The Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Same man, I was born in ‘95 so the 1999-2000 Cowboys were my first memories of watching football. I actually will always have a soft spot for Quincy Carter because that one season was fun and he had a little juice to his game.

In fact it is because of these terrible years that my favorite QB has always been Romo. He was the only one worth a damn when I was growing up.

Same here, having been born in 1992. And Romo and Dak are the two best QBs that i've ever known on the Cowboys.

Turk

Reaction score
I have been a fan since 1968. My experience has been the opposite. Franchise QBs do grow on trees.

The only times Dallas hasn't had a franchise QB has been between White and Aikman for a couple of years and the period you're describing. So for the vast majority of the time I have enjoyed good QB play.

This franchise has been blessed being able to find QBs. When Prescott is gone the next franchise QB will just fall out the tree and into our hands.
We have been incredibly fortunate to have excellent to great QB play for more years since 1960 then any other franchise. Eddie Lebaron, Don Meredith, Craig Morton, Roger Staubach, Danny White, Troy Aikman, Tony Romo, Dak Presscot..

Really we have only had poor QB play around 85-89 and 2000-2006. and even in that later period Vinny was not terrible Q was almost decent and Bledsoe's first year was not bad.
Even 2010 we had a very good backup in Kitna. The only terrible year of QB play up until this last one was our well known year of disaster when Romo was out.

I was trying to find any other team as fortunate and none come close. Miami had Griese then Marino but no one since. Pitt had Brashaw and the not quite bumbs up to the Rapist. SF probably comes closest going from Brodie to Montana to Young. But after that?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We have been incredibly fortunate to have excellent to great QB play for more years since 1960 then any other franchise. Eddie Lebaron, Don Meredith, Craig Morton, Roger Staubach, Danny White, Troy Aikman, Tony Romo, Dak Presscot..

Really we have only had poor QB play around 85-89 and 2000-2006. and even in that later period Vinny was not terrible Q was almost decent and Bledsoe's first year was not bad.
Even 2010 we had a very good backup in Kitna. The only terrible year of QB play up until this last one was our well known year of disaster when Romo was out.

I was trying to find any other team as fortunate and none come close. Miami had Griese then Marino but no one since. Pitt had Brashaw and the not quite bumbs up to the Rapist. SF probably comes closest going from Brodie to Montana to Young. But after that?

Yup, that we have. And 2000-2006 was not fun at all imo except 2003 and 2006 when Romo took over.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Troy Aikman, Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Clint Storner. Ryan Leaf's moral compass was not in one piece, Quincy Carter's mind was gone, there's Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Vinny watch the birdie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo *falls*

Point of this hopefully humourous post in the tune and parody of Yakko's World will help you all understand why we need to keep Dak.

5th 2018 Mike White
4th 2016 Dak Prescott
4th 2009 Stephen McGee
UDFA 2007 Matt Moore
UDFA 2004 Tony Romo
2nd 2001 Quincy Carter

That's what we've *spent* on QB under Jerry post Aikman.
Pretty much nothing.

But that nothing yielded two franchise QBs who made pro bowls and a 12 year career backup. Massive returns on little investment.

The lesson is not that it's hard, but that it's easy. Just invest more often to give us more chances to hit on someone. Developing QBs should be a high priority, and we should spend an extra roster spot to do it.

Churn young guys and try to hit on them. Keep bringing new ones in and have a competition to see who stays. Keep guys on the PS. Maybe this time avoid the personality rejects and the baseball players.

We only spent one real pick under Dak trying to find the next Dak. Just dumb.

Looking at the league's recent history, I'd be churning running QBs *and running them* to get the extra value out of them while they're cheap instead of trying to preserve their health so we can mortgage the team to sign them as they near free agency.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

GB has had Favre and Rogers since 92.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
5th 2018 Mike White
4th 2016 Dak Prescott
4th 2009 Stephen McGee
UDFA 2007 Matt Moore
UDFA 2003 Tony Romo
2nd 2001 Quincy Carter

Pretty much nothing.

But that nothing yielded two franchise QBs who made pro bowls and a 12 year career backup. Massive returns on little investment.

The lesson is not that it's hard, but that it's easy. Just invest more often to give us more chances to hit on someone. Developing QBs should be a high priority, and we should spend an extra roster spot to do it.

