yet they are among the most "talented" teams in the NFL year in and year out. The only times they completely flame out is when their qb goes down for the year.

Talent has never been the problem.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I wish it was more about winning football games than entertainment...
its about profits......NFL changed to cater to fringe fans in order to expand its popularity. fringe fans care more about the show/entertainment than the outcome. Jerry was a big part of that and has been milking it ever since. we are the most valuable franchise and money keeps rolling in. that's all that matters to Jerry and Stephen.

bigE79

Reaction score
Not for nothing but the Cowboys had McGovern higher than Hill in the 2019 draft. So, I would bet even if they never took Hill, the pick could of been McGovern so not much better results lol
McGovern is not a bad player,he's just not a lg,when he had to replace Martin a few games,he held his own and played well,but as long as martin is here, McGovern is going to be a non issue, cause he's not good at lg.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Ok...

Yet they are among the most "talented" teams in the NFL year in and year out. The only times they completely flame out is when their qb goes down for the year.

Talent is more than measurables. I've been saying for years Jerry loves athletic morons. When was the last time you watched a play from this team and said, "that was really smart."

Ken

Reaction score
Talent is more than measurables. I've been saying for years Jerry loves athletic morons. When was the last time you watched a play from this team and said, "that was really smart."
I agree, it doesn't happen very often.

This is a reflection of coaching more than anything, imo.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok...

Based on what?

Clearly they weren't one of the most talented teams given their general lack of any postseason success in a two and a half decades. You can't blame 25 years of futility on just coaching. That's just preposterous.

Jerry's teams are often flawed. They have made a living out of underfunding the DT position and sure enough, in many years, their flaws are they struggle to stop the run against good OLs and they have by and large, been middling pass rushing teams. That has bit them in the butt in the postseason. They couldn't control the line of scrimmage against the 49ers last year. That was as much a talent issue as a coaching problem.

This team's lack of success is both a coaching and roster problem. It's bizarre people actually believe this team just runs out loaded rosters over and over and over only to be let down by coaching.

Flamma

Reaction score
This FO has no specific plan on how to build a championship caliber team. Imagine if they had gotten Wagner on FA, and drafted Jermaine Johnson yesterday. Help for Parsons.....this defense would be on its way to be top 5. These buffoons just seem to waddle around acting like they know what they're doing. Another OL similar to Smith would have been available in 2nd round.

Spot on. That's what they do. They act as if they're scared.

Signing Wagner and drafting Johnson, getting an OL in the 2nd round is 10 times better than the crap we got.

Are people going to argue that doing none of this and drafting Smith was better?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

Jerry has not done a good job at roster building and hiring coaches. If you think the only thing that has held us back in just the coaching, you are just willfully blind. He's not terrible at building a team but they make enough roster mistakes each year through their ignoring of FA, some questionable picks, their bizarre obsession with overpaying their own guys. Then throw in questionable coaching hires and what you have is a 25 year run where the team has shown zero ability to sustain any long term success and make noise in the postseason.

But yeah. 25 years, no success but our rosters have been awesome. LOL.
Dude said in another thread that he'd rather use draft picks to draft Dak and Diggs instead of trading them away from guys like Stafford and Ramsey when what the Rams are doing is CLEARY working :laugh::laugh:

I don't think postseason success is at the top of Kens list judging by his posts.

Ken

Reaction score
Based on what?

Clearly they weren't one of the most talented teams given their general lack of any postseason success in a two and a half decades. You can't blame 25 years of futility on just coaching. That's just preposterous.

Jerry's teams are often flawed. They have made a living out of underfunding the DT position and sure enough, in many years, their flaws are they struggle to stop the run against good OLs and they have by and large, been middling pass rushing teams.

This team's lack of success is both a coaching and roster problem. It's bizarre people actually believe this team just runs out loaded rosters over and over and over only to be let down by coaching.
Every team has weaknesses. Yes, they have driven us crazy over the years with the philosophy on DT and Safety. No doubt that has cost us.

My talent comment is based on pro bowlers on the roster and general rankings each year of talented rosters.

(3 playoff wins in 26 years, I know, before someone says it)

Pokeness

Reaction score
Put all their eggs in the draft basket and then proceed to draft a project player in round one. For all you people that listen to Fake Jerry on The Ticket, Jerry GM’d the hell out of that pick!

Sydla

Reaction score
They don't have a consistent plan on what to do with a roster.

Take this offseason. They came up with $70 million for Gregory. He left for Denver. Instead of plowing that money into another top edge player, like a ZaDarius Smith (who arguably is better than Gregory) or maybe a Hassan Reddick, they came back with Fowler for peanuts. They weren't paying to keep or upgrade a position, they only were willing to pay $70 million to their own guy. Once that guy left, they turtled up and went cheap. Why? Why did they think they needed to spend $70 million for Gregory but then came right back with peanuts for Fowler?

It's because they don't know what they are doing. It's like when they laid out this whole plan as to why they limited the years and guaranteed money to DeMarco Murray - their analysis showed you don't get the return on that kind of investment in TBs, they saw a decrease in performance quicker than other positions, etc.

Then 12 months later, they use the 4th pick in the draft on a TB, completely ignoring the exact analysis they had used 12 months earlier.

Their roster building is haphazard, reactionary. They have no real plan. Just accumulate names, they dont build rosters.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I agree, it doesn't happen very often.

This is a reflection of coaching more than anything, imo.

Coaching plays it's part, but players still have to execute. Consider Byron Jones's excuse for not getting the proper depth on that last throw before the FG against GB in the playoffs. You watch that play and literally every defender, including Sean Lee, dropped deeper than Jones. Jones said he was concerned about Rodgers scrambling.

