The Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Without question, I'd be surprised of Dak weren't re-signed this year. Returning to the days of yesteryear, when we couldn't get a successful QB to save our souls, was a commonplace occurrence. Jerry isn't anyone to have a clue what an outstanding QB looks like or plays like. After all, he was definitely enamored by none other than Johnny Football, only to be outnumbered by the entire coaching staff, before he finally submitted to their much better judgment. A repeat of that era wouldn't be likely to appeal to anyone resembling a C'boys fan.

In terms of the future, JJ will likely be obliged to agree to more $$ than his druthers might suggest but that nobody's fault but his own for not signing Dak earlier. Additionally, I'm desperately hoping Dak realizes he'd be better off in the long run to keep his demands reasonable, since his success will rely greatly upon a successful defense to maximize his success in 2021 and beyond. Sane judgment should rightfully demand as much. ;)

Last edited:

Brax

Reaction score
9 4th quarter comeback wins (including a playoff win against Seattle) and 14 GW drives.

Hmmm. Funny. Doesn't sound like a non clutch player to me. Go sit in the corner.
1 play off win in 5 years, you never get out of the corner do you?. look at the career leaders he's like # 95. What's it 1 GW drive in 3 years, Dak is a earth shaker got ya.

phildadon86

Reaction score
1 play off win in 5 years, you never get out of the corner do you?. look at the career leaders he's like # 95. What's it 1 GW drive in 3 years, Dak is a earth shaker got ya.
Oh yes lets forget the other 2 years hes played. lol. Wow. agenda much?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Without question, I'd be surprised of Dak weren't re-signed this year. Returning to the days of yesteryear, when we couldn't get a successful QB to save our souls was a commonplace occurrence. Jerry isn't anyone to have a clue what an outstanding QB looks like or plays like. After all, he was enamored by none other than Johnny Football, only to be outnumbered by the entire coaching staff, before he finally submitted to their better judgment. He'll probably be obliged to agree to more than his druthers demands but that nobody's fault but his own for not doing so earlier. I'm hoping, nevertheless that Dak realizes he'd be better off in the long run to keep his demands reasonable, since his success will largely rely upon a successful defense to maximize his success in 2021 and beyond.

I agree, and I hope that Jerry and Dak can agree to a deal that is sort of a built-in restructured deal. What I mean by that is, normally contracts when signed have a lot of guaranteed money at the front that tappers off to the later years. Given where the salary cap is going to be this offseason due to COVID and what the cap should do the next 2 seasons as new TV deals and possibly streaming and virtual service deals are reached, I think they should do a contract that is almost backwards of that. Mind you, Jerry's never been shy of doing things completely different to everyone else. I'd have the guaranteed money early on a bit low to account for the drop of COVID, and then have the guaranteed escalate over the course of the contract to account for what should be an escalated salary cap over the course of the next few years. I think that'd be a smart deal that still allows us to build around Dak, but it would give him the money and time that he's looking for. Additionally, as stated, you're completely right that Jerry hasn't got a clue as to what an outstanding QB looks like. I'd love to have thought he learned from seeing Romo, but then he had his mind set on Manziel, Lynch, and Connor Cook. Maybe after Romo and Dak he'll have a better idea, but I don't trust him at QB evaluation.

Londonboy

Reaction score
And now, the Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006, brought to you by Furboy

AdorableWhichGallinule-max-14mb.gif

Troy Aikman, Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Clint Storner. Ryan Leaf's moral compass was not in one piece, Quincy Carter's mind was gone, there's Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Vinny watch the birdie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo *falls*

Point of this hopefully humourous post in the tune and parody of Yakko's World will help you all understand why we need to keep Dak. In case you forgot about those horrendous years, we went through a bad stretch between when Aikman couldn't play anymore until we lucked into Romo. For those that think that simply replacing a franchise QB with the leadership intangibles that Dak has, remember those years. For 5 and a half years, we didn't have a franchise QB. The only reason we had one was because Sean Payton managed to steal Romo away from the Broncos as a UDFA, and somehow, he didn't take Romo to New Orleans with him when he left for there. Oh, and then Parcells started to use him more. If not for all of that, I suspect we probably would still be looking for a franchise QB. Idk about you, but I would hate to return to THOSE years of searching for a franchise QB. Those years were an awful introduction to being a Cowboys fan for me as all I knew for my first few years as a fan was 5-11.
Were You alive then?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well done for sticking it out through those lean times, right through to the... current lean times.