Churn young guys and try to hit on them. Keep bringing new ones in and have a competition to see who stays. Keep guys on the PS. Maybe this time avoid the personality rejects and the baseball players.

Looking at the league's recent history, I'd be churning running QBs *and running them* to get the extra value out of them while they're cheap instead of trying to preserve their health so we can mortgage the team to sign them as they near free agency.

As far as QBs that we brought in from college, yes. However, let's not forget all the other QBs that we had in the span I talked about. All of whom actually played. Romo and Dak of the ones that we've talked about since Aikman are the only 2 QBs we got that are genuine franchise QBs. I'd love for us to develop more QBs. I truly do. However, as of now, we are just about out of time if not completely out of time to draft a QB high if we want to start fixing this defence. We have a solid offence atm. What we need is at least an average defence to compliment that. Here, let me take you through all the defencive picks that we've had since 2009 when we moved into AT&T Stadium. THIS is why we struggle:

AnnualShimmeringEastrussiancoursinghounds-size_restricted.gif

(2009) Jason Williams of Western Illinois, Victor Butler was an Oregon State Beaver, Brandon Williams was a Red Raider, there's Deangelo Smith from Cincinnati Ohio, Michael Hamlin was a safety from Clemson, then there's Stephen Hodge was a Horned Frog, and Mike Mickens of Cincinnati. (2010) Sean Lee was Penn State who's been a joy, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah was a safety from Indiana PA, Jamar Wall was a CB from Texas Tech, and Sean Lissemore was a DE from William & Penn. (2011) Bruce Carter was a LB from North Carolina, then we go north to Josh Thomas (CB) from Buffalo, (2012) Morris Claiborne was from Lousiana State, Tyron Crawford was from Boise Idaho by way of Canada, you got Kyle Wilber was a LB from Wake Forest, Matt Johnson was from Eastern Washington but never played, and Caleb McSurdy from Montana. (2013) JJ Wilcox was from Georgia Southern, south of BW Webb from William and Mary, and DeVonte Holloman LB from Carolina. (2014) Tank Lawrence came from Boise State Idaho, Anthony Hitchens was from Iowa, Ben Gardner DE was from Stanford, Will Smith LB was east from Texas Tech, Ahmad Dixon S was just a quick jaunt from Baylor, Ken Bishop DT was from Northern Illinois, and Terrance Mitchell CB was from Oregon. *fiddles more* Byron Jones was from Connecticut, Randy Gregory was from Nebraska, Damien Wilson came north from Minnesota, Ryan Russell DE was from Purdue, and Mark Nzeocha came from Wyoming by way of Germany. (2016) Jaylon Smith is a LB from Notre Dame, Maliek Collins was a DT from Nebraska, Charles Tapper was a DE from Oklahoma, Anthony Brown's a CB from Purdue, and Kavon Frazier was from Central Michigan. (2017) Taco Charlton's a DE from Michigan, Chidobe Awuzie from Colorado, Jourdan Smith came from Michigan, Xavier Woods was a S from Louisiana Tech, Marquez White was a CB from Florida State, Joey Ivie was a DT from Florida, and Jordan Carrell (DE) came from Colorado. (2018) LVE the Wolf came from Boise State, Dorance Armstrong came from Kansas, Chris Covington came from Indiana, (2019) Trystan Hill came from Central Florida, north of Michael Jackson in Miami, with Joe Jackson from Miami, Donovan Wilson came from Texas A&M, and Jalen Jelks from Oregon. (2020) Trevon Diggs came from Alabama, Neville Gallimore came from Oklahoma by way of Canada, Reggie Robinson from Tulsa, and Bradlee Anae. *pants and falls*

Point of that, not many high draft picks on D, and very few were successful here compared to what we drafted. If we drafted better, we probably don't have the issue we have now.

12+88=7

Reaction score

I was going to include LeBaron(I never saw) and Morton. Thanks for updating.

I was obviously joking about franchise QBs growing on trees, but the younger fans don't study the team's history before they became fans.