Why would every other player on defense be at the right depth if it were just about coaching? Considering how much time was left, Rodgers scrambling would've been fine, unless you think he could've ran 30+ yards in less time than he could throw it. That's an example of a bone headed mistake by one of those great athletes who has no feel for the game.

Reactions: Ken

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the consensus board?
I must admit being curious as well. Any relevant "consensus board" would be a cross-reference of all teams' round-by-round pre-draft boards. Access to such information would allow an accurate construction of all teams' expectations for drafting players according to specific selection and round. Anything created outside each front office's draft planning, no matter how closely it may resemble to 'the truth', would be complete conjecture.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do any other teams do this as consistently as the Cowboys? I can't think of any off the top of my head. It seems most teams try to get better in free agency AND the draft instead of putting all your eggs into the draft basket like the Cowboys do.

I mean, even the Browns are out here making big trades now.

Are we the new Browns?

How scrupulous as in attention to detail are you as well as other fans, including myself. Pay attention to what other teams do in FA as well as the draft as opposed to the Cowboys.
How well does anyone really knows in depth about any other team as they do the Cowboys.

You ask how consistently, well, how about the Raiders and all their head scratcher moments. Other teams a swell, at times.
I am not trying to defend Dallas here, nor knock your post, but trying to point out, we fans know all the good and bad moves and know the players better on out team. But we do not know all the other teams players. We are more critical of our own, and see other teams as better, when in fact they aren't. For marginal and depth players that is. Can't have stars 53 deep.

Easy to be more critical and others go along because they do not know other teams well, so they take ones word for it, and it blows up.
Sure the Rams hit it big, was it luck, or did they really know what to do. Yes, it was both. Let's see if they traded a SB for 26 years of misery after this team falls apart. I do not think they repeat.
They barely beat the Bengals with the refs help. A lot of refs help.

Bengals after years of ineptitude, all of a sudden are great at talent evaluation? They got Burrow and some great coaching.
I still say we lack great coaching, and that is not a knock so much MM, as to assistant coaches. MM & DQ are fine, it is Moore and a few others that is the bigger problem. As some feel it is MM also. That is ok, I understand that. Some feel it is Dak, and that is understandable also.

I will see what day 2 and 3 of the draft brings, as well any FA's later on, if any. But I am still not as enthused after the pick last night. Not the potential of the player, but more the players they passed on at the time. time will tell obviously.

Sydla

Reaction score
Every team has weaknesses. Yes, they have driven us crazy over the years with the philosophy on DT and Safety. No doubt that has cost us.

My talent comment is based on pro bowlers on the roster and general rankings each year of talented rosters.

(3 playoff wins in 26 years, I know, before someone says it)

General rankings of rosters is wholely subjective.

On the field results paint a greater picture of just how good or talented a roster is. Dallas typically fields, good, not great rosters. It's why you see some seasons of pretty good regular season results but often followed by complete late season and postseason meltdowns. Their rosters typically are overvalued. Good enough at times to squeak out a bad division title, not good enough to make any real run in the postsaeaon. Then throw in suspect coaching and what you get is a 25 year run that is actually one of the 5-6 worse in the NFL over that period.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
its about profits......NFL changed to cater to fringe fans in order to expand its popularity. fringe fans care more about the show/entertainment than the outcome. Jerry was a big part of that and has been milking it ever since. we are the most valuable franchise and money keeps rolling in. that's all that matters to Jerry and Stephen.
Unfortunately, that's what the Jones' know best, marketing and making money. Building a winning team is not their strength or forte; 1/4 century of zilch, ineptness and futility proves that. We're not in denial, are we. And after the Jimmy ordeal, they will trust no one but themselves, hence the continued downward spiral.

Pitiful, disgusting, disrespectful, to Murchison, Landry, Schramm, Brandt, etal and the name brand "The Dallas Cowboys" Americas Team.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
sigh.. i miss the good ole days...

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
How scrupulous as in attention to detail are you as well as other fans, including myself. Pay attention to what other teams do in FA as well as the draft as opposed to the Cowboys.
How well does anyone really knows in depth about any other team as they do the Cowboys.

You ask how consistently, well, how about the Raiders and all their head scratcher moments. Other teams a swell, at times.
I am not trying to defend Dallas here, nor knock your post, but trying to point out, we fans know all the good and bad moves and know the players better on out team. But we do not know all the other teams players. We are more critical of our own, and see other teams as better, when in fact they aren't. For marginal and depth players that is. Can't have stars 53 deep.

Easy to be more critical and others go along because they do not know other teams well, so they take ones word for it, and it blows up.
Sure the Rams hit it big, was it luck, or did they really know what to do. Yes, it was both. Let's see if they traded a SB for 26 years of misery after this team falls apart. I do not think they repeat.
They barely beat the Bengals with the refs help. A lot of refs help.

Bengals after years of ineptitude, all of a sudden are great at talent evaluation? They got Burrow and some great coaching.
I still say we lack great coaching, and that is not a knock so much MM, as to assistant coaches. MM & DQ are fine, it is Moore and a few others that is the bigger problem. As some feel it is MM also. That is ok, I understand that. Some feel it is Dak, and that is understandable also.

I will see what day 2 and 3 of the draft brings, as well any FA's later on, if any. But I am still not as enthused after the pick last night. Not the potential of the player, but more the players they passed on at the time. time will tell obviously.
I don't pay MUCH attention to things outside of the big deals, but wasn't we the last team to sign anyone in free agency that wasn't on our team last year?