The Cowboys should sit Zeke

Motorola

Reaction score
Yes the cap hit is just entirely too much at $30m. He looked good at the start of this season, pedestrian after his injury but yesterday showed he's on the upswing and should get more healed up these last few weeks. I think him and Pollard will get rested some and hopefully they get an RB3 involved.

Unless a player is actively hurting the team you can't eat a cap hit that large, and he is still an important cog in this offense.
Who's RB3 - Corey Clement ?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
i agree, the team will release him to save money. That's been obvious, and they're milking him dry by refusing to allow healing, even BEFORE Pollard got injured. BTW, has the OL play regressed over the years? I got it though......you simply want him out and that will probably be accommodated soon, and then onto the next player you feel should be out. Got it.
This. ^^^^^

It is the dumbest thing ever. The politics that go on are usually not "seen" by many fans. But you and I are seeing the same thing. The second Zeke "forced" Jerry to give him that extension...it was understood that "you better not come to work talking about you're hurt"

But...we are trying to WIN. We have a good chance at it this year. So the smart money would be to give him 2 weeks to refresh for a FOUR game playoff run. Every other player can sit because they are injured...but not Zeke? I see what is going on here!

Cmac

Reaction score
This. ^^^^^

It is the dumbest thing ever. The politics that go on are usually not "seen" by many fans. But you and I are seeing the same thing. The second Zeke "forced" Jerry to give him that extension...it was understood that "you better not come to work talking about you're hurt"

But...we are trying to WIN. We have a good chance at it this year. So the smart money would be to give him 2 weeks to refresh for a FOUR game playoff run. Every other player can sit because they are injured...but not Zeke? I see what is going on here!

I want to see TPollard as the bell cow. Let's see what he can do being the #1 back. The heck with his foot injury, since we're not resting injured RBs.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He showed enough pre knee injury this season. Zeke is fine he's legitimately hurt and is gutting it out for the team.

agree.

his Rushes have been limited.

I’d guess they know he only has so many rushes left on that knee, pre surgery.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
So when was Zeke 100%?

He hasn't been an elite RB in 3+ years. I detailed that in the thread linked in the OP.

How long are you willing to wait? Another 2 year?

I’d evaluate my options after this season but for now he’s needed. I’m not worried beyond the WFT game right now. We have a great opportunity ahead of us. All hands on deck and full steam ahead! We’ll deal with next years roster decisions when the time is right.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think they should give him a few games off for healing reasons. He is an excellent blocker and a decent short yardage back. They will need him for the playoffs and he isn't worth keeping after next year. For some reason the Cowboys are so hard headed about giving Zeke the ball. They never give Clement or Hardy many carries.

J-man

Reaction score
He isn't....good.

Who cares what is optimal cap wise if he's here no matter what.

He's taking snaps from good RBs.

I not getting into the debate about who should or shouldn't be getting more touches. I'm just letting you know that he isn't getting cut now and not even after this year. Regardless if he's performing at a high enough level, the $ says otherwise.

Sydla

Reaction score
He isn't....good.

Who cares what is optimal cap wise if he's here no matter what.

He's taking snaps from good RBs.

I am confused as to what you are arguing here.

Are you saying we should just cut him after this season, contract be damned?

You do realize that if they cut Elliott after this year, they would have to advance an additional $11 million in cap charges against our cap, right? We are already tight with the cap and looking at a situation where we are going to have to restructure some deals to get under the cap. So then cutting Elliott pre-June 1, would result in us having to add another $11 million in cap charges. Even if we designate him a June 1 cut, he provides zero cap relief.

I think he's overpaid and in decline too. But I also understand the business side of this. Cutting Elliott hurts the team in 2022 more than it helps the team.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yes the cap hit is just entirely too much at $30m. He looked good at the start of this season, pedestrian after his injury but yesterday showed he's on the upswing and should get more healed up these last few weeks. I think him and Pollard will get rested some and hopefully they get an RB3 involved.

Unless a player is actively hurting the team you can't eat a cap hit that large, and he is still an important cog in this offense.
The problem with the way you are thinking about the Cap is that the $30MM number is funds Zeke has already "earned." That hits the cap no matter what. But the longer you keep him you're actually accruing more debt. That's the compounding mistake.

