The Cowboys QBs of 2000-2006

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Point of that, not many high draft picks on D, and very few were successful here compared to what we drafted. If we drafted better, we probably don't have the issue we have now.

Lots of high drafted defensive picks 2016-2019. We just whiffed on those years. Taco, LVE in the 1st, Jaylon practically in the 1st.

2016 2,3,4
2017 1,2,3
2018 1,4
2019 2
2020 2,3,4

Gotta draft better on defense. This is the unacknowledged story in Dallas. There's a pretense that the defense is poor because it hasn't gotten resources. But it has gotten lots of picks. The picks just didn't pan out.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lots of high drafted defensive picks 2016-2019. We just whiffed on those years. Taco, LVE in the 1st, Jaylon practically in the 1st.

2016 2,3,4
2017 1,2,3
2018 1,4
2019 2
2020 2,3,4

Gotta draft better on defense. This is the unacknowledged story in Dallas. There's a pretense that the defense is poor because it hasn't gotten resources. But it has gotten lots of picks. The picks just didn't pan out.

I agree entirely. The Cowboys have to do better at drafting defence. If we had, we would probably not be having the problem that we are having right now whether we have to choose to keep Dak and go all defence or potentially have to take a QB a bit earlier than we should and keep our defencive issues in a deteriorating situation with no guarantee that the alternative to Dak will be any better thus starting another search for a franchise QB. If we are going to sign Dak, we better do it sooner than later. Once the other QBs start to get signed, it's only going to become more expensive to keep Dak. If we don't act quickly enough, then it's only going to become more expensive to sign Dak thus potentially triggering having to take a QB earlier than I think we'd want to given the issues I've described on this team. Of course, it's entirely Jerry's fault. If he had taken TJ Watt and Juan Thornhill like we should have, I think we'd have been in a position where signing Dak is a no brainer because we'd have had 2 successful seasons.

exciter

Reaction score
Pay top dollar for empty calorie 8-8 Dak.
Yahooo.....no need to wonder why this fan base and owner is ridiculed throughout the NFL world.
Lol! 42~27 for his career. Watson who everyone is fawning over is 28~25. Only ones being ridiculed are those who don’t realize you sign your franchise QB long term!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lol! 42~27 for his career. Watson who everyone is fawning over is 28~25. Only ones being ridiculed are those who don’t realize you sign your franchise QB long term!

Yup, and we are lucky to have Dak. Unfortunately, now because of idiotic cap spending after what Parcells fixed, we are back to cap issues and having to make hard decisions. We are on a razor's edge imo.

exciter

Reaction score
Yup, and we are lucky to have Dak. Unfortunately, now because of idiotic cap spending after what Parcells fixed, we are back to cap issues and having to make hard decisions. We are on a razor's edge imo.
Not really, Dak is the only player that has to be signed this year. Jaylen will almost certainly be released next year. They probably part ways with Tyron the year after creating space in both.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Who cares about Zeke, Daks1-2 in play offs, the philly debacle, 5 years 1 play off win 2 playoff appearances. Pressure is on Dak cracks just the way it is, already had one of those no one should want another especially at elite money.
Dak has the most 4th quarter comebacks next to Tom Brady since coming into the league. You may want to pump the brakes a bit you sound like an idiot. Dak has never cracked under the pressure. Ever. The problem is you people forget or plain old dont want to see that he puts them in a position to win and the rest of the team crumbles. Witten's fumble in NO, Amari not even on the field against Philly, Zeke fumbling, yet its all on Dak. I guess he should have suited up and played DT against the rams in the playoffs too. Idiotic take.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not really, Dak is the only player that has to be signed this year. Jaylen will almost certainly be released next year. They probably part ways with Tyron the year after creating space in both.