Like you stated, Dallas might be the most blessed franchise when it comes to this position. I thought Green Bay might be next with Starr, Favre, and Rodgers. Three HOFers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly! 38-40 is now the GOING RATE. And that's only going to go higher. Unless you plan to become the Jets and what the Browns were before Mayfield, you can't just have a revolving door at QB, and you sure as hell can't expect every QB you draft to be a success. Even first round QBs. We should know! We had close shaves with QBs that Jerry clearly thought were first round talents.
Exactly. I can’t wait to see what Rodgers gets again...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
5th 2018 Mike White
4th 2016 Dak Prescott
4th 2009 Stephen McGee
UDFA 2007 Matt Moore
UDFA 2004 Tony Romo
2nd 2001 Quincy Carter

Pretty much nothing.

Ehhh what’s missing from this story is the Cowboys were interested in Connor Cook and tried to trade up and mortgage the future to get Paxton Lynch. With the owner raving how they wanted Manziel.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ehhh what’s missing from this story is the Cowboys were interested in Connor Cook and tried to trade up and mortgage the future to get Paxton Lynch. With the owner raving how they wanted Manziel.

And the fact that Jerry was basically forced to take Martin. He was actively trying to get Manziel. Imagine the humiliation we'd have had if Manziel was our QB. Talk about a circus! Manziel, Dez, and Garrett? I can see why Jerry wanted him. Thank goodness smarter heads prevailed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Goff got his team to the SB, as for Wentz , why make the same mistake. Both contracts are team killers and you want to do the same to the Cowboys, just don't get it. Goff and Wentz are not making 38-40 million a year so not sure were thats coming from as for Dak he has not accomplished anything to justify elite money..
I’m just telling you what it is. 38-40 ain’t elite money. 45 million and up is....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And the fact that Jerry was basically forced to take Martin. He was actively trying to get Manziel. Imagine the humiliation we'd have had if Manziel was our QB. Talk about a circus! Manziel, Dez, and Garrett? I can see why Jerry wanted him. Thank goodness smarter heads prevailed.
Would’ve been a mess. Maybe entertaining but a mess nonetheless lol.

Turk

Reaction score
GB has had Favre and Rogers since 92.
Correct.

My hatred of Green Bay probably had something to do with missing them. Yes they would be in second place. They had the dead zone between Starr and Favre With only a couple of good years from Dan Patorini. Though now while I am thinking about it they might have had one other QB that gave them a good year or two.
What sets us apart is how many good to excellent QBs we had in addition to our 2 HOF's. We got Pro bowl performances from Eddie Lebaron, Don Meredith, Danny White, Tony Romo and Dak Presscot.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

If you start with the assumption that we're incompetent and can only pay top dollar, then you may as well give up now. We'll never win. We'll buy a bunch of overpriced players, then have nothing of a team under them.

There is no guarantee on any pick. There is always risk there. We were stupid and only picked White since Dak took over. It should be a continual process. It wasn't. We were stupid. We could have spent some real picks and tried so we'd have guys in house who we've evaluated. But we didn't, and we've got nothing. We could stop being stupid this year, or mortgage the team's future for Dak.

I'm encouraged that we drafted and kept DaNooch. A small step in the right direction. McCarthy is supposed to be the QB Whisperer. Let's give him the option and resources to show us what he can do.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you start with the assumption that we're incompetent and can only pay top dollar, then you may as well give up now. We'll never win. We'll buy a bunch of overpriced players, then have nothing of a team under them.

There is no guarantee on any pick. There is always risk there. We were stupid and only picked White since Dak took over. It should be a continual process. It wasn't. We were stupid. We could have spent some real picks and tried so we'd have guys in house who we've evaluated. But we didn't, and we've got nothing. We could stop being stupid this year, or mortgage the team's future for Dak.

I'm encouraged that we drafted and kept DaNooch. A small step in the right direction. McCarthy is supposed to be the QB Whisperer. Let's give him the option and resources to show us what he can do.

I get that, but here's the big issue that we have. We need a defence. Majorly. Dinucchi isn't going to be ready this season. Romo came aboard in 2003 and wasn't ready until 2006. So, unless the plan is to tank the next couple of seasons (which won't be hard if we don't fix the run stopping issues that we have), I think we have to at least keep Dak this season while we try to fix the gaping holes that is our defence. If we're smart, we'll finally address the defence which needs serious fixing.