Also we can agree to disagree on his importance to the team. He is AT BEST a league average RB at this moment. He is also not the best RB on the team at this moment. Because of his name and contract he's demanding big touches to the team's detriment.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Who concluded nothing is wrong with Zeke? We all know he is injured. It's amazing you completely changed the narrative. You think our OL, as a whole, is playing good?

Somehow the OL seems to learn to block only when Pollard is in the game? Strange.

Cmac

Reaction score
Somehow the OL seems to learn to block only when Pollard is in the game? Strange.
maybe.....but the blocking is not consistent when Pollard is in the game, as well. Now that's strange, if we want to think the OL, as a whole, is doing good.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I'm glad you are so proud of yourself for being right......LOL.....that's what wrong with many fans nowadays.....they say a player sucks and are happy when he does as opposed to hoping he doesn't suck!
Did you read that post. I assumed when we drafted Zeke he would be awesome. Still didn't want a RB. What my post did was to look back and evaluate whether he had been special. Sadly, the conclusion was no.

So actually what you accuse me of doing is the exact opposite of what I did lol.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
So we're definitely cutting him in the offseason right?

I wrote the following 30 months ago.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/how-special-is-ezekiel.437481/

And for 30 months Zeke hasn't been special. In fact he hasn't even been our best RB. In any case no matter your feelings he certainly has not been what we paid him.

Look...I always knew i'd be right. That was obvious. But we have a chance this year to go deep in the playoffs. We can't keep giving zeke all these touches if we want to get where we need to be.

We have to scale back his touches. He's worse than a JAG because he's taking opportunities from better players. Sucks man.

On the bright side...very happy the Giants drafted Barkley. LOL

Zeke has been awful since he's contract. I was all in on Pollard's rookie year as their primary back and making Zeke sit for the season. I knew that Zeke did not deserve that contract at that time. We should have signed Dak instead and make Pollard the primary back instead.

Now were stuck with Zeke not playing close to his contract. In fact, his performance is abysmal to say the least.

I would be ok with the Cowboys cutting Zeke and Tank to make some cap space for Gregory, Schultz and some other defensive players.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I am confused as to what you are arguing here.

Are you saying we should just cut him after this season, contract be damned?

You do realize that if they cut Elliott after this year, they would have to advance an additional $11 million in cap charges against our cap, right? We are already tight with the cap and looking at a situation where we are going to have to restructure some deals to get under the cap. So then cutting Elliott pre-June 1, would result in us having to add another $11 million in cap charges. Even if we designate him a June 1 cut, he provides zero cap relief.

I think he's overpaid and in decline too. But I also understand the business side of this. Cutting Elliott hurts the team in 2022 more than it helps the team.

Yes. 30MM is dead money because it is already guaranteed money we must pay Zeke.

If we keep him next year we guarantee another $12.4MM to Zeke.

Do you want to put another $12.4MM into Zeke?

BobSacamano

Reaction score
The problem with the way you are thinking about the Cap is that the $30MM number is funds Zeke has already "earned." That hits the cap no matter what. But the longer you keep him you're actually accruing more debt. That's the compounding mistake.

Also we can agree to disagree on his importance to the team. He is AT BEST a league average RB at this moment. He is also not the best RB on the team at this moment. Because of his name and contract he's demanding big touches to the team's detriment.
1.) Zeke is 6th in rushing (a quarter of the year playing with physical ailments), which is not average.

2.) Dallas is 10-4. How exactly is Zeke being a detriment?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I compare Zeke to a pitcher that is overused. Gets a noodle arm and no longer has his stuff.Then he is used differently, as your closer. Ferando Valenzuela was a prime example back in the day. They rode him too hard and for too many innings.He became a great closer. That is Zeke. Now can he still be effective? Heck yes! We saw it yesterday. He's a hammer! Great goal line guy and short yardage. He's not done yet. Resting him all together is bad for him. Zeke needs in game reps. Just don't give him 25 totes and he will last.

I think you're mistaken Pollard for Zeke. Zeke was terrible in the run game except for short yardage.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
1.) Zeke is 6th in rushing (a quarter of the year playing with physical ailments), which is not average.

2.) Dallas is 10-4. How exactly is Zeke being a detriment?

1) We still looking at counting stats and not efficiency?

2) The Cowboys are winning in spite of Zeke not because of him.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
1) We still looking at counting stats and not efficiency?

2) The Cowboys are winning in spite of Zeke not because of him.
1.) How efficient should a hobbled running back with a struggling oline supposed to look?

2.) I don’t believe you know what the term ‘detriment’ means.