I could see that working, and you're right about that. Dak is the only of our FAs that we have to sign.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He’s not 5 million better than those guys?
not even close hes very much on their level same inconsistent play and fast playoff exits..heck at least Goff and JG went to SBs and well wentz was in the mists of an MVP type season when he git hurt and that aided in the SB run. he at least has ring..most of the highest paid player son the QB list have been to an a CCG or a sb and or won some..

situations dictate numbers and stats etc so i lump them all in the same area code, so Dak under 35 i can live with, over ill chirp when needed but like all other overpaid players once they are DCs ill cheer and support them on gameday. Its out of our hands right now..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
not even close hes very much on their level same inconsistent play and fast playoff exits..heck at least Goff and JG went to SBs and well wentz was in the mists of an MVP type season when he git hurt and that aided in the SB run. he at least has ring..most of the highest paid player son the QB list have been to an a CCG or a sb and or won some..

situations dictate numbers and stats etc so i lump them all in the same area code, so Dak under 35 i can live with, over ill chirp when needed but like all other overpaid players once they are DCs ill cheer and support them on gameday. Its out of our hands right now..

Could it be that Goff has an outstanding defence centered by Aaron Donald versus the defence that Dak has? To me, that's why Goff went to the SB and Dak did not. Also a BS no PI against New Orleans didn't help matters either.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Could it be that Goff has an outstanding defence centered by Aaron Donald versus the defence that Dak has? To me, that's why Goff went to the SB and Dak did not. Also a BS no PI against New Orleans didn't help matters either.

could it be IDC i watched all of them play and they all are in the same area code of play..mid to high tier two not tier 1 and especially not élite..

they are Good also add Carr, tannehill etc all these guys are barely better then say layers below them as much as they are X amount above them as royce is intimating.. ive seen all those players play as well as dak or as bad as dak..the separation is minimal..

35 is my cap if i were a GM or owner, for all of them and right now most are under that and who cares about new money and market,,blah blah blah,

BTW

Its DEFENSE.. trust your spell checker lol

maybe you an Jerry cant spell defense, therefore cant build one :)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
could it be IDC i watched all of them play and they all are in the same area code of play..mid to high tier two not tier 1 and especially not élite..

they are Good also add Carr, tannehill etc all these guys are barely better then say layers below them as much as they are X amount above them as royce is intimating.. ive seen all those players play as well as dak or as bad as dak..the separation is minimal..

35 is my cap if i were a GM or owner, for all of them and right now most are under that and who cares about new money and market,,blah blah blah,

BTW

Its DEFENSE.. trust your spell checker lol

maybe you an Jerry cant spell defense, therefore cant build one :)

I'm half English on my mother's side, and I enjoy spelling it that way haha. My point with Goff is that a good defence can help you as a QB get over the hump. In Goff's case, he's got an ELITE D. Easily a top 5 D. Meanwhile, we have a bottom 5 D. With the weapons that we have now, imagine what Dak would do with an elite defence like what Goff has.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

So your argument is that Dak isn't 5 million better because they have had better coaches and better teams surrounding them? So using this logic.....Goff should be getting paid more than Deshaun Watson?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you start with the assumption that we're incompetent and can only pay top dollar, then you may as well give up now. We'll never win. We'll buy a bunch of overpriced players, then have nothing of a team under them.

There is no guarantee on any pick. There is always risk there. We were stupid and only picked White since Dak took over. It should be a continual process. It wasn't. We were stupid. We could have spent some real picks and tried so we'd have guys in house who we've evaluated. But we didn't, and we've got nothing. We could stop being stupid this year, or mortgage the team's future for Dak.

I'm encouraged that we drafted and kept DaNooch. A small step in the right direction. McCarthy is supposed to be the QB Whisperer. Let's give him the option and resources to show us what he can do.
Danooch looks like he sucks........

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'll admit, I have First Take on in the background while I do my work right now, and they just had Coach Jimmy Johnson on. Jimmy Johnson LITERALLY just said EVERYTHING I've been saying about Dak! This deal should've been done 3 years ago. 2 years ago, and last year! We screwed ourselves by waiting! Jimmy also stated that we SHOULD sign Dak and that we CAN win with him. As I've said, he stated that Dak's not Mahomes, but he's a fine QB that you can win with. Thank you very much Jimmy Johnson for helping me make my point!

blueblood70

Reaction score
So your argument is that Dak isn't 5 million better because they have had better coaches and better teams surrounding them? So using this logic.....Goff should be getting paid more than Deshaun Watson?
nope and DW should have also been capped under 35mil..that will be all who cares the FO will make the final decision and lie it or not we will still follow watch and debate from now till death do us part..im busy rolling on with work stuff..4th due from all sides year end closeouts etc,,cant debate this any further..