Thank you. Unfortunately, it seems my patience is not likely to be rewarded anytime soon. I hope that we can turn it around soon, but things just seem to be falling apart, and I see us heading straight back to what I started with if not worse with how badly Jerry has handled the situation.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Thank you. Unfortunately, it seems my patience is not likely to be rewarded anytime soon. I hope that we can turn it around soon, but things just seem to be falling apart, and I see us heading straight back to what I started with if not worse with how badly Jerry has handled the situation.
Chin up Old Chap, there's always light at the end of the tunnel (though it often turns out to be an onrushing train).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Chin up Old Chap, there's always light at the end of the tunnel (though it often turns out to be an onrushing train).

I'm trying to keep my chin up, dear boy. Honestly, but it is kind of hard when I've not tasted the success that most on this board have.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Danooch looks like he sucks........

I'm not encouraged by DaNooch the player. Yeah, looked like he sucks. If we bring in new QBs to replace him on the roster, or at least compete for the spot, great.
I'm encouraged that management took a flyer on a 7th round QB and kept him on the roster. Indicates to me that maybe they plan on putting more resource into developing QBs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not encouraged by DaNooch the player. Yeah, looked like he sucks. If we bring in new QBs to replace him on the roster, or at least compete for the spot, great.
I'm encouraged that management took a flyer on a 7th round QB and kept him on the roster. Indicates to me that maybe they plan on putting more resource into developing QBs.
How is that any different than drafting Stephen McGee or Mike White? Hell at least they were 4th and 5th round picks.....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How is that any different than drafting Stephen McGee or Mike White? Hell at least they were 4th and 5th round picks.....

Mike White was a try. That was better than doing nothing, but less than I would have liked from 2017-2019. DaNooch is a try in the 1st year for McCarthy. And we picked up Gilbert. I hope to see another QB drafted this year to compete with DaNooch. That's the tell, IMO. Are they really going to devote resources to this, or not?

If DaNooch loses to the new guy, we cut him and probably get him to the PS.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
And now, the Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006, brought to you by Furboy

AdorableWhichGallinule-max-14mb.gif

Troy Aikman, Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Clint Storner. Ryan Leaf's moral compass was not in one piece, Quincy Carter's mind was gone, there's Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Vinny watch the birdie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo *falls*

Point of this hopefully humourous post in the tune and parody of Yakko's World will help you all understand why we need to keep Dak. In case you forgot about those horrendous years, we went through a bad stretch between when Aikman couldn't play anymore until we lucked into Romo. For those that think that simply replacing a franchise QB with the leadership intangibles that Dak has, remember those years. For 5 and a half years, we didn't have a franchise QB. The only reason we had one was because Sean Payton managed to steal Romo away from the Broncos as a UDFA, and somehow, he didn't take Romo to New Orleans with him when he left for there. Oh, and then Parcells started to use him more. If not for all of that, I suspect we probably would still be looking for a franchise QB. Idk about you, but I would hate to return to THOSE years of searching for a franchise QB. Those years were an awful introduction to being a Cowboys fan for me as all I knew for my first few years as a fan was 5-11.

A franchise QB should at least take a team to a championship game?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
A franchise QB should at least take a team to a championship game?

Yes and no. The QB should be able to, but, if the team around him is crap and he's the clear reason that the team has success, that qualifies imo as a franchise QB. Matt Stafford and Derek Carr haven't been to their respective conference championship, but I think they qualify as franchise QBs for their teams. Tony Romo never could get us to the NFCC, but he was, imo, the franchise QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Just the same, I think Dak is because he's the clear reason of late that this team has success in my observation.