Brax

Reaction score
Dak has the most 4th quarter comebacks next to Tom Brady since coming into the league. You may want to pump the brakes a bit you sound like an idiot. Dak has never cracked under the pressure. Ever. The problem is you people forget or plain old dont want to see that he puts them in a position to win and the rest of the team crumbles. Witten's fumble in NO, Amari not even on the field against Philly, Zeke fumbling, yet its all on Dak. I guess he should have suited up and played DT against the rams in the playoffs too. Idiotic take.
Look at what the stat you quote really means so you don't appear to be a total idiot. The stat that really means something is "Game winning drive comebacks qb" Can you guys give up on the Dak excuses and give Zeke a break, his back is broke from carrying Dak the first 4 years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Look at what the stat you quote really means so you don't appear to be a total idiot. The stat that really means something is "Game winning drive comebacks qb" Can you guys give up on the Dak excuses and give Zeke a break, his back is broke from carrying Dak the first 4 years.

The bad defence is not an excuse. I'll grant that Zeke has been a good reason why we've had success, but it's not like Dak was completely incompetent. In fact, Dak, from what I can see, has been improving by quite a bit since he started here. Sure, he went through a period of bad accuracy and rushing too much to get throws away in 2017 after the Falcons game. However, since 2018, I daresay Dak has been a completely different QB than the 2016 and 2017 QB versions of himself that we saw, and his 2016 version was quite good. He still takes care of the ball relatively well compared to others. His accuracy is MILES better. I would say that is one of the reasons why he's absolutely killing everyone in the division in terms of QB play. He's been making all of the throws of late. His footwork is much better. We so often criticise (and rightly so) players who don't get better or show drop off and regret extending them. The reason I don't think we'll have that problem with Dak is because he's been getting better every year. He clearly shows the heart to improve and be the best. I think his development atm has him on the cusp of becoming elite. I don't think he's quite there yet, but he's not far from it either which is marvelous considering his draft position imo.

phildadon86

Reaction score
9 4th quarter comeback wins (including a playoff win against Seattle) and 14 GW drives.

Hmmm. Funny. Doesnt sound like a non clutch player to me. Go sit in the corner.

Brax

Reaction score
The bad defence is not an excuse. I'll grant that Zeke has been a good reason why we've had success, but it's not like Dak was completely incompetent. In fact, Dak, from what I can see, has been improving by quite a bit since he started here. Sure, he went through a period of bad accuracy and rushing too much to get throws away in 2017 after the Falcons game. However, since 2018, I daresay Dak has been a completely different QB than the 2016 and 2017 QB versions of himself that we saw, and his 2016 version was quite good. He still takes care of the ball relatively well compared to others. His accuracy is MILES better. I would say that is one of the reasons why he's absolutely killing everyone in the division in terms of QB play. He's been making all of the throws of late. His footwork is much better. We so often criticise (and rightly so) players who don't get better or show drop off and regret extending them. The reason I don't think we'll have that problem with Dak is because he's been getting better every year. He clearly shows the heart to improve and be the best. I think his development atm has him on the cusp of becoming elite. I don't think he's quite there yet, but he's not far from it either which is marvelous considering his draft position imo.
We shall see as he is will be the DC QB a few more years. I don't hold any hope for real success, only time will tell. Just want to say thanks for a nice discussion with out the name calling and BS from some..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We shall see as he is will be the DC QB a few more years. I don't hold any hope for real success, only time will tell. Just want to say thanks for a nice discussion with out the name calling and BS from some..

No worries. I think it's awful that we're on a razor's edge between success and collapse. If we proceed carefully and make the right moves, we can have a great season next year imo. But, if we're not careful and we make a mistake at QB, we could be set back much longer than what people are worried about if we extend Dak.